Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2007, 12:03 AM

Default Re: Personalities - Introvert or Extrovert?

Hmm, could be a sign of a good relationship.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:26 AM

I'm going to look up some of these personality types right now.

ISTP (d10)
ENTP (Utah)
and INTJ (Carter)

Anyone else want to share their Myers-Briggs type with me? Blarg?

I'm an INFP, btw

INFP
Old 04-20-2007, 12:38 AM

got ENTJ from the test at http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes3.asp

dont know how accurate the description of me is, could just be a self-fuflling prophecy
Old 04-20-2007, 12:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm going to look up some of these personality types right now.

ISTP (d10)
ENTP (Utah)
and INTJ (Carter)

Anyone else want to share their Myers-Briggs type with me? Blarg?

I'm an INFP, btw

INFP

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a big believer in such things. I'd be an incorrigible patient.
Old 04-20-2007, 08:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Not a big believer in such things. I'd be an incorrigible patient.

[/ QUOTE ]

The test only takes like 5 minutes! And I sense that you could be an incorrigible patient, Blarg [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I am kind of on the fence about these personality tests. I think to some degree they pigeonhole us, and they are used to excuse bad or lazy behavior. (lol, I'd be curious to see Alec Baldwin's personality type after hearing that awful tape recording of his!)
However, I do have to say I agree with Utah's take on the Myers-Briggs test. The accuracy is uncanny.

A description of the INFP (my type) which I found interesting.

[ QUOTE ]
INFPs are usually talented writers. They may be awkard and uncomfortable with expressing themselves verbally, but have a wonderful ability to define and express what they're feeling on paper.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is an accurate description of me in that I find it difficult and stressful to express myself verbally to my friends and bosses. Takes too much effort. Probably explains why I spend so much time on forums and why I prefer this way of communicating to other ways.

[ QUOTE ]
With few exceptions, it is the NF child who readily develops imaginary playmates (as with Anne of Green Gables's "bookcase girlfriend"--her own reflection) and whose stuffed animals come to life like the Velveteen Rabbit and the Skin Horse:

[/ QUOTE ]

this characteristic is 100% true for me. I've had many a conversation with my stuffed animals [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-20-2007, 09:07 AM

ISFP
Quiet, friendly, sensitive, and kind. Enjoy the present moment, what’s going on around them. Like to have their own space and to work within their own time frame. Loyal and committed to their values and to people who are important to them. Dislike disagreements and conflicts, do not force their opinions or values on others.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:24 AM

Katy,

INTP
Old 04-20-2007, 10:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It looks like not many of us are using the same definition for what makes an introvert or an extrovert. I have always thought of it as what someone's natural state is, where someone can "recharge one's batteries" as Blarg put it. I think everyone needs a balance of alone time and contact with others.

[/ QUOTE ]
You are correct. There is a BIG difference between how the general public defines introversion/extraversion and how mental health professionals define it.

For instance, the general public might go along with this: "The trait of Extraversion-Introversion is a central dimension of human personality. Extraverts (sometimes called "extroverts") are gregarious, assertive, and generally seek out excitement. Introverts, in contrast, are more reserved, less outgoing, and less sociable. They are not necessarily asocial, but they tend to have smaller circles of friends, and are less likely to thrive on making new social contacts."

Whereas the professional field is going to be a lot more concerned about what is going on inside: "The terms Introvert and Extravert (sometimes spelled 'extrovert') are referred to as attitudes and show how a person orients and receives their energy. In the extraverted attitude the energy flow is outward, and the preferred focus is on other people and things, whereas in the introverted attitude the energy flow is inward, and the preferred focus is on one's own thoughts, ideas and impressions."

When I was in my 20's, and believed the public's definition, I saw myself as very extraverted. I talk a lot, I am not shy, I have a big mouth, I am very aggressive, I do not feel uncomfortable at parties, etc.

So imagine my shock at finding out I'm an introvert! Once I took the MB test (the long one), I understood myself a lot better. I am an INTJ, and my husband, whom I saw as a massive introvert, is an INTP. I understand things so much differently now. The reason we are compatible even though it seems on the surface that we aren't. Why he has a much stronger personality than so many perceive, etc.

I was shocked in the OOT thread that so many serious poker players are INTx personalities. I guess that makes a whole lot of sense, too.

Felicia [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-20-2007, 11:12 AM

I'm listed as ENTP, I've come out as ENFP at times also.

What Blarg said...

I can be a 'life of the party' type but I never was a 'go out' type. I have gone three-day stretches where I didn't hear a human voice with no problem.

Scorpio.

My wife is a Virgo. My mom is a Virgo. My sister is a Virgo. My daughter is a Virgo.

I'm pretty much surrounded by females who are my zodiacal polar opposites (from what I understand).
Old 04-20-2007, 01:53 PM

We love our Visionaries, Utah and Chipwrecked

Visionary

our Scientists, Carter and Felicia

Scientist

our Mechanic, d10

Mechanic

our Executive, Shadowrun
(I have a couple good friends who test out as this type; very confident people)

Executive

our Thinkers, John Cole and Felicia's husband

Thinker

did i miss anyone?

Felicia - nice post. Thanks for clarifying the introvert thing. (I would have put you as an extrovert!)

Also -

Entertainme,
I could not tell from your posts that you are an extrovert. You come across as intelligent and helpful but I really wasn't picking up the extrovert part. Additionally, I did not pick up on Fishwhenican being an introvert [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]