Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2007, 03:54 PM

Default Re: ps3 appreciation

Some points I wanted to respond to:

[ QUOTE ]
I own a PS3 and resistance is a great game, especially w/ the HDMI output. I also just got Oblivion which is wasting my life away.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you think Resistance draws people towards buying a PS3? Respectfully, I don't think it hurts but it doesn't sell the console. Games like Zelda, Mario, Halo, GTA, Final Fantasy etc sell consoles. They're huge franchises and they're exclusives. Oblivion's been out for what, a year now? It's nice if you've already decided that you want a PS3 and you haven't played it yet but it's not a selling point for new buyers.

[ QUOTE ]
oming soon will be the new Final Fantasy, MGS4, and the new Resident Evil.

[/ QUOTE ]

Final Fantasy's huge, I have to give you that. A lot of people will buy the console just to play the new Final Fantasy. MGS4 and Resident Evil 5 are also big titles. Problems with all of these? They're both going to miss the 2007 Christmas season.

[ QUOTE ]
I mean the system's been out for so short a time compared to the 360, no wonder it has so few games comparitively.

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't what's wrong with it.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, does anyone remember the launch games for the PS2? I do because I got one and guess what, they weren't that good and barely showed off the processing power (most were still cd as opposed to DVD)

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you'll agree that the market conditions for the PS2 and PS3 launches differ quite dramatically.

[ QUOTE ]
Developers will love the added space of the blue ray disc

[/ QUOTE ]

This is good evidence that you've probably never developed anything. Developers don't care about stuff like this at all right now. Things like ease of development, product life-cycle/turnaround, market share etc are far more compelling and this is evidenced by developers hopping sides and bringing more exclusives to the Xbox.

Anyway I could go on and on about this but I think it's time we let this stupid thread die.
Old 04-16-2007, 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyway I could go on and on about this but I think it's time we let this stupid thread die.

[/ QUOTE ]

it looks like you have serial issues with thread captaining. people are having discussions, if you don't like it don't participate.
Old 04-16-2007, 05:11 PM

More like, this thread was filled with useless comments from the start. It's like making a Republican vs Democrat thread or an Atheism vs Christianity or whatever. No one wins. However, I have some sick compulsion for responding to, what are IMO, stupid comments. So I ask to let the thread die mostly for my own sanity.
Old 04-16-2007, 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Developers don't care about stuff like this at all right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is key, because eventually they will. I am a developer and while cool easy to use tools are nice there are plenty of programmers that still use plain ol C and love to optimize code down to the instruction. More space = more gameplay, more sound, more graphics, and although space is cheap, there is a finite amount of it and eventually programmers will run out for the ideas they have. Also, more space means more to get innovative with.

[ QUOTE ]
I think you'll agree that the market conditions for the PS2 and PS3 launches differ quite dramatically.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you figure? They were both hyped, both late, both promised more machines than they produced, both had excellent games promised for launch but missed by a few months to a year.

[ QUOTE ]
bringing more exclusives to the Xbox

[/ QUOTE ]
What exclusives has the xbox gained? I think more have gone the route of being on both systems and trying to make as much $$$ as possible as opposed to being only on one system. If I was a 3rd party game maker I would make one for all the systems.

[ QUOTE ]
They're both going to miss the 2007 Christmas season.

[/ QUOTE ]

So what, if they get them right. They are still going to be great and I'm glad I have the PS3 for these games alone.

Also, resistance is a fun game to play w/ great graphics, who cares if it isn't the 'halo' of PS3, it's still great and I'm happy w/ my purchase. Not to mention I use my machine as a Linux box, dvd player, blue ray player, mp3 player and cd player for a great multimedia system.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What exclusives has the xbox gained? I think more have gone the route of being on both systems and trying to make as much $$$ as possible as opposed to being only on one system. If I was a 3rd party game maker I would make one for all the systems.

[/ QUOTE ]

AL: I agree with your points on PS2's lineup sucking...generally most launch lineups do suck. However, XBox didn't exist back then, and Nintendo already seemed like it wasn't going to directly compete with Sony. It's not about the Xbox 360 gaining exclusives, it's about Sony LOSING them.

The PS2 was where you had to go for GTA, which is a monster franchise. It's where you had to go for Square/Enix (another monster). Capcom was giving them premo exclusives (looking like they will support XBox more now). It was the third party system of choice, and a lot of awesome games you couldn't get anywhere else.

If the Xbox 360 has all those killer franchises that they didn't last generation AND Halo, Gears of War, etc, I can only see bad things for Sony.

I'm rooting for Sony to do better, I really am, but strictly talking games don't you think the future is much bleaker than originally expected?

* Note: By where you had to go for GTA I mean getting it on day one, which is a pretty big deal.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

This is key, because eventually they will. I am a developer and while cool easy to use tools are nice there are plenty of programmers that still use plain ol C and love to optimize code down to the instruction. More RAM = more gameplay, more sound, more graphics [...]

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP. More storage is pretty much irrelevant when you consider how slow the read speed from a DVD is and the fact that most PS3 games will cache all currently-relevant content to the HD before trying to use it. Having blu-ray simply means that really epic games won't require the player to change DVDs occasionally.

I've never come across an engineering problem that would have been easier to solve if I had more disk space available.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
oming soon will be the new Final Fantasy, MGS4, and the new Resident Evil.

[/ QUOTE ]

Final Fantasy's huge, I have to give you that. A lot of people will buy the console just to play the new Final Fantasy. MGS4 and Resident Evil 5 are also big titles. Problems with all of these? They're both going to miss the 2007 Christmas season.

[/ QUOTE ]

Another problem with Final Fantasy (for the PS3) is that it looks like it's also probably going to the 360. Oh yeah, and not only is Resident Evil 5 definitely coming to the 360 - but there is now speculation that it may even end up as a 360 exclusive. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-16-2007, 09:06 PM

FFXIII is PS3 Exclusive and RE5 is a cross platform title.
Old 04-17-2007, 01:07 AM

"As far as Final Fantasy XIII goes, I can tell you that the exclusivity is in discussion."
http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/rpg/finalfan...mostpop;title;1

"Rumours from Japan that Resi 5 will be 360 exclusive have been shot down by Capcom"
http://www.computerandvideogames.com....php?id=146558
Old 04-17-2007, 01:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
FFXIII is PS3 Exclusive and RE5 is a cross platform title.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, and the PS3 version of GTA IV is gonna have exclusive content too, right? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Feel free to debate the points, but at least provide sources as I have done.

EDIT: Ahhh, the REV rumor has definitely been shot down. As far as the FFXIII, it now looks more likely than ever that it'll be headed to the 360.