Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2007, 02:47 AM

Default Re: On The Velocity: thirddan\'s log

got back from the gym...my package from biotest got in today, woohoo...made a surge pwo after work and headed to the gym...took half the shake to sip while working and left half in the fridge for after...[censored] tastes good, it was the regular flavor, got one container or rasberry or whatever the other flavor is too...could be a placebo effect or maybe not but i felt pretty good during this workout and today wasn't too bad in terms of hunger...i upped the weight on pretty much my whole program today from where it was last monday which is cool...probably a combination of me starting the program out as a pussy and me possibly getting a bit stronger/more confident...

-Pullups - 10 sets of 3...half at body weight, half assised for 10lbs (last week i had 40lbs on the assist)
-Flat Bench - 10 sets of 3...155 (same as last week, next week will probably go to 165 if i feel good)
-Squat - 3 sets of 8...1 set at 115, 2 sets at 135 (last week all were at 115)...first set i tried with my thumb on top like last week, but had a similar numbness/tingly feeling so i did the other sets with thumb wrapped under...wore a knee sleeve on my right knee, seemed to help...
-Deadlift - 10 sets of 3...all at 155 (same as last week)...tore up my forearm again, gotta check up on my form.l..
-Standing Calf Raise - 1 set of 8...140 lbs (130 last week)
-Dips - 1 set of 15 w/ body weight and 1 set of 9 w/ body weight, 9th rep was to failure, i was exhausted...

supposed to have one more shake tonite, to make 4 shakes + pwo...would end up being around 1400 cals which is a good number for a workout day...might not be too hungry but i think i will try the chocolate metabolic drive...

also hit lowes today during lunch and bought a length of chain/plastic tubing/clamp and put a dip belt together for 8 bucks, sports authority wanted 25, bleh...will use it on friday for my weighted dips...

edit: im also considering kicking the hrx from 2 caps 2x/day to 3 caps 2x/day...not sure yet...
Old 03-20-2007, 02:52 AM

thirddan,

Please use a better workout too. Your diet seems in line. Now choose a nice easy workout to go with it. Of your 5 compound lifts... You could structure an entire week with some ancillary movements based on just what you do. Maybe buff up the dips a bit. But yeah... Way too much for one workouts.

Keep in mind your recovery will go way down while on a diet like this. This is way too much for anyone.
Old 03-26-2007, 02:32 PM

still going stong on the diet...
weight 158.4 (hmm, didn't lose last week but down about 5lbs total)
body fat 18.0 (down over 1%, ill take it)

possible new workout schedule...let me know what you all think

mon - deadlift 10x3, pullup 10x3, bench 10x3, 1x10 cg bench, 1x10 bb curl, 1x10 calf raise, abs

tue - cardio

wed - squat 10x3, overhead press 10x3, fly 10x3 (better chest workout suggestions?), 1x6 cg bench, 1x6 bb cur, 1x6 calf raise, abs

thur - cardio

fri - weigh dips 10x3, row 10x3, lateral raise 3x8, lunges, 3x8, cg bench 1x8, bb curl 1x8, calf raise 1x8, abs...

Old 03-27-2007, 06:34 AM

How can you possibly have the energy to do all that work? I did this diet and I have a lot of respect for anyone who goes through with it. When I did it, I lost weight way too fast and had absolutely no energy so I had to add more fat. Do you not feel like falling on your face halfway through workouts?
Old 03-27-2007, 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How can you possibly have the energy to do all that work? I did this diet and I have a lot of respect for anyone who goes through with it. When I did it, I lost weight way too fast and had absolutely no energy so I had to add more fat. Do you not feel like falling on your face halfway through workouts?

[/ QUOTE ]

actually it hasn't been bad at all...on workout days im doing around 1450 cals and non-workout days about 1250...did you use the products they recommend? i drink metabolic drive all day and a half a surge during workout half after the workout...i've been on this a week and half and lost about 5lbs, less than most people, but im not really sure if its because i have less fat than i thought or because i am actually gaining muscle, i think its the latter, good to be a newbie...during my workouts im usually pretty pumped, but i was also taking naps about 3 or 4 times per week for an hour or so after work...hasn't been nearly as bad as i thought, but its still early...

also notice that im not lifting incredibly heavy on the biggest exercises...

oh, and im gonna move the abs to cardio days cuz that makes more sense to me...
Old 03-31-2007, 01:46 PM

Updates?
Old 03-31-2007, 02:49 PM

trying to weight less frequently so i havent been updating as much...

as of thursday i was 156.4 and 17.5% bf...the weight drop since i started is just below 7lbs (not bad, not great) but the body fat is a 2% drop in 2 weeks, i imagine that is pretty good...but the proof is in the mirror, im smaller and "more cut" BUT IM STRONGER, i imagine a lot of it is based on my relative newness to this kind of weight lifting, ive lifted on and off but like a standard ignorant person (lots of bench lots of machines etc) i imagine getting 200g of protein is helping as well and the hrx prob helps but there is really no way i can prove it...

my weight has kind of been bouncing around and didn't drop much after a large drop the first week, but shugart/others have said that some people don't lose any weight over a week or so but that they will drop again in subsequent weeks/days...im a little over half way there and can remember being actually hungry maybe a handful of times, not bad at all...i have even missed a couple shakes late at night cuz im simply not hungry (i prob should have sucked them down anyways but can't do anything about it now)

i do 3 full body workouts a week and go for a walk the other days, no matter how early or late i have to go i make sure to take a walk every day, on so little cals i can't really do more than 5/10 min of uphill walking or biking at the gym, and HIIT [censored] forget it, no chance, but getting some walking in is no problem...i was supposed to go to the gym last night but ended up getting woken up from my after work nap to go to a movie with some friends, didn't get home till around 1 so i decided to push going to the gym until today (im going in a bit) figured i would be able to get a much better workout fresh, so instead of doing nothing i went for an hour or so walk around my neighborhood...

im supposed to have a solid meal today as you get one per week, but im thinking of pushing off till tomorrow since shugart puts it on a non-workout day, but i don't think it matters, i might have a chicken breast/veggie stir fry after my pwo shake...not really sure yet...its good to do on a weekend cuz i wake up late and can get a little more cals from my solid meal since slept through my morning shake and have some cals to make up for [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

today -
10x3 weighted dips
10x3 barbell row
3x8 lateral raises
3x8 lunges (might try bulgarian split squats, they look interesting)

oh, and i haven't cheated once since i got on...was gonna post pics at halfway, but im gonna wait till its all over...

edit: ive also switched to front squats since by hand tingly problem or whatever during back squats didnt happen, i also think that my form is better when doing them since its forcing me to keep my back more vertical and my chest out...two days later i had small bruises on my clavicle where the bar was resting, gotta keep the bar lower [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-31-2007, 02:56 PM

thirddan,

Smiley is probably better to ask about front squat advice, but if your are using a clean grip I find that its super important to keep my elbows up. If I let them sag, I usually end up in a world of [censored].

Seems like diet is working. Nice work.
Old 03-31-2007, 03:14 PM

oh, and during my walks and during work ive been listening to thefitcast.com episodes...they have interviews etc w/ a ton of t-nation people, so far ive gone through ten or so and i like the john berardi one the best...
Old 04-01-2007, 12:07 AM

didnt weigh today...

workout:

barbell rows: 10x3 @ 145 and i think i can do more
weighted dips: 10x3 w/ 35lb plate - perfect weight
lateral raise: 3x8 @ 15lb db
lunges: 3x8 @ 35lb db in each hand - this one wears me out like crazy cuz its a reps per set
barbell curl: 2x6 @ 70
close grip bench: 2x8 @ 95
calf raise: 2x8 @ 160

i also walked about 4 miles running errands and whatnot during the day...

the isolation exercises are kind of whatever and change w/ every workout (probably bad) but i try to do at least one set of each and really get the last bit of energy out...

gonna have my solid meal tonite: most likely a chicken breast on the foreman and a ton of veggies w/ some lemon juice or garlic powder...gonna pile on the veggies so i can get around 500 cals in the meal and just cut out one shake for the day so my daily cals don't change for the solid meal day...

side note: since ive been on this diet i have become really interested in nutrition and cooking, went to a used bookstore today and got a copy of lou schulers testosterone guide and a copy of berardi's metabolic advantage, gonna do some reading and look forward to making weird ass shakes and learning to cook...just something i found interesting...