Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2007, 02:20 PM

Default Re: Are the Yankees done for the year?

[ QUOTE ]
Clemens is certainly going to help. It's silly to think otherwise. But the Yankees nor their fans should expect him to go more than 5 or 6 innings in his starts. So will he be a/the difference maker with that inning total?

I have no idea, that's why I ask.

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF makes you think Clemens won't be able to 7 innings?
Old 05-20-2007, 02:25 PM

Because the Yankees defense is awful and they play in the AL East.

If he struggled making it 7 innings behind a good defense and getting to face worse hitters and a pitcher, it's going to be a bitch doin it for the Yanks.
Old 05-20-2007, 02:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Clemens is certainly going to help. It's silly to think otherwise. But the Yankees nor their fans should expect him to go more than 5 or 6 innings in his starts. So will he be a/the difference maker with that inning total?

I have no idea, that's why I ask.

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF makes you think Clemens won't be able to 7 innings?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because he wasn't able to in Houston, against weaker lineups.
Old 05-20-2007, 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Clemens by far the best pitcher in the NL over the past two years, and it's not even close? That's not true. He was great in 2005, but you could certainly make a case that Pedro was better, as he had the better WHIP. And 2006? He played basically a half season, and went 7-6. Sure, his peripherals were good as usual, but he didn't pitch enough to warrant the type of runaway distinction you're giving him over a 2 year run. Regardless, I still say he's not worth $28 million.

[/ QUOTE ]
I love how you mention peripherals and WHIP and than say but he went 7-6. He may not be worth $28 million, but they Yankees didn't give him that.

[ QUOTE ]
We'll agree to disagree on the non-travel clause. I don't see how Clemens' family is any more important than a 36 year old pitcher's family. I have never heard of this sort of deal being extended to any aging superstar that signs on with another team in any sport. For $28 million he should be devoting himself to that team. If spending more time with his family is that big of a priority to him, he should simply retire. He certainly doesn't need the money at this point.

[/ QUOTE ]
This doesn't happen in other sports because Baseball is the only sport where an allstar caliber play plays once every five games.

[ QUOTE ]
If my post is stupid and illogical, explain to me why many diehard Yankee fans I know (I have lived in NYC for 33 years) echo my sentiments. The Yankees are overpaying and overbabying this guy. It's a joke.

[/ QUOTE ]
Because many Yankees fans are stupid and illogical?
Old 05-20-2007, 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Clemens by far the best pitcher in the NL over the past two years, and it's not even close? That's not true. He was great in 2005, but you could certainly make a case that Pedro was better, as he had the better WHIP. And 2006? He played basically a half season, and went 7-6. Sure, his peripherals were good as usual, but he didn't pitch enough to warrant the type of runaway distinction you're giving him over a 2 year run. Regardless, I still say he's not worth $28 million.

[/ QUOTE ]
I love how you mention peripherals and WHIP and than say but he went 7-6. He may not be worth $28 million, but they Yankees didn't give him that.

[ QUOTE ]
We'll agree to disagree on the non-travel clause. I don't see how Clemens' family is any more important than a 36 year old pitcher's family. I have never heard of this sort of deal being extended to any aging superstar that signs on with another team in any sport. For $28 million he should be devoting himself to that team. If spending more time with his family is that big of a priority to him, he should simply retire. He certainly doesn't need the money at this point.

[/ QUOTE ]
This doesn't happen in other sports because Baseball is the only sport where an allstar caliber play plays once every five games.

[ QUOTE ]
If my post is stupid and illogical, explain to me why many diehard Yankee fans I know (I have lived in NYC for 33 years) echo my sentiments. The Yankees are overpaying and overbabying this guy. It's a joke.

[/ QUOTE ]
Because many Yankees fans are stupid and illogical?

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you name one pitcher who has ever had this no travel clause? This is uncharted territory, and it's a bad precedent for a sport that has already had more than it's fair share of bad publicity over the past few years.
Old 05-20-2007, 03:22 PM

Isn't this costing the Yankees 26 million after the luxury tax? Isn't that materially the same as 28 million? Why nitpick this?

It's unclear how much the Rocket will help the Yankees. What is clear is that he's upgrade over Chase Wright, Rasner, Karstens, Mike Myers, Kei Igawa, Matt De Salvo, and other notable scrubs they could trot out to start. The point is they don't care about the money, and it's not like they will shy away from spending more if they think that will help. It will therefore be worth it so long as he is not as bad as these other folks who are replacement level or worse.
Old 05-20-2007, 03:28 PM

Next year will be interesting

Yankees will most likly lose A-rod, hey are going to try and void Giambi's contract, Bobby A is gone, Torre is gone. Their bullpen besides Proctor, Henn, and Rivera is gone. They should try to trade Damon.

thats like 60-70 million gone right there.

Not sure who the free agents are next year but it could be interesting.
Old 05-20-2007, 05:10 PM

Now they are talking about voiding Giambi's contract...yikes, seems a little rough, no? His comments were pretty idiotic but voiding his contract reeks of scapegoating.
Old 05-20-2007, 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Now they are talking about voiding Giambi's contract...yikes, seems a little rough, no? His comments were pretty idiotic but voiding his contract reeks of scapegoating.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's coming from Buster Olney. Do you really believe him?
Old 05-20-2007, 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Giambi can only Dh and gets injuried 24/7 plus he is waaay overpaid...why wouldnt they want to void it?