Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2007, 08:03 AM

Default Re: To chop or not to chop?

[ QUOTE ]
First time I went to b&m, about 2 weeks ago, I didn't even know what chop meant. A woman sat down in the sb to my bb and asked if I wanted to and said she always chopped, only the house benefits from the rake. I said no problem. We chopped twice and she looked at her cards both times.

The third time, the "I always chop to avoid the rake" went right out the window. She looked at her cards and said "raise". I was pretty annoyed because I had chopped 2 hands with her without even looking.

I looked down at my hand to find my first ever pair of pocket aces. I just called. The flop came king high, I checked, she bet. Turn a rag, I checked, she bets I raise, she reraises, I call. The river, nothing to scare me, we go back and forth betting and raising. She turns over kj of clubs, and I take the pot.

She grabs her rack and starts packing up. As she was leaving, she actually said, I didn't know you were gonna act like a jerk. She really said that, honestly. I hadn't said anything to her to upset her at all. It was all I could do not to laugh right in front of her. Good times.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good story. Be careful, though, because normally the selective choppers need super-premium hands before they decline to chop.

One day in a 20-40 game at the Taj I had chopped with the BB once and seen her chop with another player once. It got folded around to me in the small blind, and I said "Chop?" She had this disgusted look on her face and said, "No." I looked down at my hand, thinking I'd probably fold QQ or worse. I saw 62o and folded. She disgustedly exposed KK.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:43 AM

Chopping Karma:

In one of my early live poker experiences, I am sitting next to a young kid and we are BSing for about three hours. This is a very loose 1/2 NL game and we have not had the opportunity to chop. We have both done well and have more than the max buy-in in front of us.

When the opportunity finally arose, he looks at his cards in SB and asks "Do you want to chop?" I approve. He then flips over his pocket 8s and tells me he would have raised me otherwise. I flip over my rockets and tell him that I would likely have raised back. The dealer, listening in, shows us what would have been the flop -- 8 high rainbow. Little chance that I would not have lost my stack there. Since then I have not complained about chopping a premium hand.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:49 AM

that was a [censored] move

its not worth pushing that small edge and pissing off the other players

the amount of times u miss playing a good hand because of a chop is a pindrop in your overall results

i've chopped A-K suited before
Old 05-11-2007, 12:57 PM

edit: bah bah bah, read the thread before posting [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-14-2007, 05:01 PM

Hmmm, I just re-read my first post in the thread, and realize that I mis-typed and makes it seem that I DO have a lot of live play experience.
In fact, I don't, and hadn't ever chopped before that night- and was looking for a general clarification of rules/good etiquitte. Typically playing online and drunk 2-4, 3-6, etc. games, chopping had never come up. No wonder why people were calling me a jerk! TY all for the insight, I don't believe I'll ever be chopping again.