Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What is your worst bad loan (in $)? Choose the closest amount.
NA, I never have been burned. 55 41.98%
$100 44 33.59%
$500 15 11.45%
$1000 12 9.16%
$10,000 or more 5 3.82%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-19-2007, 12:03 PM

Default Re: $25NL suited connector: play along

[ QUOTE ]
I'm minraising here. Our goal at this point is to get his whole stack in the middle by the river. If he's got a big overpair, flopped the low end of the straight, or caught a set, that's pretty easy - he'll push to our min raise and we get it all in right now.

If he's on overcards (more than likely) then we don't want to scare him away with a largish bet. Our goal in this case is to build the pot to a size that we can keep drawing him in on the turn without scaring him away. A minraise (assuming he just calls) will make the pot about $15 and leave our poor unsuspecting victim holding $18 in his stack.

Depending on the turn card, we will be left with the choice of a smaller, weak-looking bet like $5-$6; or a 3/4 pot bet for half his remaining stack.

I know the min-raise is generally frowned upon but in this case I believe it leaves us with the most flexibility in manipulating villains chips into the pot on later streets.

Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

We asume that these are standard 25nl players. I don't think a standard player would make a pot sized bet with two overcards.

It's much more likely he has an overpair or set, which means he's very likely to call larger raises.
Old 04-19-2007, 12:09 PM

Welcome back pokey, congrats.

I am making a largish bet on the flop, though I don't mind shoving. Considering he has just led full pot into you I don't really want to slowplay as scare cards can fall and he has shown quite a lot of strength.
Old 04-19-2007, 12:09 PM

I'm smallish raising here. If he really likes his hand he'll re raise, and then you can shove.
Old 04-19-2007, 12:20 PM

I can't stand the min raise here...even at the lower levels, the min raise sets of warning bells. I'd probably smooth call and try to get it in on the turn. If he comes out with a small donk bet, he probably didn't have anything anyway so no loss.
Old 04-19-2007, 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think a standard player would make a pot sized bet with two overcards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Reads are important here, but there are plenty of standard $25 players who will donk-bluff a low flop like this with ATC hoping to push the PFR off his (perceived) overcards.

My personal feeling is that putting villain squarely on a big hand just because he's donk-betting the pot is a mistake. We should also remember Pokey's comments about his possible table image. (Not that there's a huge chance anyone's paying attention, but still...)
Old 04-19-2007, 12:33 PM

I call hoping mp comes along too. I am looking to get it in on the turn.
Old 04-19-2007, 12:41 PM

Bah...I misread the hand and didn't even realize the flop was 3 handed. I would like to change my answer to smoothcalling with plans to get it in on the turn. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 04-19-2007, 12:42 PM

IMO the best way to build a pot here is to call. Don't put a marginal hand to the test yet, and don't take away MP's change to bluff or overvalue his position.

The worst typical outcome is when MP folds, the turn comes A or K, and the flop bettor checks. This isn't as bad as it may seem however, because he wants to think his TT is still good. If we check behind, he will often talk himself in to believing his TT is good. He'll either bet the river and we can put in a nice raise, or he will check the river but call a pretty large raise. So the worst typical outcome as at least as good as out EV when we raise the flop, but there are many times where we'll get much more on later streets by calling the flop than by raising, because not every outcome will be one of the worst-case scenarios.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:01 PM

I like a smooth-call because:

1) I want MP to come along
2) There are not too many cards that I'm afraid of, and, the corollary:
3) There are many ways I want villians to improve (a 2 would give any A a lower straight, broadway cards might improve either villian to TP or set)
4) If UTG was taking a stab he will fold to any raise. If he has a hand we can get his money on the turn and river.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
im shovin this bitch. 25nlers CAN NOT FOLD OVER PAIRS!!!!! i dont want to keep tha hand proceeding and let a scare card hit tha turn and kill all action. he could also call wit a combo draw and we r free rollin his ass super hard where as he could possibly get away from a missed combo on the turn where he loses a lot of EV

EDIT:
love ur thinkin on preflop. spot on as always and congrats on tha whole women thing. post some pics [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

WOW i didnt see we were 3 handed. that makes me want to call and get this 3 handed to the turn and then shove basically any turn