Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2007, 06:43 PM

Default Re: Thremp\'s Log

CDS,

WTF?

I don't do that workout nor really know what does into it. Get a spotter though and test your 1RM or 5RM or whatever the protocol calls for.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:09 PM

yeah your like the Gym dude so figured u might know...ill ask cbloom
Old 04-02-2007, 07:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yeah your like the Gym dude so figured u might know...ill ask cbloom

[/ QUOTE ]

Start a new thread. You'll get much better responses. I was just honestly confused why you posted this in my log and didn't PM or start a new thread.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
CDS,

WTF?

I don't do that workout nor really know what does into it. Get a spotter though and test your 1RM or 5RM or whatever the protocol calls for.

[/ QUOTE ]
This isn't the best advice for Charlie. He hasn't squatted in years, done a deadlift before, etc.

Starting light is important, so he can learn form, and so his tendons and ligaments can adjust to training. He should not be doing anything near maximal while he's trying to learn the movement correctly.

Start out at a low weight, and if you feel that it is way too light, next workout add 10 lbs. I wouldn't add more than that because you want to be able to complete the sets, if you get stuck it sucks. In other words, its better to add 10 lbs one workout, and then 5 the next instead of adding 15, getting stuck, and repeating that weight next time.

So don't worry about finding your limit, you'll hit that point in no time when you add weight each workout.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:05 PM

tbk,

I disagree. His CNS isn't trained enough to busto his soft tissues.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
tbk,

[/ QUOTE ]
Where are you getting that from? I think finding your 1 or 5 RM after you've barely learned correct form is dangerous.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
tbk,

[/ QUOTE ]

His CNS might not be trained enough to busto himself with isometric flexion but the mighty force of gravity pulling on iron is very well trained.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:48 AM

cds,

The path lies somewhere in between. Read up on/watch the movements. Then use light weights to get comfortable with them, increase your muscle memory, and and get a feel for how to recruit the required muscles.

Once you're comfortable, don't be afraid to rack up the weight.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:43 AM

It would be stupid to test for 1RM or 5RM as it wouldn't be of much use to a newbie. They don't have the form of the lift down which makes it difficult to gauge how strong someone really is, and there's a good likelihood that they would hurt themselves using bad form. The other reason why it's stupid for newbies is because they get stronger after every workout, so even if you did have a figure that represented the maximal load their bodies could lift, it would be out-of-date and useless for programming purposes by the next workout.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:44 AM

tbk,

On some exercises yes. On some... Not really. Take Dids while he was very fat. If he sat on a low stool, he'd likely be using horrid form to get up from what is essentially a max squat. He's not going to injure himeself. Obviously when testing maxes you'd make small jumps and test until form breaks down. You wouldn't push beyond that. I think almost every large instituion does something vaguely similar with athletes on weightlifting programs. And stay rather conservative with weights, form etc.

cbloom,

Please don't use nonsense.

skunk,

I disagree as different workouts call for different weights and it helps to determine a weight he should be starting with. Some are more sensitive to volume, failure, etc than others. But if you have a workout program such as Bill Starr's 5x5, how many weeks will it take before you finally hit failure and reach the recommended rep range?

All,

I def don't recommend people maxing out with lifts that are complex or require a ton of coaching. Most of your bigger lifts such as chins, rows, bench, and to a lesser degree squat take a very short amount of time to develop safe form (not perfect since I think all of us still notice reps that we messed up). Even in the very early stages it still helps to record things to follow certain programs and move through them. It also makes it easy to notice progress.

After some consideration I decided that the deadlift should probably be excluded from the list above. Obv along with all O-lifts etc. I don't want new trainees to go in and try to kill themselves, but once they have basic form down they should atleast try to see what they can handle.