Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2007, 01:43 PM

Default Re: speaking in tongues question for christians

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
We could argue about this all day. I have faith that the Bible is the word of God, (amd speaking in tongues is included in the scriptures)...I have spent much time seriously questioning the Bible and doubting it at times, as do many Christ followers. Just because you've questioned it and don't believe it doesn't mean Christ followers have never really honestly questioned it.

[/ QUOTE ]

So in honestly questioning the bible, your faith precludes you from coming to any other conclusion than that it is the word of God?

[/ QUOTE ]

No
Old 04-03-2007, 02:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
We could argue about this all day. I have faith that the Bible is the word of God, (amd speaking in tongues is included in the scriptures)...I have spent much time seriously questioning the Bible and doubting it at times, as do many Christ followers. Just because you've questioned it and don't believe it doesn't mean Christ followers have never really honestly questioned it.

[/ QUOTE ]

So in honestly questioning the bible, your faith precludes you from coming to any other conclusion than that it is the word of God?

[/ QUOTE ]

No

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure what you mean by "No". Do you disagree with my statement, or are you stating that there is no way that you could come to the conclusion that the bible is not the word of God?
Old 04-03-2007, 02:19 PM

Your "statement" ended with a question mark, and I guess I didn't fully understand it. I was saying I believe people can question their faith and truthfully consider other options...I know you disagree, so there's no point in discussing it any further.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your "statement" ended with a question mark, and I guess I didn't fully understand it. I was saying I believe people can question their faith and truthfully consider other options...I know you disagree, so there's no point in discussing it any further.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you could question it and theoretically come to the conclusion that God didn't exist, how can you call it faith?
Old 04-03-2007, 02:30 PM

I really don't see the point in talking about it anymore. Nothing I say is going to convince you of anything. We'd just argue til' the cows came home.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you could question it and theoretically come to the conclusion that God didn't exist, how can you call it faith?

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. To put it in the context of this thread: You cannot claim to honestly question the belief that God is responsible for the phenomena of "speaking in tongues" if the only conclusion that your "faith" permits you is that God is responsible for the phenomena of speaking in tongues.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I really don't see the point in talking about it anymore. Nothing I say is going to convince you of anything. We'd just argue til' the cows came home.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or you could answer the questions. But hey, no one is twisting your arm.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

We're not interested in being convinced that speaking in tongues is "real", we're more interested in the thought process involved in someone like yourself believing in it. The fact that you believe that you are capable of *honestly* questioning your faith is interesting to me because by definition, faith is belief that is not based on truth.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you at least answer my question earlier on in the thread about handling snakes and drinking poison? 'm curious as to how you justify ignoring this part of the scripture, since following scripture is obviously of paramount importance to you (as evidenced by your belief in speaking in tongues).
Old 04-03-2007, 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you at least answer my question earlier on in the thread about handling snakes and drinking poison? 'm curious as to how you justify ignoring this part of the scripture, since following scripture is obviously of paramount importance to you (as evidenced by your belief in speaking in tongues).

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll give you an answer. In my view this verse regarding the handling of serpents etc. speaks of God's protection over his believers. (Not to mention that serpents represent evil starting in Eden.) It's mentioned in this one verse. Never as any type of command...Go Ye Forth And Play With Reptiles!

On the flip side, there are many references throughout the epistles to gifts of the spirit; why one would seek them, their proper use, etc.

There's a huge difference in picking out one verse out of context in contrast to looking at spiritual gifts in all the context and depth that is in the bible.