Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Should the straight pill, in your opinion, be released?
Yes 44 59.46%
No 23 31.08%
No Answer 7 9.46%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-03-2007, 01:49 AM

Default Re: Bryant vs Jordan ... yes, again.

[ QUOTE ]
I love Jordan but Kobe took a lot more 3s. Atleast that's the argument your going to get.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kobe is a lousy 3 pt shooter, 33.9% for his career. Of course, Jordan was slightly worse 32.7%. Three point shooting is meaningless in comparing them.

And at least Micheal could hit clutch threes. Kobe only made 3 of his first 27 three pointers in the 4th quarter of NBA finals games.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In terms of physical tools, I think Kobe and Jordan are pretty close. Athleticism, shooting, finishing, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree they have similar physical tools, but the difference is Kobe can't make shots. He can shoot, a lot, but he just can't make a decent percentage.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:09 AM

Here's a recent take I heard on the subject. I tend to agree with it. By the way, I think Jordan is the greatest player in NBA history.

Anyway, the comment was something like this:
Kobe has more offensive skills. He can score in any way, shape or form. Jordan is a better defensive player. Kobe might even be more talented, however that is nullified by one very important point. And that point is what seperates them. Kobe Bryant modeled his entire basketball existence after one man. And that man is Michael Jordan. Thus, everything Kobe does on the court is because of Jordan's greatness.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:34 AM

Other than being a better 3 shooter, I don't think Kobe does anything offensively that Jordan didn't. Jordan actually used the post much more. According to that Tex Winter bit, Kobe could but he doesn't and he's not as good at getting position.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I love Jordan but Kobe took a lot more 3s. Atleast that's the argument your going to get.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kobe is a lousy 3 pt shooter, 33.9% for his career. Of course, Jordan was slightly worse 32.7%. Three point shooting is meaningless in comparing them.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is really disingenuous. For three years in the prime of Jordan's career, the NBA moved the 3 point line closer by almost two feet. Not coincidentally, Jordan hit a much higher 3 pt % in those three years. This boosts his career average generously.

If you look at all the years Jordan played with the normal 23'9" line, he only averaged 27.5%. And don't forget to factor in that Kobe takes way more threes, lowering his overall shooting %.

If you want to make a honest comparison, just use True Shooting %. Jordan still wins, but it's closer this time 56.9% to 55.2%.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:45 AM

I think they are close skill-wise, but as stats show Jordan is a better shooter. Defensively I think people tend to overrate Kobe's defense, but he's still not as good as Jordan.

At this point in their careers, Kobe has definitely had the better career. Let's not forget that Jordan was about Kobe's present age when he won ring #1. I'm not sold on the whole MVP comparison either, because there are so many other factors that have to be accounted for in an MVP race.

Whatever happens, I doubt there is any way Kobe will eclipse Jordan as the best player ever in most people's eyes.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:34 AM

You know that topic where they say Jordan is overrated? Well, here, he is insanely underrated. Comparing Jordan to Kobe at this point in Kobe's career is insane. Read pudge's arguments.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:55 PM

When Jordan was in his prime, would you take any other players in the league?

Kobe Bryant? I'd take Duncan or Shaq anyday. Hell, I might even take Kidd over Bryant. Leadership skills is underrated. Kobe is not going to drop 60 a game and you can't win playing one on five.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:13 PM

rakes,

Kobe is in his prime RIGHT NOW.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hell, I might even take Kidd over Bryant.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you taking your meds? Because you're clearly insane.