Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2007, 07:35 PM

Default Re: Does the run count?

Why would the official-scorer have counted the run when it happened?
If the umpire signalled 'no run' then there is no run...just like when the umpire signals that a guy is safe, he actually is safe no matter how badly he might have missed the call.

Then, the official-scorer perhaps realizes a problem and notifies the umpiring crew that IF they determined the runner crossed the plate first that the run should count.

I had assumed that the umpires were conferencing about it and THEN notified the official-scorer of their decision.
This would make sense too. If they're goingto make a change like that then they have to tell the scorer.
Old 04-30-2007, 07:43 PM

I just checked an article on ESPN.com.

It appeared they did not put the run up because they talked with the official scorer.
One of the umpires looked into it, determined that indeed the run should have counted, and eventually they notified the official-scorer to put it up there.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=270428105
Old 04-30-2007, 08:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just checked an article on ESPN.com.

It appeared they did not put the run up because they talked with the official scorer.
One of the umpires looked into it, determined that indeed the run should have counted, and eventually they notified the official-scorer to put it up there.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=270428105

[/ QUOTE ]

This makes it seem to me that Wedge's protest has a lot of merit then, since a) the Indians had no option to appeal since they did not know they might need to appeal b) The O's did not lodge their dispute re: the run in time and c) Wedge was forced to manage the game under false pretenses for 3 innings.

Should be interesting to see what the league decides. Cleveland paper's online edition today said they expect to hear something within 5 days.

KJS
Old 05-01-2007, 06:22 PM

"I told Sammy it's never too late," Trebelhorn said. "That's our run. I've seen runs put on the board after the game."

When the [censored] has this happened?
This is beyond rediculous

Lets say this happened in the 8th inning with the Indians leading 3-1. They say Baltimores run does not count. So in the 9th Baltimore has a man on 3rd and 1 out. There is a routine ground ball hit to third base, but being up by 2 Cleveland takes the routine out at first,and Baltimore scores an otherwise meaningless run. Now all the sudden the umpire says the run from the 8th counts and the game is tied.There is no way this should be allowed.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:52 PM

The umpires should be reprimanded/fined/suspended/fired for allowing the game to continue while they looked into the rule situation.

Stop the damn game. Figure out if the run counts or not.
Continue on.

I'm not sure I've ever heard of a run being credited retroactively an inning or more later either.
Doesn't necessarily mean it has never happened. All of the different coaches and players have all been around A LOT and have seen a lot of weird rules and stuff. So I guess it wouldn't complete surprise me if someone had seen such a situation.

I've seen probably 1,500 or so baseball games live and god knows how many on television and I've never seen it happen.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:58 AM

It still amuses me when thinking about how this thread started.
Old 05-02-2007, 02:21 PM

MLB denied the protest. Story from the Cleveland PD here. Caution: Homer content.

KJS
Old 05-02-2007, 05:33 PM

Geez.

Story says they couldn't figure out how to get a hold of the scoreboard operator?
WTF? That maks no sense.

That implies that Wedge should have known all along they were going to count the run.

He only protested it after it was put on the board. Thus implying that he wasn't made aware that the run was really going to count until then.

Am I missing something here? This seems really fishy.
Old 05-04-2007, 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Geez.

Story says they couldn't figure out how to get a hold of the scoreboard operator?
WTF? That maks no sense.

That implies that Wedge should have known all along they were going to count the run.

He only protested it after it was put on the board. Thus implying that he wasn't made aware that the run was really going to count until then.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT. At the very least, if the scoreboard operator wasn't going to put the run on the board, the umps should have gone to both managers and said "the previous run counts. We're having trouble with the scoreboard operator, but the run does in fact count." From all other accounts of the game, the umps didn't do anything about it until 2 innings later. Booo MLB.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:28 PM

I can't quote you the rule but I can tell you the run does not count.