Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2007, 02:21 AM

Default Re: Lamentations from a life long Cleveland fan

One of my favorites:

Old 04-27-2007, 04:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The Browns have a solid shot at picking up Adrian Peterson, a player who could significantly change the landscape of the new worst franchise in sports

[/ QUOTE ]

If we take Peterson, or Quinn for that matter I will puke.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:18 PM

huh? following the late 80s Indians is easy - don't show up, and don't watch - why bother? I mean, honestly - Major League sums up this spirit perfectly.

The slow, long, dull heartache of a terribly run, hopeless team seems far better than the constant failure that Philadelphia has experienced - and ALL their teams have been good in the last 20 years. They've lost championships in 85, 87, 93, 97, 98 (?), 04 - had Eagles and Flyers that rank among the most successful in their league over the last 20 years but have constantly failed in a big spot.

I feel like Buffalo > Cleveland as well in terms of just unreal disappointment. Rooting for a team that's out of it by May is one thing - rooting for a city that seems to jinxed is quite another.

anyway i'm not from any of these cities - and i hate philadelphia teams. my family is from philadelphia and hearing their hopes be dashed once again isn't funny anymore.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:36 PM

Thanks Triumph, well put. The Phillies and Eagles have both been good and terrible over the last 10 years, and while it sucks when they're terrible, it's FAR more painful when they're good but come up just short.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:46 PM

"following the late 80s Indians is easy - don't show up, and don't watch - why bother? "

But what if you do show up, and you do watch?

" it's FAR more painful when they're good but come up just short. "

Not even close. A season full of consistent victory, getting to care about the playoffs, getting to be in a championship game... That [censored] is AWESOME. Your players get mentioned as MVP candidates, your games lead Sportscenter, you're on national televison, etc. etc.

There is no way, logically, that a season could've been more enjoyable had it contained fewer victories. The only reason that's true is if you simply stop caring about the team when it's bad. But that doesn't mean it's worse to come close and lose, it just means you have no experience with truly dreadful teams.

Your answer to the question "Which is worse as a fan, the 1997 Cleveland Indians or the 1987 Cleveland Indians?" determines if you are quote-unquote a real fan.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:58 PM

Fly,

You're not seperating "enjoyment" from "pain." Having winning teams is FAR more enjoyable than having bad teams. No argument. But having very good teams that come up just a little short is also FAR more painful.

A bad season is like having a bad back that aches a little every day. Losing the Super Bowl is like having your back broken with a sledgehammer.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:28 PM

The analogy is more like getting hit in the hand with a hammer vs. having your hand surgically amputated. One hurts a lot, but only a goddamn moron would pick the one that hurts less.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The slow, long, dull heartache of a terribly run, hopeless team seems far better than the constant failure that Philadelphia has experienced - and ALL their teams have been good in the last 20 years. They've lost championships in 85, 87, 93, 97, 98 (?), 04 - had Eagles and Flyers that rank among the most successful in their league over the last 20 years but have constantly failed in a big spot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well its certainly got to be easier to ignore the bad years when there is a good one either the year before or the year coming, but from 1965-1994 no Cleveland team made it to a championship game. The few times they even came close they lost on heartbreakers.
The drive, the fumble, the shot.
Of course if you keep pressing the issue we will have to pull the trump card. At the same time as the Indians were crushing our spirits in the world series the Browns moved to Baltimore (despite having the second highest attendance in the league over the previous three years).
Old 04-27-2007, 08:56 PM

And then the goddamn Ravens won the [censored] Super Bowl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-27-2007, 09:04 PM

Fly -

honestly if you're older than 16 and still getting interested in totally hopeless teams, you're either a glutton for punishment or simply have nothing better to do. granted, it's been a while since I've had a hopeless team to cheer for, and the last time I did, I was about 12 - but if you showed up and watched those Cleveland teams, you are asking for pain.

which is worse, the 97 or 87 Indians? Not close - 97. In 87 I would've stopped watching by June. Call me 'fair weather' - I don't think so. I'd still read the box scores and check in on games occasionally - keep up with what was going on. But to watch the majority of games? I don't know, I can't justify that.