Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > BBV4Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2007, 12:32 PM

Default Re: Top 5 MCS of all time

[ QUOTE ]
Jay Z should be in top 3 of all lists of top 5 MC's and there is no way to legitimately argue against that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really?!? He started off with a bang with Reasonable Doubt then it was crap, crap, crap, The Blueprint, more crap...
Old 04-18-2007, 12:42 PM

Default Re: Top 1 MCS of all time

[ QUOTE ]
People listing Andre 3000 who do not even know who Big Boi is, haven't heard the track Player's Ball or of the album Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik should not be taken seriously.

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreed. I grew up listening to Outkast (from Atlanta ftw), but if you think their first single was Ms. Jackson, please gtfo.

Also, Slug and Aesop Rock lovers: I was once like you. I only listened to annoying nerd-rap and emo-rap. Then I found Illmatic (perhaps you've heard of this album? Unlikely, but possible) and never listened to another stupid lyric about laser beams or Minneapolis again. Don't get me wrong, there's still plenty of underground/indie/whatever you want to call it hip hop that I like (Sage francis, brother ali, mf doom, jedi mind tricks, oh no, etc.) but please take that weak Atmosphere/def jux sh** elsewhere.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:44 PM

Default Re: Top 1 MCS of all time

[ QUOTE ]

People listing Andre 3000 who do not even know who Big Boi is, haven't heard the track Player's Ball or of the album Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik should not be taken seriously.

[/ QUOTE ]

You do realize that Andre 3000 used to write all of Big Boi's rhymes don't you?

And I'd put "Del the Funkee homosapien" on the list before either 3000 or Kool Keith.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Jay Z should be in top 3 of all lists of top 5 MC's and there is no way to legitimately argue against that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really?!? He started off with a bang with Reasonable Doubt then it was crap, crap, crap, The Blueprint, more crap...

[/ QUOTE ]
QFMFT

Resonable Doubt is a VERY good album, though it's still no Ready to Die or Illmatic (iow, it's not a classic). Blueprint is aight, and everything else of his SUCKS. Still, Nas hasn't made a completely solid album since Illmatic (even though god's son and stillmatic are both great), but I'm sure no one would doubt his being in the top 5. I don't think it's necessary for someone to be 100% consistent. Wu-tang has put out quite a few sub-par albums, but they're still generally considered the best hip hop group ever (I'd probably argue outkast, but thats for another thread).
Old 04-18-2007, 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
QFMFT

Resonable Doubt is a VERY good album, though it's still no Ready to Die or Illmatic (iow, it's not a classic). Blueprint is aight, and everything else of his SUCKS. Still, Nas hasn't made a completely solid album since Illmatic (even though god's son and stillmatic are both great), but I'm sure no one would doubt his being in the top 5. I don't think it's necessary for someone to be 100% consistent. Wu-tang has put out quite a few sub-par albums, but they're still generally considered the best hip hop group ever (I'd probably argue outkast, but thats for another thread).

[/ QUOTE ]

It was Written was pretty good I thought.

As for best group, Wu-Tang is not really who I think of first. A Tribe Called Quest, EPMD, and Outkast also come to mind.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Still, Nas hasn't made a completely solid album since Illmatic

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL... It Was Written is a classic. By my count he has three other very good records (God's Son, Stillmatic, Hip Hop is Dead), and he's always out killing remixes / singles / mix tapes even when his albums fell off. Unfortunately nobody fell off harder than Nas when he did, but he seems to be back on track.

My list would be

Biggie
Nas
Big L
Andre
Kane

I've never been as big of a Pac fan, I don't want to fight about it though. Honorable mention would go to Jay, Pac, Black Thought, Ghostface, Rakim, KRS, maybe a few others.

Favorite groups would be Outkast, Tribe, Wu-Tang, Mobb Deep, Gang Starr, Organized Confuzion.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:25 PM

Tupac, Eminem, and Big L for sure, don't know about the other two, maybe Dre and Lil Wayne. I think Jay-Z is one of the most overrated rappers out there, I like very few of his songs.

As for groups, definitely Outkast and I can't believe no one has mentioned Bone Thugs n Harmony, no one else enjoy them?
Old 04-18-2007, 01:26 PM

5 - Rakim
4 - Nas
3 - Biggie
2 - Tupac
1 - Eminem

I put Em as #1 for the fact that his first album "Infinite" contains what i believe are some of the best rhymes i've heard from an Emcee. If i was going based solely off his mainstream success albums with Dr. Dre then he would probably be 3rd on my list.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:44 PM

Damn NT!, you know what's up, nice list(s). Unfortunately, It Was Written is the only Nas album I don't have, so I can't really comment on it. Sounds like I need to pick it up soon, though (or at least get it from OiNK).

Hip Hop is Dead is good (key tracks: Money over BS, title track, Black republicans ldo) but I need to stop waiting for nas to make another illmatic, and then i'll be more satisfied with what he does put out.
Old 04-18-2007, 02:02 PM

Big L is another who’s massively overrated. I think his death elevated him to a status that he doesn’t really deserve. The man could obviously rap, I don’t think you can find many who could match him when it comes to delivering punch lines. But could he keep it up for an entire record? IMO, NO! His so called classic, livestylez ov da poor and dangerous had way too much filler and ffwrdable crap in it. In a sense, he reminds me of Canibus.