Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2007, 09:09 PM

Default Re: challenge: try to describe a society more evil...

[ QUOTE ]
Deuteronomy starts out by saying Moses gave this law to the Israelites. The law that GOD gave to his people was the ten commandments.

[/ QUOTE ]
AND GOD SPAKE UNTO MOSES, SAYING

Do a bible search for "and god spake" or "and god said". Then follow the line of the quotation until its conclusion. Almost all of these atrocities and absurdities were mandated by God. What you call Moses's laws were actually God speaking. THAT'S THE POINT, DUMMY. Further, the new testament supports God's conversations with Moses in John 9:29 and elsewhere where Jesus supports the old prophets and laws (I can't find the quotation right now...but there are a few).

You are a clown until you address this point or admit that God's words and intent have been incorrectly recorded on multiple occasions in the bible, and that God allowed this to happen. If so, I get the right to chuckle at your (and others) claims that the New Testament is accurate and that God helped pick the correct books. As per my initial post which so offended you. QED.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:16 PM

Phil153,
Oh, you can't find the quotation right now. That's too bad.

Hey, do an interwebz seach for "All the stuff in the Bible". It should bring up some good hits. Follow the readings until the conclusion. It will clearly show you that I am right. Sorry, but I can't find the exact quotes right now. Also, I seemed to have lost the actual argument in your empty excuse for a skull, so you'll just have to google it.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Phil153,
Oh, you can't find the quotation right now. That's too bad.

Hey, do an interwebz seach for "All the stuff in the Bible". It should bring up some good hits. Follow the readings until the conclusion. It will clearly show you that I am right. Sorry, but I can't find the exact quotes right now. Also, I seemed to have lost the actual argument in your empty excuse for a skull, so you'll just have to google it.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is proof you have been owned, and know it [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I'm searching for the quotes right now to satisfy your curiosity. How about responding to the rest of my post in the meantime? Or do your Good Christian Values not include honesty?
Old 05-07-2007, 09:56 PM

Here you go. BTW, you don't have to google it, you clown, you can follow any of the above quotes back to their source (which go on for pages), where it clearly states "And God Said", or "And God Spake". Type the search terms into something like www.biblegateway.com It's all there. It's a simple, specific search.

As for Jesus' comments, which you claim I conveniently couldn't find:

Matthew 5:

17Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

18For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

2 Timothy 3:

16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

Luke 16:

17And it is easier for heaven and earth to pass, than one tittle of the law to fail.

18Whosoever putteth away his wife, and marrieth another, committeth adultery: and whosoever marrieth her that is put away from her husband committeth adultery.

There are many more where Jesus echos the laws and punishments of the Old Testament. For example, here he supports the punishment of Moses (from a direct commandment of God) for swearing at your mother or father (death):

Mark 7:

10For Moses said, Honour thy father and thy mother; and, Whoso curseth father or mother, let him die the death:

11But ye say, If a man shall say to his father or mother, It is Corban, that is to say, a gift, by whatsoever thou mightest be profited by me; he shall be free.

12And ye suffer him no more to do ought for his father or his mother;

13Making the word of God of none effect through your tradition, which ye have delivered: and many such like things do ye.

I think I've proven the point. It's amusing to see your good Christian values of honesty, respect, and trust at work in this thread.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not a single thing I read indicates that God directly mandates genocide.

[/ QUOTE ]
Not sure if this is what Phil had in mind, but one example is Deuteronomy 20:16-18 (this from the New International Version):

"16 However, in the cities of the nations the LORD your God is giving you as an inheritance, do not leave alive anything that breathes. 17 Completely destroy them—the Hittites, Amorites, Canaanites, Perizzites, Hivites and Jebusites—as the LORD your God has commanded you. 18 Otherwise, they will teach you to follow all the detestable things they do in worshiping their gods, and you will sin against the LORD your God."

This seems to clearly say that God has commanded genocide. I think Phil's point was that if you want to say that this quote portrays an inaccurrate picture of God's wishes then how can you have confidence that the New testament is accurate?
Old 05-07-2007, 10:12 PM

Oh, I missed this point (I skipped over your hate filled ramble from earlier):

[ QUOTE ]
So, morality is relative right?

[/ QUOTE ]
Not really. You can derive a hierarchy of ethics from secular principles. In fact, even theists need to do this. They were preaching far more advanced concepts of morality in China hundreds of years because Jesus turned up. Go read some Buddhist texts to understand the foundations of morality in a secular world. Or some of the great Roman/Greek philosophers. Or even use your own head. You'll be a better person for it.

Just because many use God to deal with their fear of life and themselves, doesn't mean that you need God to provide absolute morality.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:21 PM

"Not a single thing I read indicates that God directly mandates genocide."

He doesn't (just) mandate them, he commits them himself.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The society that produced Yahweh was one that lived in a tough, unforgiving environment, where nature was harsh, and life was difficult. It stands to reason that the god thereby created would be tough, unforgiving, harsh, difficult and not of the earth.

Contrast that with the gods that Native Americans created in their more beneficent environments.

[/ QUOTE ]

By all accounts, the Valley of Mexico was a beneficent environment, yet the Aztecs placated their gods by offering up the bloody hearts of their numerous (human) sacrificial victims.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Exodus 12:12
"On that same night I will pass through Egypt and strike down every firstborn—both men and animals—and I will bring judgment on all the gods of Egypt. I am the LORD."

[ QUOTE ]
The bible is a collection of stories written by a LOT of different people (inspired or not).

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks for clearing that up. Can you provide a list of which are inspired and which aren't? How about god committing genocide on thousands of children? Not inspired, I assume?
Old 05-08-2007, 01:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Exodus 12:12
"On that same night I will pass through Egypt and strike down every firstborn—both men and animals—and I will bring judgment on all the gods of Egypt. I am the LORD."

[ QUOTE ]
The bible is a collection of stories written by a LOT of different people (inspired or not).

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks for clearing that up. Can you provide a list of which are inspired and which aren't? How about god committing genocide on thousands of children? Not inspired, I assume?

[/ QUOTE ]

C'mon man...that's ridiculous. You took that out of context, mistranslated it, failed to account for cultural differences, don't understand the righteousness of the lord, and can't understand theology. Plus, that's not even IN the bible...source?