Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2007, 11:10 PM

Default Re: questions about hoss\' style

who is leveling who here?
Old 06-10-2007, 12:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Lot of focus on calling down.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just read the hands schneids posted and it seems there is calling on the river and elsewhere there is raising.

[/ QUOTE ]

cant remember all the rest but let's start w/ the first one. schneids raises in hijack, and hoss calls w/ 48o. he checkraises flop w/ mp and calls 3 bet. he c/calls both the turn and river, despite both the flush and st draws arriving. how could this hand possibly be optimally played?? i dont understand!!
Old 06-10-2007, 01:03 AM

I'm pretty sure joker is a master leveller.
Old 06-10-2007, 01:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
wow id always sit on the left of him, this guy is a money making machine if he wouldnt run so frkn so hot, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

that guy in the picture is hot? wonder if he has any sweet dance moves? or knows any black bartenders with unparalleled ones!?
Old 06-10-2007, 02:41 AM

"this guy is a money making machine if he wouldnt run so frkn so hot, no? "

=shakespeare.
Old 06-10-2007, 12:40 PM

Im sure he plays a lot of situations sub optimally but deviating from perfect poker is not necessarily horrible. This call is the price he pays for his unbluffable image.
Old 06-15-2007, 12:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I just read the hands schneids posted and it seems there is calling on the river and elsewhere there is raising.

[/ QUOTE ]

cant remember all the rest but let's start w/ the first one. schneids raises in hijack, and hoss calls w/ 48o. he checkraises flop w/ mp and calls 3 bet. he c/calls both the turn and river, despite both the flush and st draws arriving. how could this hand possibly be optimally played?? i dont understand!!

[/ QUOTE ]

havent been on in the last week or so. anyone have any good ideas on how this hand might possibly have been played well (or how it may have been played 'expertly' by one of the best online). it obviously looks awful, and i did not search for it among hundreds of hands. was the first of schneids' histories. apparently this type of play is typical for hoss? i saw danger's comment about this being the sacrifice for an unbluffable image. but c'mon, this is how every 78/10 joe donk in the world might play this hand. looks horrible- he calls one of the known best online players, who raises from the HIJACK w/ 48o, then check calls down despite both draws coming in. hoss??

ive read about 100 pages of the book so far. fairly interesting, but not much yet that i feel i could tangibly use to improve my sh limit game in particular. interesting limit hand about how, against a preflop 3 better w/ a tight range in full ring, it is a huge mistake to c/f 99 on an ace hi board (assuming the opponent will play a specific strategy post flop, which in this case is that he folds to your turn bet after calling your flop raise w/ tens thru kings. interesting, and id like to see many more similar examples geared specifically to the game we play. perhaps another book, "Hoss' implementation of 'the math of poker' in sh limit" - or something to that effect!?
Old 06-15-2007, 12:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

havent been on in the last week or so. anyone have any good ideas on how this hand might possibly have been played well (or how it may have been played 'expertly' by one of the best online). it obviously looks awful, and i did not search for it among hundreds of hands. was the first of schneids' histories. apparently this type of play is typical for hoss? i saw danger's comment about this being the sacrifice for an unbluffable image. but c'mon, this is how every 78/10 joe donk in the world might play this hand. looks horrible- he calls one of the known best online players, who raises from the HIJACK w/ 48o, then check calls down despite both draws coming in. hoss??

ive read about 100 pages of the book so far. fairly interesting, but not much yet that i feel i could tangibly use to improve my sh limit game in particular. interesting limit hand about how, against a preflop 3 better w/ a tight range in full ring, it is a huge mistake to c/f 99 on an ace hi board (assuming the opponent will play a specific strategy post flop, which in this case is that he folds to your turn bet after calling your flop raise w/ tens thru kings. interesting, and id like to see many more similar examples geared specifically to the game we play. perhaps another book, "Hoss' implementation of 'the math of poker' in sh limit" - or something to that effect!?

[/ QUOTE ]

there's alot of different ways this could be explained, the most likely being a very singular 'mood' that the recent history between the two had produced. with my very limited experience at high stakes i've noticed that this type of dynamic develops quite often since everyone is already meth-level aggressive anyway. lose a few 3 or 4k dollar pots in a row to runner runners and you've got a bona fide sh*t throwing contest.
Old 06-15-2007, 12:28 AM

I tend to agree with your analysis of the hand. Basically what your saying is that how can you be so good when your strategy is to bet and raise with all good/great hand and call with just about anything else regardless of the fact that you are almost certainly beat. Where is the skill in that? He certainly has to be getting a huge overlay somewhere in his game to compensate for throwing away bets in situations like these. Where is that coming from is the question? I have my thoughts on that but it could get pretty lengthy. The obvious one is he wins way more than his fair share of no hand vs no hand situations and of course he gets without a doubt max value from his winners. Those are 2 very simple observations but I'll leave it at that.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-16-2007, 01:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

there's alot of different ways this could be explained, the most likely being a very singular 'mood' that the recent history between the two had produced. with my very limited experience at high stakes i've noticed that this type of dynamic develops quite often since everyone is already meth-level aggressive anyway. lose a few 3 or 4k dollar pots in a row to runner runners and you've got a bona fide sh*t throwing contest.

[/ QUOTE ]

appreciate the thoughts. maybe it is just kind of tilt or a pissing contest or whatever. but from what ive read, it seems to be his actual style. whatever the dynamic, though, this first hand seems impossible to justify mathematically (and the other thread stated that hoss is a 'mathematical' player who knowledge of the game is derived basically from 'the mathematics of poker' by chen!