Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2007, 01:13 AM

Default Re: Great (and not-so great) finds at Whole Foods

Here's a Whole Foods good/bad food: Ed's Tantalizing Tofu (in the prepared food section).

Good in that it is super yummy. Bad in that it is a calorie and fat content nightmare.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:15 AM

Bolthouse Farms Prickly Pear Cactus Lemonade- haven't found it anywhere else.

Anytime I buy seafood--except crab- i get it from whole foods and it has always been excellent---clams, wild tuna, monkfish, salmon, etc.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:20 AM

The only sushi I've ever had is from whole foods. I typically get tuna avocado roll or spicy tuna avocado roll, and I love it. How does this compare to sushi at a real sushi place?
Old 04-03-2007, 12:24 PM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.

[ QUOTE ]
All,

Sesame Soba Noodle Bowl with Tofu and Vegetables. Whole Kitchens Frozen. Nothing super great or anything, but actually surprisingly good. Not a real meal (230 cals), but a nice small meal or side.

[/ QUOTE ]

have 3 of these in my freezer. they are quite good.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this is awesome. i LOVE lemonade. like i drink it all the time, and the addition of super sweet prickly pear has made me buy this a few times without regret.

[ QUOTE ]
The only sushi I've ever had is from whole foods. I typically get tuna avocado roll or spicy tuna avocado roll, and I love it. How does this compare to sushi at a real sushi place?

[/ QUOTE ]

a lot of times ill just get the like 3 dollar tuna roll and eat it for breakfast. A few times ive gotten the tuna and avocado roll i got it with brown rice and it was actually quite good. i would say better than a poor sushi bar, but not even in the same league as very good sushi bars.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Anytime I buy seafood--except crab- i get it from whole foods and it has always been excellent---clams, wild tuna, monkfish, salmon, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

This does not apply in Seattle. Their seafood counter vis a vis Uwijimaya, Wild Salmon, Central Market, Ballard Market and several places in Pike Place is a joke.

KJS
Old 04-05-2007, 12:26 AM

All,

Just returned from Whole Foods where I bought very little stuff (no alcohol or meat, a little seafood) and spent $100. Yeah, f their "we are not really that expensive" campaign.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All,

Just returned from Whole Foods where I bought very little stuff (no alcohol or meat, a little seafood) and spent $100. Yeah, f their "we are not really that expensive" campaign.

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't seen any evidence of lower prices either. However, I think their fresh organic produce and meat are worth the price. Around here, their produce is a lot cheaper than what is offered at the farmers market.

Some folks are giving the bakery high marks. It may be a local thing, but I can't agree. The in house bakery is average at best, and of course over priced. The bread is just plain weak. They also market products from local bakeries. But they charge twice as much as the bakery does. One of the bakeries is less than a mile away.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude how did you not notice that before? I went there once and all I bought was a 6 pack of creamy root beer, massage oil, some small candles, and a shaving cream to try and it was like $40!

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Down with whole foods!
Old 04-05-2007, 02:46 PM

Ja,

I've never really shopped much there except for some prepared foods now and then. I was getting sorta bored with my TJs + Safeway combo plus I had heard a lot about their new initiative to lower prices, so I have been giving them a try recently.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:49 PM

The only times I go to whole foods over TJs is for their bananas/apples (I think they are a lot fresther/tastier/longer shelf life) god knows why. And their cottage cheese is better. They carry Horizon which absolutely rapes TJs Cabot Cottage cheese (which is good). Oh yeah, and I buy their beef jerky. Otherwise most of my shopping is done at TJs.