Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2007, 10:30 PM

Default Re: All-In Check Down Etiquette ???

If I had a chiplead I bluff the river with air to preserve the bubble.
Old 03-17-2007, 12:46 AM

Are you [censored] kidding me? You have the absolute nuts on the river here why in god's name would you check? I would have burst out in laughter and asked the guy where I could get whatever he is on.
Old 03-17-2007, 01:40 AM

I was thinking I'd have tried to be a dick and isolate this guy. Use the bubble to piss the table off.

I'm all about getting heads up preflop w/ a huge overlay. The small stack survives no biggie I get to play on the bubble some more.
Old 03-17-2007, 03:44 AM

I agree that original posters play was correct with the nuts. To be frank it would almost cross the line into collusion if he didn't.

As for bluffing or semibluffing into a dry side pot.
Ted Forrest semibluffed into a dry side pot at a WPT final table. Kido Pham was short stacked and all in pre flop. Ted was the big stack and Chris Bell was also in the hand. Ted has A9s and the board was K84 with two spades giving Ted the flush draw. Ted bet out and Chris folded and Kido flipped A5o. Turn was a 9 giving Ted the hand. As it turns out it was the case 9 as Bell had 99.

With Bell out of the pot, three situations arise, Kido triples up but is still short stacked and Ted can continue to steal. If Ted wins he extends his chip lead and its 3 handed. If the pot gets chopped Kido is short stacked. If Bell is in the pot and wins, they are down to 3 handed with Bell cutting Ted's chip lead making it harder to steal.

I think there were other considerations in play here such as the fact that Kido could have been pushing any two cards and plus Bell really struggled to call pre-flop indicating that he didn't have a super strong hand.

I can't find the source right now but I've seen an interview with Gavin Smith where he advocates bluffing into a dry side pot on the bubble when the all-in player is extrenely short stacked and would not be much of a factor if he triples or quadruples up.
Old 03-17-2007, 08:14 AM

What's with people who think that anything acceptable (by the rules) isn't dickish? Get a clue, there are things allowed by the rules that are still dick moves!

Sure there are rare situations when the move is strategically good for you. There's also plenty of other situations in NL where being a dick is the best decision.

Bluffing at a dry side pot is still a dick move, but if you haven't thought it through well enough to be able to defend your action your probably just a donkey and not a dick.
Old 03-17-2007, 08:24 AM

I honestly would've bet the flop to get people out and clean up your outs. Your goal is to win the tournament. You didn't join the tournament to make friends or move up the money. The most profitable way to play tournaments is to make the highest cEV play 99% of the time. Imagine that the allin player has a hand like A8 and a caller has AQ. If you bet the flop, not only do you clean up your Q out when AQ folds, you clean up your K out. Your equity in the pot increases amazingly and this very juicy pot has a good chance of heading your way.

People in live tournaments love chopping and they love checking it down and paying out more spots because that seems like a 'win' to them. It's flawed thinking and makes no sense. If you enter a $50 tournament to win $75, you shouldn't be there.
Old 03-19-2007, 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
5. Also, consider this scenario. ... If you get called, even if you lose to the all-in player, you could still win a significant side pot and gain more chips in the hand. ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmmm Not a bad idea.
Thanks
Old 03-19-2007, 03:47 PM

I like bluffing into a dry side pot with air
Old 03-19-2007, 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
2. If I have a big stack at a tourney in a situation like yours, I may not even want the shortstack to be knocked out. In bubble situations, big stacks can bully and collect even more chips so why would you want to change that?

Finally someone agrees with me. If im the big stack there are many time I wont even want someone to get knocked out so I can continue to rob everyone blind on the bubble.

[/ QUOTE ]

Until I read these posts, I Never really thought about like that.
Learning something new every day.....

[ QUOTE ]
By the way in this case the guy complaining is a braindead donkey.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would pass that along, but the guy in question is a RATHER LARGE braindead Donkey.

(But it's a nice thought.....)
Old 03-19-2007, 03:54 PM

Screw em. I would've repopped PF.