Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2007, 01:41 PM

Default Re: I\'m sooooooooo [censored] sick of country music

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
For everyone else, I post a gratuitous picture of my favorite country singer.

[/ QUOTE ]

You lose.

[/ QUOTE ]

ORLY?

Old 03-24-2007, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you know, i grew up in the south, and i [censored] cant [censored] stand [censored] country music!!!!!!!!! there were no good radio stations either, all country or oldies. i had a gf that tried to get me to like country, didnt work, i hated it even more. just because carrie underwood is hot does not make here music any [censored] good, ever. i love hard rock and heavy [censored] metal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anybody can learn 3 guitar chords, crank them up to 25, distort the hell out of them, and scream into a microphone. And I LIKE rock music.

"Heavy [censored] metal", for the most part, is not music. Which is sad because once in a while there are some great musical talents out there.
Old 03-24-2007, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
TSC,

Country music is definitely not the genre I listen the most but I have to say that when the topic of country music comes up it never fails that most are just led in the wrong direction. Nashville country is pop garbage, it sucks and has ruined everything that Willie, Waylan, Johnny etc. built. I haven't listened to a country radio station in probably a decade.

I am not saying this just b/c I am from Texas but Texas country is the best country you can listen to and/or even its sub-genres like red dirt (Oklahoma). The music is much more singer/songwriter, better lyrics, better musicians and some of it basically just alt-country.

Robert Earl Keen was really the first to create this sound and then Pat Green kind of put it into the forefront but he sucks balls now and he sold out. He does pop albums just like the rest of them when 10 years ago the back of his concert shirts read "Nashville Sucks." Cory Morrow is Pat Green's best friend and my favorite of all the Texas country artists...in fact I am seeing him live tonight in Ft. Worth, his live concerts are as good as anything you can ever see. The last show I went to of his though he kept having to go backstage to do more blow, then a month later he got busted. Now he is clean apparently. His music appeals to a broad range of people, not just people that are fans of country but people that like rock music as well.

Some artists:

Cory Morrow, Robert Earl Keen, Jason Boland & The Stragglers, Cross Canadian Ragweed (not a fan but they are a cult favorite), Dub Miller, Cooder Graw, Roger Creager, Jack Ingram

These are just a couple off the top of my head. I am sure other people can add tons to the list.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen Cory Morrow 3 times, both when he was on blow and when he was sober. His latest concert was the best concert I have ever seen. Unlike Pat Green, Cory Morrow is getting better as time goes on. Jason Boland was also a really good show.
Old 03-24-2007, 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Q:What do you get when you play a country song backwards?

A:You get your wife back, you get your dog back, you get your house back, you get your car back...

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the chorus of a newer country song (not a very good one though)

I grew up and live in the middle of the Canadian prairies, and pretty much hated country. Now, I actually listen to a lot of it and enjoy it. However, I agree there are some songs that are absolutely horrible. Most of them are covers of good songs.
Old 03-24-2007, 03:38 PM

OP, I suggest you open your mind a little. Of course listening to the same thing over and over will make you tired of any genre. Especially, if you're listening to pop radio. Even the good songs are played so often that you'll get tired of them to the point of hating them. As was already suggested, you have plenty of options available to you. There's satellite, MP3, internet, college radio and NPR.

Now, back to hating country music. You can learn to love at least some of it. Try a gradual approach. Download some Southern Rock. Bands like Lynyrd Skynyrd, Allman Brothers, Georgia Sattellites, Drivin and Crying. They rock but they also have a very heavy country influence. You could try some of the so called alt country. Steve Earle, Niko Case come to mind. There are plenty of others. Violent Femmes did some good country stuff. As already mentioned the Stones have done country also.

To further your progression, you can start listening to the work Johnny Cash did with Rick Rubin. It's pure country with a heavy metal sensibility. A lot of people hate them, but Hayseed Dixie do bluegrass covers of hard rock and heavy metal songs, you might get a kick out of them. Speaking of blue grass Dolly Parton's last 4 of 5 albums have been blue grass and they sound great. She does a real nice cover of Stair Way to Heaven.

Now you'll be ready for some hard core traditional CW music. Start out with Hank Williams III. He made a whole album about drinking and drugging and how much he hates pop country music, the album is great. Then move on to some of the artists he mentions in the album. Besides Johnny Cash, there is Merle Haggard, David Allan Coe, George Jones and his grandfather Hank Williams.

Give it a shot, I think you'll be surprised. I'm from a small midwestern town also. I think growing up, we have acquired a prejudice against country music. We don't want to be hillbillies. Except for Johnny Cash, I hated CW also. I didn't learn to love CW until I moved to Chicago.

BTW, I hope you got payed a lot of money to leave the boundary waters for Colorado.
Old 03-24-2007, 06:25 PM

I hated country music growing up. But, that was only because my parents listened to it so much. However, there was one perfromer I liked even when I was a little kid- Johnny Horton.

Sink the Bismark (my favorite)

Battle of New Orleans (his most famous)

North to Alaska

When It's Sprintime in Alaska (my parents told me stories of living in Alaska so I liked these last two)

Today, I can like any music if it's done well.
Old 03-24-2007, 06:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
For everyone else, I post a gratuitous picture of my favorite country singer.

[/ QUOTE ]

You lose.

[/ QUOTE ]

ORLY?

[/ QUOTE ]

I see they airbrushed teeth in.
Old 03-24-2007, 07:25 PM

ok apart from the already mentioned waylon, willie, johnny c, george jones and merle haggard you gotta check out some of the more left field artistes such as terry allen, townes van zandt, guy clark, gram parsons (solo, with the byrds and the flying burrito brothers, he basically invented alt.country or whatever you want to call it and i can't believe his name has not been mentioned yet) and of course hank williams (how anybody could not like his stuff i do not understand)
Old 03-24-2007, 07:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sooooooooooooo [censored] sick of people saying they hate country music because it's the cool thing to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate country music because it sucks, not because it's cool.
Old 03-24-2007, 08:01 PM

A couple of my friends listen to country now because of their girlfriends. It's pretty sad. One use to like gansta rap. He hardly listens to any of it now.