Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2007, 06:18 PM

Default Re: Pope John Paul II Miracle

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

<font size=4>WHAT ABOUT ME???</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

If he gives up his stem cell crusade (destroying living human embryos is somewhat frowned upon by the Church) and prays with a sincere heart for a healing, hey, anything is possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

if he has an ounce of sense he'll stick with the stem cell crusade, since his chances are much better there
Old 04-13-2007, 01:36 AM

I believe that the subject matter of your original post opens up a can of worms that puts the Catholic religion in a particularly bad light. Logically speaking.
Old 04-13-2007, 03:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I believe that the subject matter of your original post opens up a can of worms that puts the Catholic religion in a particularly bad light. Logically speaking.

[/ QUOTE ]

David,

Last Sunday we Catholics celebrated the resurrection of Jesus Christ. From a clinically detached and logical perspective, I think the healing of a nun through the intersesion of a deceased pontiff significantly pales in comparison. From the perspective of Faith, however, the resurrection (and to a lesser extent the nun's healing) make perfect sense.
Old 04-13-2007, 03:07 AM

From the linked article:

[ QUOTE ]
The 46-year-old nun was holding her first news conference since the Vatican revealed that her testimony could provide evidence of a posthumous miracle performed by John Paul II after his death.

Convincing evidence of a miracle -- usually a medical cure with no scientific explanation -- is essential in the beatification process, the first step to sainthood in the Roman Catholic Church.

[/ QUOTE ]

The polythestic Romans were worthy people.

Catholics are a quasi-menace now that other idiocies have taken precedence.

Churches, organized or disorganized, are inimical to civilization.

And John Paul II was a quack, a charlatan, and a first-rate demagogue.

Le Misanthrope
Old 04-13-2007, 03:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

David,

Last Sunday we Catholics celebrated the resurrection of Jesus Christ. From a clinically detached and logical perspective, I think the healing of a nun through the intersesion of a deceased pontiff significantly pales in comparison. From the perspective of Faith, however, the resurrection (and to a lesser extent the nun's healing) make perfect sense.

[/ QUOTE ]
Forgetting the resurrection of christ for which there is no evidence, catholicism errs when it says, if science cannot explain it (now), then it must be a miracle.
Old 04-15-2007, 02:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"In the end, I believe that either possibility #1 or #4 will turn out to be the case."

They want to make the rock star a saint. They need a miracle to do so. They'll find one.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT.

FWIW I found this on a website about the possible sainthood of Mother Teresa:

"Since Mother Teresa's death in 1997, six people have come forward to say prayers to her have led to miraculous cures.

At least one miracle must be proved to a medical committee before she can be beatified. A second miracle must be proved before she can become a saint.

The miracle that will most likely be attempted to be proved involves a Bengali woman who says her life-threatening tumour disappeared within days of her prayers to Mother Teresa."

So I guess just like John Paul, now a person doesn't even have to be alive to perform miracles... as long as someone claims they prayed to them before they got better.

What was that the OP said about the "rigorous examination of miraculous claims", again?
Old 04-15-2007, 04:19 AM

lol at op "coldly analizing the facts" and coming to the conclusion that some dead guy coming back from the grave to psychicly expel a disease from her is the "most likely" explaination
Old 04-15-2007, 04:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Indeed, only 75% of clinical diagnoses of PD are confirmed at autopsy.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol. So a disease that gets misdiagnosed 75% of the time is diagnosed in a person, then later she is found to not have the disease. Miraculous.
Old 04-15-2007, 07:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
lol at op "coldly analizing the facts" and coming to the conclusion that some dead guy coming back from the grave to psychicly expel a disease from her is the "most likely" explaination

[/ QUOTE ]

Though I'm a believer, I maintain that I dispassionately outlined each possibility for what happened in this case. Which is more than can be said for those who, a priori, decide that miracles cannot happen regardless of evidence presented.
Old 04-15-2007, 07:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Which is more than can be said for those who, a priori, decide that miracles cannot happen regardless of evidence presented.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is no more than can be said of those that say if it cannot be explained it must be a miracle.