Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2007, 01:51 AM

Default Re: WPT Festa al Lago thread

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

His opponent never has a missed draw on that board? Maybe something involving the J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]?

[/ QUOTE ]

So push the turn if you think he's on a draw and charge him to suck out. Why call the turn checkraise and then call the river push?

[/ QUOTE ]

You want him to miss his draw and bluff the river. He also could be paying off a river bet with a pair of jacks and a missed draw. I do think pushing the turn is better if you think you're ahead though. My point is the last hand isn't as laughably bad as some people seem to be making it out to be. You can do way worse HU with high blinds than to stack off with TPnK on a missed-draw-heavy board.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:44 PM

The blinds weren't that high, though, especially by WPT standards. If I remember correctly, there was at least 100 big blinds between the two players.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You want him to miss his draw and bluff the river. He also could be paying off a river bet with a pair of jacks and a missed draw. I do think pushing the turn is better if you think you're ahead though. My point is the last hand isn't as laughably bad as some people seem to be making it out to be. You can do way worse HU with high blinds than to stack off with TPnK on a missed-draw-heavy board.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK. Good post, and let it be known I suck at NL anyway. I don't even know why I make strategy remarks in these threads!
Old 05-03-2007, 05:16 PM

Here's the hand from Pokerwire. The stacks are from the start of HU play.

blinds 25,000/50,000
5000 ante

Andreas Walnum 6,200,000 (BB)
Steve Wong 2,600,000 (SB/button)

Preflop: Wong completes, <font color="red">Walnum raises to 175,000</font>, Wong calls 125,000.

Flop: <font color="blue">(t360,000)</font> K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
<font color="red">Walnum bets 200,000</font>, Wong calls.

Turn: <font color="blue">(t760,000)</font> 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Walnum checks, <font color="red">Wong bets 400,000</font>, <font color="red">Walnum raises to 800,000</font>, Wong calls.

River: <font color="blue">(t2,360,000)</font> 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
<font color="red">Walnum bets 1,420,000</font>, Wong calls all-in.

Andreas Walnum 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Steve Wong K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Walnum took the pot with a set of 2's to win the 2006 WPT Festa al Lago.

The limiting stack is about 50 BB, which is fairly deep to stack off with TPnK, but the way the hand played out I don't see much choice. He has about 2.2M behind in a pot of 0.75M. Once he calls the turn check-minraise, I think he's stuck calling the river shove when the river bricks like that. Heads-up, I think it's much less dangerous than normal to check behind on the turn in position, essentially for pot control. It would induce a lot of river bluffs if Walnum is drawing. I think this is a tough hand to play. If Wong checks behind the turn, Walnum probably makes a fairly large bet on the river and Wong calls. Wong wouldn't be busto, but it would be a big hit no matter how it was done.

Shoving over the turn check-raise makes no sense, so I really don't mind Wong's play. It looks brilliant if Walnum has a whiffed draw there.
Old 05-06-2007, 08:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks Joe and hamburglar obviously you must not be much of a player if you think limping with pocket prs is horrible and I loved my K high call. That was one of my favorite hands I played and was so glad it made it tv....If you cant understand that call then you must not be much of a player....

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, stop limp/call/folding pp preflop SUPERSTAR! and the k-high hand, learn to bet. congrats on your marvelous tv appearance, next time bring a hat ok SUPERSTAR!
Old 05-06-2007, 08:08 AM

Shoving over the turn check-raise makes no sense, so I really don't mind Wong's play.

if you've decided to play for stack, then shoving turn is a must or you'll be giving opponent infinite odds to draw on you (considering you think ur pr is good).
Old 05-06-2007, 09:44 AM

You and many like you are the reason that so many good players stopped discussing strategy or their play on this forum and others like it....enjoy your one liners and pages of useless threads while the good players slowly get turned off and decide just to keep their useful comments to themselves and the learning public gets deprived a chance to better themselves and their game....but of coarse you dont care, you know it all....keep shoving deep stacks with small pairs it works well in those $10 multis on stars, but in the deep stacks Ill play the way I have that has led me deep into many tournies and hopefully pick out a few nuggets of good information scattered amongst the junk that idiots like you spread.
Old 05-06-2007, 01:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Shoving over the turn check-raise makes no sense, so I really don't mind Wong's play.

if you've decided to play for stack, then shoving turn is a must or you'll be giving opponent infinite odds to draw on you (considering you think ur pr is good).

[/ QUOTE ]

Wong shoving the turn over the check-raise doesn't give Walnum a chance to bluff the river those times he has air. A player in Wong's spot has already decided to play for stacks once he's not folded to the check-raise. The only way Wong gets out without having to get all-in to find out if his hand is good is if Walnum somehow disconnects and auto-checks the river, which is almost unheard-of in a live event.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:09 AM

"He folded at the 'Wong' time" - Mike Sexton

bwahahaha I love it
Old 05-07-2007, 05:51 AM

David, why are you conversing with these idiots? Just let them think and play whatever they want. I haven't seen you in a while. Congrats on all your recent success. See you around. -James