Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2007, 04:24 PM

Default Re: Money is so overrated.

[ QUOTE ]
Most studies show money can greatly increase happiness, but mainly only up to the point where necessities are met. Once all necessities are met, the happiness effect of additional money tapers off. So a person making $50,000 a year is much more happy than a person making $10,000. But a person making $10 million is not much more happy than a person making $1 million.

[/ QUOTE ]

Law of Marginal Utility ftw.
Old 07-17-2007, 05:05 PM

"They say money doesn't buy happiness."
"But money will buy a jet ski."
"You ever seen a person frowning while on a jet ski?"
Old 07-17-2007, 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here's my thinking:

I'm a 21 year old dude with lots more money than 98% of 21 year old dudes. To tell you the truth, I'm at the top of the proletariate. The 2% above me...well they're dudes like good2cu who are WAAAAAAAY above me.

But for basically the past two years, I've bought myself [censored] to make me feel good about myself. Just because I could. And somehow I convinced myself that that's what separated me from other people in general, and other people my age in particular.

Which is quite obviously stupid.

I think anyway.

This isn't a brag, this isn't a beat. I don't know what it is honestly. It's basically a "wah wah" I'm emo statement without actually saying I'm emo I guess. wtf.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you have your head fairly together, which is in contrast to a lot of people quite a bit older than you who should be vastly wiser but at least as often are not. So does captzeebo when he notes it's a completely different thing to value money than it is to be materialistic. Being materialistic is for idiots and egotistical ones at that, but valuing money makes sense, even valuing it quite a bit and making it a significant priority in numerous stages in your life, if that's what you're into.

What's interesting to see is how panicky and nasty people can get when it's suggested that taking money as if it were the only value or a moral virtue isn't a good idea. Then you'll see people positively roar with outrage. It's very telling of what a thin and fragile structure they've built their values and understanding around.
Old 07-17-2007, 05:16 PM

This sums up my thoughts on money:

"I remember there was this photograph of one of the groundskeepers next to his Ferrrari. Blew my mind. You see [censored] like that, and it just plants seeds, makes you think it's possible, even easy. And then you turn on the TV, and there's just more of it. The 87 million dollar lottery winner. That kid actor that just made $20 million on his last movie. That internet stock that shot through the roof. You could have made millions on it if you'd just got in early. And that's exactly what I wanted to do: get in. I didn't want to be an innovator. I just wanted to make the quick and easy buck. I just wanted in."

seth from boiler room
Old 07-17-2007, 05:29 PM

I've got to see that movie. Sort of a poor man's Glengarry Glenross, right?
Old 07-17-2007, 05:32 PM

THat whole intro monologue is pretty good.
Old 07-17-2007, 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've got to see that movie. Sort of a poor man's Glengarry Glenross, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

ya, its wall street and glengarry, for my age group. Honestly, I get a lot of BS on here about what I look/act like IRL, and i can honestly say, its pretty on par with most of the degenerate douche bags in that movie.
Old 07-17-2007, 05:49 PM

After the Million Dollar Man enters the ring...

Mean Gene Okerlund: Money can't buy you happiness!
Bobbie Heenan: Oh yeah? Give me fifty bucks and watch me smile.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:46 PM

I think that there are two schools of thought when it comes to money:

1) those who see money as strictly utilitarian, and
2) those who view money as having inherent value in itself (i.e. just having money for the sake of having money is an asset).

I feel like it's illogical to be in group number two, which is what a lot of people have in mind when they choose their professions. Which really makes no sense seeing as if you are educated and good at what you do, money will take care of itself.

Money's a great thing, but too many people let it rule them instead of vice versa.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We live in a consumer culture that uses the media to manufacture needs in people. If advertising didn't convince the public to buy so much, then there would be no outlet for the gigantic productive power of capitalism. Despite this trend, some people are still pleased by inexpensive activities like reading, watching movies, smoking weed, writing, going for walks, exercising, conversing with friends, etc.

The drawback to being satisfied with little means is that no matter how much you are happy, you won't have the means to make certain people happy. In fact, many people will outright disapprove of you. Money is power. Money is social acceptance. No amount of philosophy is going to pay your kid's tuition, or buy you a house in a decent neighborhood.

An individual of little means CAN be very satisfied in america, but there are less ways to do it than one might think. Find your path, and walk it.

Very few people can accomplish this without decent fellow travelers, and it's too hard to tell the difference between an enlightened ascetic and a filthy hippy IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is one of the best posts i've read in OOT in a long time.