Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2007, 01:11 PM

Default Re: Tiger Woods, just as an amateur, Casey Martin

[ QUOTE ]
Do handicap parking spaces also bother you? Accomodations for people with physical handicaps are sometimes necessary so that those people can work and live somewhat like the rest of us.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Wow, talk about bad analogies.

[/ QUOTE ]
lol

Seriously, though, do you not see the difference between providing accomodations for handicapped people in the real world to make their lives easier and changing the rules for them in a competitive environment?
Old 03-27-2007, 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Do handicap parking spaces also bother you? Accomodations for people with physical handicaps are sometimes necessary so that those people can work and live somewhat like the rest of us.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
lol

Seriously, though, do you not see the difference between providing accomodations for handicapped people in the real world to make their lives easier and changing the rules for them in a competitive environment?

[/ QUOTE ]

i would guess that you are very anti-ADA then
Old 03-27-2007, 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
lol

[/ QUOTE ]

It's transportation between his golf shots. Golf is a series of shots. It's not like most sports.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
lol

[/ QUOTE ]

Certain drugs are banned in the Olympics.
Unless the athlete has a proven case of asthma.
I guess you would favor removing that exception and force those athletes to forgo their medication.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's transportation between his golf shots. Golf is a series of shots. It's not like most sports.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've golfed my whole life and I still don't know where I stand on this.

Well, probably with the PGA. Last December I played a new "walker friendly" course (it's not some putt-putt for old people, it's already rated the #1 public course in AZ but the layout is such that the walk from green to tee was short and always a grass transition). In lieu of carts we used motorized pull/push carts that were provided, so it was like having a caddy.

Well, I work out damn near every day but after this round my shins hurt for days. DAYS. The other guys, who I all know from my gym, reported other various maladies. We were a mess.

So to say there's no physical toll from walking isn't realistic. Granted, the pros are used to it so it's not a big deal, but I'm not sure it's negligible either...
Old 03-27-2007, 01:22 PM

You are overlooking the fact that this is the man's way of making a living and his handicap is preventing that. I don't think it's unreasonable to allow him this accomodation to allow him to earn a living.

What everyone is doing here is overrating the effort involved for conditioned athletes(okay not all golphers are well conditioned lol) to walk a golf course during the slow pace of a golf tourney.

I just can't see that the handicap man gets any advantage here by using the cart.

Edit: It could even be argued that using the cart was a disadvantage. While walking from the tee to the fairway for the second shot for example, the player has the opportunity to unwind, collect his thoughts and converse with his caddy in a leisurely manner before approaching his next shot.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You are overlooking the fact that this is the man's way of making a living and his handicap is preventing that. I don't think it's unreasonable to allow him this accomodation to allow him to earn a living.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really poor argument. No one is entitled to their "way of making a living." I can think of a million poor analogies to throw your way.. I'm sure you can too. If your handicap is preventing you from your "way of making a living" (i.e. job), you find a new way (job).

I don't know where I stand on this issue (haven't studied it much), but I have no problem seeing the PGA's side. Not only is it blatantly against the rules, but it also sets a precedent that leads down a slippery slope. i.e., let Casey play, then every other person looking to bend the rules are going to site Casey's case as support.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:41 PM

It's a poor arguement? It is the arguement!
Old 03-27-2007, 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Really poor argument. No one is entitled to their "way of making a living." I can think of a million poor analogies to throw your way.. I'm sure you can too. If your handicap is preventing you from your "way of making a living" (i.e. job), you find a new way (job).

I don't know where I stand on this issue (haven't studied it much), but I have no problem seeing the PGA's side. Not only is it blatantly against the rules, but it also sets a precedent that leads down a slippery slope. i.e., let Casey play, then every other person looking to bend the rules are going to site Casey's case as support.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually that's not entirely true. Employers make accommodations all the time for employees when their disability prevents them from doing their job. So in some respect you do have a right to your "way of making a living."
Old 03-27-2007, 01:48 PM

Interesting discussion on the Casey Martin, situation.

Kind of interested in where you think tiger would be ranked in golfs greats soley based on his amateur career.

Where does 6 consec. USGA's put someone? Near someone like Ernie Els? Top ten all time just on his amateur career?