Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2007, 05:01 AM

Default Re: Being Homeless

[ QUOTE ]
wet_work - doing the VW camper thing was one of my thoughts for a little while; not chasing a band, but taking a tour of all the US national parks. Any tips/trip report you wanna do on that would be awesome. I've had friends with those things and they seem to break down all the time. We once had to drive down from the Cascades to Tacoma in neutral because the transmission broke.

I've done a month backpack-hostelling around Europe before, and I did a month drive around the US last year, but giving up a home base is a big difference.

KKF - Met - how did you guys deal with the logistics?

[/ QUOTE ]
Here's some vw communities if you do decide to use a vw bus.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/
shoptalkforums.com
http://aircooled.net/
http://www.cal-look.com/index2.html
http://forums.aircooledtechnology.com/

You damn dirty hippie!
Old 05-28-2007, 03:18 PM

Don't wish to de-rail but...

RTW ticket at £660 GBP

[ QUOTE ]
That's a horrible idea since you will eventually end up perpetually traveling in a US prison doing this. Can't give up your citizenship either because it's pretty hard to travel with a passport from nowhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously, you need to do some research on this.
Old 05-28-2007, 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't wish to de-rail but...

RTW ticket at £660 GBP

[ QUOTE ]
That's a horrible idea since you will eventually end up perpetually traveling in a US prison doing this. Can't give up your citizenship either because it's pretty hard to travel with a passport from nowhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously, you need to do some research on this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll send them some stuff and see what they can come up with.

As for the second thing, you really going to tell me that wouldn't be horribly illegal for a US citizen to attempt to not pay taxes simply because they don't live in the USA? If so, you would be grossly mistaken.
Old 05-28-2007, 03:54 PM

A US citizen who wants to PT MUST give up his/her citizenship to legally avoid paying income tax (seem to recall $80K/yr is tax free for non-resident US citizens?). Huge leap for some, tiny step for others.

There's plenty of info about it out there on the web.
Old 05-28-2007, 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Make sure you leave him money to physically forward mail to you if necessary. Eventually you'll lose your debit card

[/ QUOTE ]

excellent advice....I am down to one (from 3) debit cards right now.
Old 05-28-2007, 04:52 PM

Yeah, people who do the true "PT" usually get citizenship from a tax-friendly carribean island nation. Like Audi said there's plenty of resources about it on the net if you care. If you're serious about being a PT for the rest of your life there are huge advantages, but I might want to come back and live in the US so wouldn't want to take that risk.
Old 05-28-2007, 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A US citizen who wants to PT MUST give up his/her citizenship to legally avoid paying income tax (seem to recall $80K/yr is tax free for non-resident US citizens?). Huge leap for some, tiny step for others.

There's plenty of info about it out there on the web.

[/ QUOTE ]

Except, you owe taxes to the USA for ten years after doing this. And if they think you did it to avoid taxes, good luck ever trying to enter the USA again to visit.

For me, it's worth the $60,000/year or whatever I pay in tax for the citizenship alone. Especially considering $15k of that is social security that I will theoretically get back.

If not having to pay taxes is worth not visiting the USA, then I guess that's their choice. Do PTers just buy citizenship on some Caribbean island nation so they can travel? Seems like a pain in the ass to have to get a visa to go EVERYWHERE though.
Old 05-28-2007, 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The IRS says that a US citizen who is out of the country for 330 days or more of the year does not owe any taxes on his first $70,000 earned outside the country. Clearly, you want to incorporate your business in some tax haven country and pay yourself less than $70,000 per year. By doing this, you can then travel around as a "PT" and legally avoid taxes.

[/ QUOTE ]

This, however, is something I have wanted to look into. I have no idea if this is legal/possible, but it appears to be worth exploring.
Old 05-28-2007, 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Except, you owe taxes to the USA for ten years after doing this. And if they think you did it to avoid taxes, good luck ever trying to enter the USA again to visit.

[/ QUOTE ]wow that's such a scam.
Old 05-28-2007, 05:49 PM

wait...it's 10 year on income with an US source. makes it less of a scam... I don't think any poker site is located in the us so poker is not an income you get from US [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]