Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2007, 10:17 AM

Default Re: Jesus Myth - The Case Against Historical Christ

[ QUOTE ]
You started it. You insult my intelligence/objectivity, then have a problem when I do the same?

[/ QUOTE ]
I pointed out a potential logical error. You called me a name. So again I ask: In terms of your argument, what did it accomplish?

[ QUOTE ]
You're the one making the unreasonable claim that the existence of this passage in modern texts proves that it's real.

[/ QUOTE ]
I never said anything "proves that it's real". You just made that up. Read my posts.

[ QUOTE ]
You have not addressed the point that all of these sources, all of them, derive from Christian sources centuries after Antiquities was written.

[/ QUOTE ]
You haven't defined "Christian sources". If you are referring to copyists, then I would like to point out that Christian copyists also handled the works of Jewish historian Philo for hundreds of years. Nobody inserted a pro-Jesus quote into his works. Why not?

[ QUOTE ]
You have not addressed the point regarding the lack of mention of this quote, prior to 300AD.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, I have addressed this point. Accurately? Probably not. But to say I haven't addressed it is entirely false.

[ QUOTE ]
And you have not addressed the oddness of the language and the flow of the passage (as well as other criticisms), if it was indeed written by Flavius.

[/ QUOTE ]
Again, yes I have. Accurately? Probably not. But to say I haven't addressed it is, again, entirely false. What I said to this point was that most scholars believe that some of this quote has been interpolated, which explains the language differenct. To expand on that, in order to believe that Jesus didn't exist, one has to believe that this entire quote is a forgery. There is evidence to suggest this is not the case.

[ QUOTE ]
And you have not addressed the fact that some Christians themselves have called this a stupid forgery.

[/ QUOTE ]
You haven't provide the name of one Christian who has said this, nor have you provided a source for this comment. What you have said is that you remember having read this somewhere but you can't remember where not who said it. This hardly supports your argument.

[ QUOTE ]
Which means this is hardly an atheist vs theist debate. It's one of evidence, which don't seem interested in considering.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've considered your evidence. Some of it is good, but as I've pointed out in this post, some of it needs to be further defined before it even deserves a respose.