Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2007, 09:50 AM

Default Re: A Few Things I Noticed Playing NL$25

cjs-

what makes you think they are bluff raises?
Old 03-20-2007, 09:55 AM

Just going by what was told to me in the regulars( all other sites ) thread.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ahh ok. not reading the thread but my initial opinion would be that unless you know they are a 2p2er to continue doing so. donks dont usually bluff raise at this level so calling raises with weaker holdings is going to be -EV
Old 03-20-2007, 10:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Can I ask why you have been playing 25nl? Bad run at 100nl or was this for educational purposes only.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had about $500 on site that I deposited to get a free $50 bonus shortly before Neteller crapped out. I figured rather than ask for a check, I figured I'd build it into a roll for NL$100.

I still play NL$100 on FT as my main game.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:10 AM

Nick C,

My thoughts are generalizations. Of course, there will always be exceptions like bad players on uber tilt or players who actually know how to play a little. I did not play Stars for this, but I would guess that Stars isn't that much different.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for this. A quick question:

25NL 6Max stacks all around 100BB:
You are CO with TJs. UTG Limps, MP Folds, You?
Limp behind to see a cheap flop, or raise?
There are two schools of thought as I'm sure you know. Limp behind to see cheap flop - then you find yourself in an unraised mutiway pot, where if you smack the flop the others are not very invested in the pot and can get away easy, or Raise to isolate and get HU and also so you cutivate a non-nit image. Some have said to treat limped pot as if it is still unopened, and thus to 'open' raise with your open raiseing range, which sould be broad in the CO 6max.

In your opinion which is better at 25NL. Anyone else who has an opinion please comment. Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

Assuming that there isn't a player I am trying to push out or isolate, I'd limp here and probably call if one of the blinds raises. JTs plays well multi-way and in position in a multi-way pot there is plenty of time to get the monies in the middle when you hit.

I will say that raising is not 'wrong', I'd say it's option 1A. If the limper has a high folds to c-bet % and you know a raise will isolate then raising and taking down 8bbs or so on the flop is not a bad outcome.

I'm not a big fan of trying to see how high I can get my pre-flop raise %. Most of the biggest mistakes that our opponents make are post flop. My pre-flop raise stratgey revolves around how I want to play the hand post flop. Am I in or out of position? Do I want a HU pot or multi-way? etc. etc. etc.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ahh ok. not reading the thread but my initial opinion would be that unless you know they are a 2p2er to continue doing so. donks dont usually bluff raise at this level so calling raises with weaker holdings is going to be -EV

[/ QUOTE ]

Being the sheriff is an expensive option at NL$25. Unless you get a read that indicates a bluff, then just keep on folding. You make money when you get paid off on your big hands, not be picking off bluffs.

Here's one of my favorite sayings: uNL villains are not bluffing as often as you think, if they are betting they have something. Your job is to figure out whether your something beats villain's something.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:37 AM

Nice post about how to beat microstakes. However, you're way off if you think things are significantly different at NL100.

2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9 are all totally true at NL100.

1 and 4 are pretty much always true there as well.

Most of this stuff is still basically true at NL200, and some of it still applies to the fish at NL400. I assume a lot of it holds for fish at all stakes.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Nice post about how to beat microstakes. However, you're way off if you think things are significantly different at NL100.

2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9 are all totally true at NL100.

1 and 4 are pretty much always true there as well.

Most of this stuff is still basically true at NL200, and some of it still applies to the fish at NL400. I assume a lot of it holds for fish at all stakes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree it's true for the bad players at NL$100 (and every level for that matter). The biggest difference is that you usually have at least one or two guys at your NL$100 table who have a clue so you have to adapt your play when you get involved with them in hands.

Also, I think there is more bluffing and semi-bluff raising happening at NL$100 (at least on FT), which tends to inflate pots a lot more quickly than what you see at the micro levels.