Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2007, 01:53 AM

Default Re: Caucasian: the \'Other\' white meat

I recall having for some time either had white, black, hispanic, asian/pacific islander, native american, other as the choices or the more detailed white (non hispanic), hispanic, black, asian, native hawaiian, other pacific islander, native american, more than one race, other. Also, I think on some there are different classes for hispanics (black/white/other perhaps).

Either way I've definately seen White (non Hispanic) as a choice. Other White is a bit odd, but basically says the same thing.
Old 05-03-2007, 01:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The box should read "What color is your skin? White, Tan, Black, Pitch Black, or Yellow"

Maybe this would be more clear? We could just get rid of races all together and just classify people based on color alone. This would give some people the ability to switch teams.

[/ QUOTE ]

What color is your skin should be the question.

Hispanics that are black or white have already switched teams. In the beginning, hispanics did not come in assorted colors... apparently now they do.
Old 05-03-2007, 02:37 AM

All,

My points with the post, besides pure surprise at seeing plain ole 'white' has now become 'other' was <ul type="square"> What's wrong with 'Caucasian', is that a 'bad' term or is the product of California's school system too ignorant to understand what that means?

Methinks I detect some 'Latino good, white bad' culturalism at work here. It's not an uncommon attitude in California.[/list]
I don't care whether Latinos are considered white or not, I think of Americans with Spanish heritage as Latino. However, the list was pretty granular (wish I hadn't sent it in yet or kept a copy) with about ten choices. Whoever drew it up obviously considers Latinos white or they could have made a separate category.

If I had a personal problem with races besides my own I never would have migrated to California. I'd have frozen my ass off in the Midwest or just stayed in the north Atlanta hinterlands.

Edit: 'Aryan' is no good either, if you want to talk color. Iranians are aryan. Iran = Aryan. The Nazis got that term all mucked up. That's another thread though. Just put me down as 'Caucasian'.
Old 05-03-2007, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

2. What is the person's race?

* White
* Black or African American
* American Indian or Alaska Native (write in tribe)
* Asian Indian
* Chinese
* Filipino
* Japanese
* Korean
* Vietnamese
* Native Hawaiian
* Guamanian or Chamorro
* Samoan
* Other Pacific Islander (write in race)
* Other race (write in race)

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

-* White. "A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, the Middle East, orNorth Africa.

[/ QUOTE ]
WAIT, so you can be a white African American ?!? Or does that mean some American (originally) from Africa are not African American ?! which one is it? either way it doesn't make sense [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

your race thing is fun.
this thing has potential.

they should use hexadecimal color code to define race (seriously). [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 05-03-2007, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm your caucasian.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for this, this is the first thing I think of any time I hear the word caucasian now.

Also, I think the moral of the story here is that people who write these surveys are [censored] dumb. I was at dennys one time and looked at the customer survey. The question was:

Where were you before you came here?

I [censored] you not there were literally four options:

A.) Home
B.) Work
C.) Church
D.) The Zoo

The [censored] zoo? (No zoo in vicinity of this dennys btw, not that it really matters anyway)
Old 05-03-2007, 05:12 PM

A jamaican dude in america is not an african american.
Old 05-03-2007, 05:17 PM

i have seen the white (non hispanic), white (hispanic) and black (non hispanic) differentiation for a while now in filling out forms related to work, etc.
Old 05-03-2007, 05:53 PM

Latino = white? What's next, green = blue?
Old 05-03-2007, 06:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Latino = white? What's next, green = blue?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not hard, they're subsets. Latino is a subset of white, so latinos are white. Similarly all squares are rectangles.
Old 05-03-2007, 06:08 PM

"Or does that mean some American (originally) from Africa are not African American ?! which one is it? either way it doesn't make sense"

There are a lot of Arabs who are from Northern Africa(Egypt, for example). How does that not make sense?

Something amusing for the assorted subtle racists in this thread is that in 1910 Irish and Italian were considered seperate races from white. I forget where I saw it but there was an awesome chart where southern Italians were considered less desirable neighbors(by property value) than Hispanics.