Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2007, 12:19 PM

Default Re: Career Mess-Ups

[ QUOTE ]
Hope she continues to make more movies in the future because I kinda thought she was a great little actress.

[/ QUOTE ]

Last year she was in "A Scanner Darkly" which was a good movie. This year she has three movies lined up and has another movie lined up for 2008 according to imdb.
There was a big hiatus after her incident in 2002, but it seems to be better now for her. It seems like she will be on many movies once again.
Old 05-13-2007, 12:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One thing that worked in Richards' favour from my point of view is that his remarks were directed at hecklers. I have been to many live comedy shows; hecklers are fair game for whatever the comedian wants to throw back at them. If you aren't prepared to take it - DON'T HECKLE!

I remember in particular one semi-clean comedian doing his act, and some girl of obvious Newfoundlound heritage (serious newfie accent) starts heckling him, and it is readily apparent that she thinks she is being funny. After a little bit of attemtping to ignore her, and a little bit of mild comebacks, the comedian attacked her as a Newfie (her heritage) and as a woman (her sex). He was way better armed than her and the audience ate it up.

If you're black and attempt to ruin someone's comedy act by throwing out loud, and in your opinion 'witty' remarks, please expect the worst in return. If you don't like it, stfu and leave.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree, I don't think his words imply that he is a racist. It just implied that he didn't like the hecklers.
Old 05-13-2007, 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Woody was, perhaps, the most competitive man who ever lived. He had a history of losing his temper during games before this. I remember one time he was upset with the referees and he grabbed the yard marker, broke it in half and then tossed it out onto the field. He was PISSED.

.... The game was close. We had a chance and that chance was messed up by that interception. He just plain flat out lost it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like we have a bit of an anger problem here!

This reminds me a lot of Bobby Knight and his flying chairs [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

When Indiana University fired Bobby Knight back in 2000 it was hugely unpopular. The man was an icon for those of us who grew up in Indiana. We accepted Knight’s temper. Come on, the man is a freaking basketball genius. He knows how to coach a team of white boys. Lol, I thought for sure he had been fired over grabbing that one player’s throat, possibly even throwing his last chair onto the court, but someone refreshed my memory. It wasn't for those incidents at all. The straw that broke the camel’s back was grabbing the arm of a freshman who failed to show respect when he addressed him as “Knight.” [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]

In September 2000, an IU freshman named Kent Harvey reportedly said, "Hey, Knight, what's up?" to Bob Knight. According to Harvey, Knight grabbed him by the arm and berated him for not showing him proper respect. According to Knight, Harvey was exaggerating the incident; he only grabbed his arm and lectured him about manners and respect. Assistant coach Mike Davis supported Knight's statement. The Indianapolis Star published photos of Harvey with marks on his arm.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh my god, what a weenie. A few marks on your arm to bring down an icon? Geez.

[img]http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A9G_RqvgFjxGBhYBLi6jzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTA4NDgyNWN 0BHNlYwNwcm9m/SIG=12ajemhcj/EXP=1178429536/**http%3A//www.universities-weblog.com/50226711/Knight.jpg[/img] [img]http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A9G_RtipFzxG8BoB7yKjzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTA4NDgyNWN 0BHNlYwNwcm9m/SIG=12ojqie11/EXP=1178429737/**http%3A//media.collegepublisher.com/media/paper344/stills/epfqxa6y.jpg[/img]

Going for the jugular!

I don't follow basketball but I hear he has resurrected his career somewhere in Texas.
Old 05-13-2007, 01:48 PM

Old 05-13-2007, 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I don't follow basketball but I hear he has resurrected his career somewhere in Texas.

[/ QUOTE ]

Texas Tech.
He has been quite succesful.
Here is the paragraph from wikipedia:

After taking the next season off, all the while on the lookout for vacancies, Knight accepted the head coaching job at Texas Tech. At the press conference introducing him, Knight quipped, "This is the most comfortable red sweater I've had on in six years."

Knight quickly improved the program, which had not been to an NCAA tournament since 1996. He led the Red Raiders to postseason appearances in each of his first four years at the school (three NCAA Championship tournaments and one NIT). After a rough 2006 season, the team improved in 2007, finishing 21-13 and again making it to the NCAA Championship tournament, where it lost to Boston College in the first round. The best performance by the Red Raiders under Knight came in 2005 when they advanced as far as the Sweet Sixteen. In both 2002 and 2007 under Knight, Texas Tech defeated two Top 10-ranked teams in consecutive weeks. During Knight's first six years at Texas Tech, the Red Raiders have won 126 games, an average of 21 wins per season.
Old 05-13-2007, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
katy: I don't think there is any question that his anti-jew tirade messed up Mel's career, so he fits this thread nicely.

[/ QUOTE ]

It messed it up in the sense that Tom Cruise's ranting weirdnesses messed his up. Both men are far too big for Hollywood to turn away from them. Mel is not just an actor, but a director and a producer; a very rich one. He will have no problem staying in the industry.

Besides, as someone pointed out, he's rehabbing itself, and he's big enough that people care. Nobody cares if Michael Richards rehabs himself; he's small fry we don't have to find an excuse for.
Old 05-13-2007, 02:35 PM

How about that private-slapping genius, General George Patton?

Those guys who planted the bomb under Hitler's table that didn't wind up killing him were also probably pretty bummed out.
Old 05-13-2007, 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

It messed it up in the sense that Tom Cruise's ranting weirdnesses messed his up. Both men are far too big for Hollywood to turn away from them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you like my picture of Tom Cruise jumping on the couch? did ya did ya? I thought for sure you would comment on it. What was he thinking?
Old 05-13-2007, 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How about that private-slapping genius, General George Patton?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait a minute. I'm not familiar with this. What happened and did it damage his career? Are you not allowed to slap a private?
Old 05-13-2007, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

It messed it up in the sense that Tom Cruise's ranting weirdnesses messed his up. Both men are far too big for Hollywood to turn away from them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you like my picture of Tom Cruise jumping on the couch? did ya did ya? I thought for sure you would comment on it. What was he thinking?

[/ QUOTE ]

Jumping on Oprah's Coach certainly cannot do more harm than his involvement in...