Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2006, 10:37 PM

Default Re: Post your favorite live tells here

[ QUOTE ]
I can't believe no one has said this one yet. This is a monster tell.

A lot of times, when someone insta-checks, that means they just hit. Sure enough, everytime I see a insta-check, they check raise and they have it.

[/ QUOTE ]
I find a verbal "I check", rather than just a tap, is often followed by a checkraise.
Old 02-16-2006, 11:36 PM

One of mine is when the BB or SB stares at his hole cards for a while then places a chip on them = usually indicating weakness, and a possible 211 in progress to follow, if i am in position.
Old 02-17-2006, 12:28 AM

When the guy across the table from me looks at his hole cards and announces "I've been soooooooo lonely". Sound familiar?

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 02-17-2006, 12:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The only time I can feel my pulse elevate is when I've got a monster, not when I'm bluffing...but I'm sure this is an exception.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same goes for me so maybe it's not an exception.
Old 02-17-2006, 02:11 AM

My favorite tells are when someone pulls out more money. IE. If they are already all in - bluff at the dry side pot, because they are rebuying. If they aren't all in... that is a spot to be more careful of.

And if they don't want change for an oversized chip or bill on the river - folding is usually safe.
Old 02-17-2006, 02:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What's the bet speed one? Slow = showing weakness = strength so fast = bluff?

[/ QUOTE ]

Id like to know if this right too.....

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

I have found that the more inexperienced players who bet fast have a strong hand—they can not wait to get their money in the pot. As a player’s experience level go up, I find this a less reliable tell as a generality. The speed becomes player and situation specific.
Old 02-17-2006, 02:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is pretty much automatic:

Player shrugs his shoulders, exposes his palms, looking like he is mulling over the situation, and bets as if to say "might as well bet here since everyone checked to me". He has it. If the same player later loses this act, he is bluffing when he bets.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is one of my favorites. I usually see this from guys who think they are good but are actually terrible.

Unimaginative donk raises in MP. Flop comes A-x-x. EP player bets, he smooth calls. Turn is something. Checked to him. "Eh, why not? Tee hee!" and a bet. I immediately whisper to the guy next to me "Oh, I guess I'll bet my set of aces." Bunch of callers. River is something, he bets, shows AA.
Old 02-17-2006, 03:41 AM

The old "Heavy Hand" that is when a player slams down his chips when he goes for a bet, he's bluffing.

Also, the shaking thing works really well for me, because I have a disability which causes muscle tremors at random times, so when my hands are shaking when i bet it doesn't necessarily mean I have the nuts, but everyone thinks i do.
Old 02-17-2006, 03:42 AM

My favorite hands down is where the villain is looking when he bets the river. If he's staring at the board, he's bluffing. If he's looking away, he's got it. Combine this with his posture and whether or not he is sitting up in his chair, and its gold. This is probably the most valuable/applicable in NL where the river bet is usually big compared to the pot size.
Old 02-17-2006, 09:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The only time I can feel my pulse elevate is when I've got a monster, not when I'm bluffing...but I'm sure this is an exception.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same goes for me so maybe it's not an exception.

[/ QUOTE ]

I read of a study once that showed a abnormal rate of heart attacks for deer hunters(older guys) immeadiately after seeing deer. I briefly tried to google it, but im sure you can get the jest.

A deer hunter is on a mission: kill a deer. It can be several hours until he finds one. A poker player is on a mission: find money making oppourtunities. The wait can be long for a poker player too(especially at limit). A deer hunter finally sees a deer and his heart races. A poker player sees a great "showdown" hand and his heart races. A person has an involuntary physical reaction when he sees his "goal" or possibilty of acclompishing his goal. I believe this is reaction is increased when the outcome of events is undetermined.

This effect dies in poker players with seeing so many hands. Again I am going to bring up an article/study that I will not put too much effort into googling for. This article looked at the emotions of finacial risk takers ranging to fund managers and day traders. It concluded that these "risk takers" didn't feel much when putting millions into a postition. The only thing they cared about was it was a "good gamble" or essentially +ev. They had solace that their money was "in good."

A noobie at poker plays a little while, has a little understanding and his main(sometimes only) game is trying to make good hands. He looks and sees nuts or close and has "deer hunter effect." Heart races and addrenaline pumps. Hands uncontrollably shake. An expierienced player generally, almost always has much less of a involuntary physical reaction. In their head is "what is my best line here?" Still the heart pumps faster.

When an expierenced player and even less expierienced player bluffs, they do not have the amount of natural physical reaction to reality (as they see it). Hands dont usually shake when bluffing. Hearts surely dont beat near as fast when bluffing. Addrenaline level is simply lower when bluffing or holding marginal hand. It doesnt mean this person isnt nervous, just involantary physical reaction when bluffing is less than when holding hand. I consider outward apparence that involves thought voluntary. Not looking at board, sitting silent,etc... The amount of adrenaline and heart rate involuntary.

This being said, it does conlcude that hands shaking is general a nutish occurance. I, however, have seen some newer players shake throughout their first couple of hours at a table. First timers. Actually it is very few people I am thinking of. While posting blinds their hands shook. Talking to them would result in scattered voice coming back in response. Two of these people I still see. One is clearly very intelligent and can play reasonalby well. The other I dont see enough to really give an estimate on play but, he doesnt shake anymore.