Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2007, 01:43 AM

Default Re: The art of the insult.

Your real failing is your INABILITY TO USE A [censored] QUOTE BOX.

Sorry. I'm better now. Carry on.
Old 05-19-2007, 02:10 AM

The underlying issue folks here seem to be missing is the intention.

When one jokes about holocaust with a jewish friend and he/she doesn't mind, that's one thing. When you make the same joke around someone you know to be sensitive about the issue - you're being insensitive.

You are not well liked because you don't adjust your ways to the crowd. Is the crowd at fault for not adjusting or is it you? It's both.

I think both him and you are being very immature - thankfully, you are not 100% set in your mind and this thread might change you for the better [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-19-2007, 05:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]

When one jokes about holocaust with a jewish friend and he/she doesn't mind, that's one thing. When you make the same joke around someone you know to be sensitive about the issue - you're being insensitive.

You are not well liked because you don't adjust your ways to the crowd. Is the crowd at fault for not adjusting or is it you? It's both.

I think both him and you are being very immature - thankfully, you are not 100% set in your mind and this thread might change you for the better [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Very good points you make, but it's the internet and I don't see the point of being mature,especially when I'm so entertained by immaturity but frankly, I think his insult of my moral and spiritual ability is much more offensive than my making fun of his physical disability. So [censored] that cripple.
Old 05-19-2007, 05:39 AM

It's not something you see or don't see imho. It's something you are, or are not. Kinda like being charismatic, not something you put on when you go out, just something that glows [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Same goes for maturity I guess.

With time, one grows compassionate towards others and once that's in place, you no longer feel the need to disagree or argue or throw sticks in someone else's wheel - your goal becomes to understand [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Until that time - I can tell it felt like what he said was more insulting than what you said in response. But then they felt the other way. Who's right? Does it matter? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-19-2007, 09:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
illeagle,

Why were you on that board, wtf? I would feel miserable chatting with all of those other miserable people. So it is just a bunch drunks congregating, so like a bar on the net, that is so weird.

[/ QUOTE ]
Very weird. The mag has funny articles a lot of the time, but that board seems miserable (perfect descriptor).
Old 05-19-2007, 10:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]

PS There's no "art" to identifying a readily apparent weakness in another person and making a joke about it. Seventh-graders are great at this.

[/ QUOTE ]

The truly artful insult is identifying a not-so-apparent weakness and attacking it mercilessly.
Old 05-19-2007, 11:00 AM

If hes used his disability as a shield in his conversations or as a pull for sympathy or rally in any of his posts, have at it.

If not, while your comeback is on the wittier side, I always thought of racist slants and jokes dealing with someones physicality were always kind of a glorified "Whatever..." Like not being able to match wit with wit, so you dig on something else, whatever is there. I see people do it often, you have a guy who nails something about a person, or makes them feel uncomfortable, and then they go low blow. Not saying this guy hit a chord or anything, how am I supposed to know.
Old 05-19-2007, 02:56 PM

when i was in college i once told someone 'dont make me tell you what people say about you behind your back'

i thought that was a pretty good insult
Old 05-19-2007, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Very good points you make, but it's the internet and I don't see the point of being mature,especially when I'm so entertained by immaturity but frankly, I think his insult of my moral and spiritual ability is much more offensive than my making fun of his physical disability. So [censored] that cripple.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope. Yours is worse because first he can't change being a cripple, and second it's a lot more awful to be one than to just be an arsehole. Being an arsehole is only a minor disability, criticism of it often sounds like praise anyway to the arsehole frame of mind, and you can change being an arsehole any time you like. Your criticism is much worse and more petty and mean-spirited.
Old 05-19-2007, 04:02 PM

Its all about being net funny. If the sum of pain caused and resulting humour is positive, ship it.