Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Entertainment Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who will win the NFC West?
Seattle Seahawks 68 83.95%
Arizona Cardinals 11 13.58%
St. Louis Rams 1 1.23%
San Francisco 49ers 1 1.23%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-23-2007, 01:06 PM

Default Re: Phil Stacey and Vote For the Worst

My problem with Jordin is her personality. I realize she's young, but she acts even younger. The non-stop perkiness and giggliness is really annoying in a 17-year old IMO. I don't think that's how your typical 17yo acts. Maybe a 10-12 year old.

She seems more like she'd be suited for a Disney channel show than a career selling out arenas and selling millions of CDs. I can't imagine her market being anything other than pre-teen girls. She's just too pageanty and annoying. I can't see an adult ever buying her CDs, and I'd think a teenager with even the slightest amount of coolness wouldn't like her either.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Good post Stellar

[/ QUOTE ]

Very nice roundup. I think Melinda may not be the front-runner (vote wise) we assume she is, and it's possible with a Lakisha blowout performance... Lakisha erodes Melinda's base! That's wishful thinking for a man who has some Lakisha exposure... but not entirely impossible imo.

I rate Jordin slightly higher than Melinda to win this thing right now.

[ QUOTE ]
I think you have Melinda and Jordin's future prospects backwards. Melinda has the ability to become one of this generation's finest vocalists - actually, I think she has the potential to become one of the all-time greats. While she will probably never be at the very top of the charts simply due to her genre, she should sell consistently well for a long, long time to come and quite possibly win a closet-full of Grammys along the way.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are overrating Melinda as a vocalist wrt going-forward popularity. Obviously she's extremely competent... but she is not flawless when it comes to technical execution. Also, and most importantly, myself and others simply do not enjoy her performances.

I've mentioned before that I don't like the sound and tone of her voice as much as say Jordin's (or countless other accomplished singers across the pop world, jazz, Broadway etc.) and see very limited upside for her going-forward career post-Idol. There's a reason she's a 30 year old back-up singer and we are only talking about her due to her having extremely weak competition this season.

-Al
Old 04-23-2007, 01:42 PM

I don't think Analyst is really overrating Melinda as a vocalist - she is damn near flawless and better than some current "famous" singers. As for her being a pop star, I don't see her fitting in. With some good song writing and production however, she stands to be the next female diva in today's music world, popular with an older crowd. It does not surprise me that people here don't care for Melinda (I don't either) - we're simply not the target demographic of her style of music, plain and simple. And I would say that 20-30 something males sums us up pretty well. It's not to say no one here likes it, but I'd bet most of us don't.

I like Jordin more than Melinda, but we have yet to see how the voting pans out (all we know for sure is that neither has been B3 before). IMO, Jordin figures to both have the most room for improvement but also the greatest chance of screwing up. We know what to expect from Melinda as she has easily been the most consistent performer. It's a shame that consistency could actually keep her from winning this thing, but again, I wouldn't mind seeing Jordin win.

As for Lakisha, that ship has sailed. Even if she knocks one out of the park this week, it'll probably only be slightly better than Melinda (at best) and Melinda is the one with the well-established fan base at this point. In terms of personality, they both suck. I'm tired of Melinda's (fake?) modesty, and hearing Lakisha say "I need to win this for my daughter so we can have a better life." Does she honestly think that becoming a "pop star" will HELP her daughter? Please...a singing career will cause her to spend even less time with her daughter raising all kind of implications with respect to how the daughter will be raised.

Okay, mini-rant over.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And I would say that 20-30 something males sums us up pretty well. It's not to say no one here likes it, but I'd bet most of us don't.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am in that male demo, but I actually really like the genres of music Melinda excels in (jazz standards, musicals, Motown) and know alot about them. Don't want to belabor this point - of course this is all entirely subjective - but for me, she uses way too much vibrato, and her voice has a reedy quality I find unappealing. Both Lakisha (when she is not screaming) and Jordin have a much rounder, more pleasant tone imo.

Either way, it does seem we are all in agreement for the most part, to quote Stellar, that Idol will likely be her career peak.

-Al
Old 04-23-2007, 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I think you are overrating Melinda as a vocalist wrt going-forward popularity. Obviously she's extremely competent... but she is not flawless when it comes to technical execution.

[/ QUOTE ]

As a musician, I've heard damn few technical "flaws" in Melinda's performance, and those have been extremely minor (you have to be listening for flaws to hear them) and inconsequential. Can you please name me anyone this season who is technically better than Melinda? I'm really quite eager to hear your answer to this. Jordin? Please. Any of the men? Not within a light-year. The only one within even remotely close is LaKisha.

[ QUOTE ]

Also, and most importantly, myself and others simply do not enjoy her performances.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, well then, I guess that seals it as far as her future, doesn't it. Sorry, Melinda - "others" have apparently spoken. Seriously, everyone has their own taste but it looks like you and your others are far, far from the majority here.

[ QUOTE ]

I've mentioned before that I don't like the sound and tone of her voice as much as say Jordin's (or countless other accomplished singers across the pop world, jazz, Broadway etc.) and see very limited upside for her going-forward career post-Idol. There's a reason she's a 30 year old back-up singer and we are only talking about her due to her having extremely weak competition this season.

[/ QUOTE ]

I respectfully disagree - in the opinion of myself and others (gee, that "and others" sure does makes it authoritative, doesn't it?) she's simply the best vocalist that they have ever had on AI, much less blowing the doors off of this year's field.

Did you ever stop to think that the reason Melinda is a background vocalist is because of her lack of self-confidence?
Old 04-23-2007, 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Either way, it does seem we are all in agreement for the most part, to quote Stellar, that Idol will likely be her career peak.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not even remotely close to accurate.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:34 PM

AI could only be the peak of Melinda's career if she wins...without knowing that, I don't see how anyone could say whether or not AI will be the peak of her career.

In other words, if she were eliminated this week and then signed a record deal - even if it's only somewhat successful, it's still more significant than being a runner up on a TV show.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:37 PM

$#@$@$ voted wrong in my own $#@$# poll! Shift one from "yes" to "no" if you want the real results (for all that it matters).
Old 04-23-2007, 04:37 PM

Analyst - that is cool you're a musician. Are you a vocalist? Not trying to be a nit but making the point that if you haven't had vocal training (I've had some) your opinion on her technical execution is not really that meaningful.

Either way, I never claimed Melinda wasn't the most competent singer in the group. And by mentioning "others" - I was not trying to establish some authoritative viewpoint, merely to advance my own: I just don't really like Melinda's voice that much for reasons noted above, and I am the kind of person that would care (meaning I don't really care what her personality is about, and really pay attention to vocals). While I admire her execution (and do believe that My Funny Valentine was the best peformance on Idol) nothing else she's done has remotely interested me or caused me to think she has a beautiful voice.

Not sure what to say - sorry? I mean, again, this is very subjective, and you seem to be stating things about Melinda's voice as an objective truth.

To me she has a dime-a-dozen voice (when you compare her to professional singers).

-Al
Old 04-23-2007, 04:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
$#@$@$ voted wrong in my own $#@$# poll! Shift one from "yes" to "no" if you want the real results (for all that it matters).

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha dude, look, I'm not sure what you are so worked up about I mean... if Melinda has an awesome career she seems like a nice woman, so sweet and good for her.

I just happen to disagree that she's some "once-in-a-generation" or something like that type voice. I do believe an amazing voice (wrt popularity) would transcend any personality issues, but Melinda in my opinion just doesn't have it.

Also I'm prejudiced against people with no neck, so take my comments with a grain of salt...

-Al