Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2007, 04:47 PM

Default Re: Beat: Army in July -

Where are you going to? I have couple of friend in Santahamina, they get to play almost every day. Anyway army is -ev, you don't have to go if you don't want to(there are ways). Btw LrsLzk is also in Santahamina atm.
Old 03-28-2007, 04:52 PM

Brag: I'm working on getting a British citizenship so I don't have to go.
Beat(?): British citizen 4lyfe
Old 03-28-2007, 04:55 PM

Is your sole reason for that to avoid army time or is that just a side benefit?
Old 03-28-2007, 04:58 PM

This will probably do for my 1000'th post - I think it was around this point that [censored] tried to exile me for being a poor poster, so I said FK OOT and found BBV http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...age=0&vc=1
Old 03-28-2007, 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What is your main allegiance? If you get ordered to kill BBV'ers, do you do it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Gold.
Old 03-28-2007, 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The Finns are tough fighters.

[/ QUOTE ]

They certainly used to be. I lean to the view, however, that, in pretty much every western country, the relative prosperity and comfort which we enjoy means that we wouldn't measure up at all to the soldiers of WW II who grew up in the Great Depression with no air conditioning, modern medical care, etc. We're all a bunch of pansies compared to our anscestors who were storming Iwo Jima, fighting in Stalingrad or whatever.

Plus, nationality doesn't mean nearly as much to people now as it used to. 50 or 60 years ago, if you'd have told people that Europe would become united in some common union they'd have looked at you like you were crazy. As a result, people won't be as fired up to fight and die for whatever nation they inhabit.
Old 03-28-2007, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Finns are tough fighters.

[/ QUOTE ]

no doubt.

Simo Häyhä (December 17, 1905–April 1, 2002), nicknamed "Belaya Smert" (Russian Cyrillic Бела&# 1103; Смер&# 1090;ь; in English, White Death; Finnish Valkoinen kuolema) by the Soviet army, was a Finnish soldier, and is widely considered to be the most successful sniper in history.

During the Winter War (1939 – 1940) between Finland and the Soviet Union, he began his duty as a sniper against the Red Army. Working in temperatures between −20 to −40 degrees Celsius, and dressed completely in a white camouflage suit, Häyhä was credited with 505 confirmed kills against Soviet soldiers.

The unofficial Finnish frontline figure from the battle field of Kollaa places the number of Häyhä's sniper kills at 542. A daily account of the kills at Kollaa was conducted for the Finnish snipers. Häyhä used a Finnish variant, M28, of the Soviet Mosin-Nagant rifle (known as "Pystykorva" rifle), because it suited his small frame (5 ft/1.52 m). He preferred to use iron sights rather than telescopic sights to present a smaller target (the sniper must raise their head higher when using telescopic sights) and aid concealment (sun reflecting off telescopic sight lenses can reveal a sniper's position).

Besides his sniper kills, Simo Häyhä was also credited with as many as two hundred kills with a Suomi M-31 SMG submachine gun, thus bringing his credited kills to at least 705. However, the latter claim has never been substantiated. Many of Häyhä's kills were accomplished within 100 days prior to injuries caused by an enemy bullet. Häyhä's record of an average of 5 kills a day, almost one kill per daylight hour of the short winter day, is unique.
Old 03-28-2007, 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is your sole reason for that to avoid army time or is that just a side benefit?

[/ QUOTE ]

Side benefit.
Old 03-28-2007, 05:05 PM

the finnish army invented the molotov cocktail during the '39 winter war. empty booze bottle + flammable liquid = anti-tank weapon named after the russian foreign minister.

these are the fun things you learn in grad school
Old 03-28-2007, 05:08 PM

All,

Can anyone verify that if I cut off my pinky toe I don't have to go?