Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > BBV4Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2007, 03:37 PM

Default Re: wow Ireland doesn\'t joke around when it comes to anti-speeding ads

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Speed doesn't kill - inappropriate use of speed does, however.

When someone is shot, they aren't killed "because the bullet was traveling so fast". They were killed because someone pointed a gun at them and pulled the trigger. There's no excuse for speeding in built up areas, but money spent on these kind of adverts would be better spent on campaigns to educate people on observation, anticipation and "smart" driving. Speed is the main contributing factor in a small percentage of accidents. Failure to read the situation correctly, failure to observe the situation properly, etc, account for a much larger percentage.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you really think that? Speed reduces the options for a driver once a danger arises. Thus, though it might not be the main contributing factor, lack of speeding can result in positive evasive action, whereas someone who is speeding is likely to lose control when that person attempts to swerve or brake to avoid a hazard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, speed is a major contributing factor in many accidents. Obviously we're not all going to drive at 10mph all the time though, so there comes a point where judgment comes into it - whether you're obeying the governments judgment of what's a safe speed for the road, or your own.

There's no excuse for speeding in suburban areas, and reckless speeding is just that - reckless. Here in the UK, the government collated the figures for accidents caused by speeding, and in every accident where the speed was over the limit, they recorded that accident as "caused" by speeding.

I'm not saying they weren't - many likely were, or at least aggravated by the speed. Someone pulling out of a junction too fast and without looking is more down to the fact that they didn't look. If they pulled out without looking at a slower speed, that wouldn't be recorded as a speed caused accident.

I'm in no way saying speeding is harmless. Anyone going more than 5mph over the limit in residential areas deserves a ticket. I think someone who has good road sense and is able to read and anticipate situations going at 20mph over the limit on a good road is less of an accident risk than an unobservant driver driving at the limit.
Old 05-11-2007, 02:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm in no way saying speeding is harmless. Anyone going more than 15mph over the limit in residential areas deserves a ticket. I think someone who has good road sense and is able to read and anticipate situations going at 20mph over the limit on a good road is less of an accident risk than an unobservant driver driving at the limit.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP. I mean do you really think that someone going 6 MPH over the speed limit should be pulled over? You'd have to pull over 90% of the drivers on the road. I got a ticket for going 35 in a 25 the other day, and I was pissed. There's enough dangerous people out there that they don't need to harass people who are just going about their business.

Oh, and I just watched that bikini bandits thing. Yeah, Im sure that having topless women waving their arms around on the side of the road is going to make people more attentive drivers. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Not that I'd complain if I saw them when I was driving down the road, but I guarantee that they cause more accidents than they prevent.
Old 05-11-2007, 04:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
FYP. I mean do you really think that someone going 6 MPH over the speed limit should be pulled over? You'd have to pull over 90% of the drivers on the road. I got a ticket for going 35 in a 25 the other day, and I was pissed. There's enough dangerous people out there that they don't need to harass people who are just going about their business.

[/ QUOTE ]

In Victoria, Australia, people get fined for doing 3kph over the speed limit - that's just under 2MPH over the speed limit.

The result is a massive reduction in speeding, and also a massive reduction in pedestrian deaths.

This is enforced using mobile unmarked speed cameras; fixed unmarked speed cameras; and marked mobile speed cameras.