Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2007, 07:26 PM

Default Re: Drinking soda to increase calorie intake?

[ QUOTE ]

I hope you're leveling here... Putting on muscle mass is 90% diet related.

[/ QUOTE ]

completely agree, when I said his diet shouldn't give him problems, I meant "the fact that you're a vegetarian should not give you problems". as you mentioned he will make huge gains as a beginner, meat or no.

[ QUOTE ]

Diet is #1 for hypertrophy, and red meat is a crucial part of diet.

[/ QUOTE ]

at least for me, it was/is relatively easy to gain muscle mass and not eat any meat at all. it's certainly not necessary.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The literature says omega-6 fats have an optimal ratio, but you want to minimze saturated and trans fats completely

[/ QUOTE ]
Ok, what foods have transfats/saturated fats? I really dont eat any fats that cant be found in meat, or olive oil, or nuts. Does steak have tranfats? I never really knew muc about this, other than the old popcorn butter had tons fo trannies.

[/ QUOTE ]
Meat and dairy products have trans fats, but these trans fats may not be as bad as the artificial kind. The artificial trans fats in shortenings and processed foods are definitely unhealthy.

Any fat that is solid at room temperature is made up of mostly saturated fatty acids. This includes most animal fats, butter, etc.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The literature says omega-6 fats have an optimal ratio, but you want to minimze saturated and trans fats completely

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, what foods have transfats/saturated fats? I really dont eat any fats that cant be found in meat, or olive oil, or nuts. Does steak have tranfats? I never really knew muc about this, other than the old popcorn butter had tons fo trannies.

[/ QUOTE ]

Meat has very small quantities of trans fats that aren't really worth worrying about. Most trans fats come from partially hydrogenated vegetable oils.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:25 PM

Just buy tubs of whatever nuts you like (sunflower are my favorite) and leave them wherever you sit around the house - TV, computer for me. And force yourself to snack on them constantly. Also, ALWAYS eat a meal before going to bed. Try a double serving of oatmeal (use whole milk) and a protein shake every night, this will add around 500 calories a day without making you feel anymore full throughout the day.
Old 03-13-2007, 03:04 AM

i ate vegetarian for nearly 4 years... because my ex was a vegetarian which pretty much made me a vegetarian...lol.

but seriously it's not hard to gain weight as a vegetarian, don't drink soda, drink a lot of beer. Seriously, i got thicker then i've ever been in my live... not fat either. But i probably averaged 3 beers a day. Previously, i was tall and really skinny all my life
Old 03-13-2007, 04:29 AM

Heater,

I have never heard of meat having trans fats. At least not your typical beef/chicken/pork/etc. Are you sure sure sure of this? I tend to doubt it.

Mikey,

Sunflower seeds all day. Taste great. And they aren't particularly high in sodium either as many people think. Another thing I love is cutting up an apple and putting peanut butter (all natural obv) on the slices. Very tasty.

Turnip,

Good to hear!
Old 03-13-2007, 12:49 PM

"Trans fats occur naturally in the milk and body fat of ruminants (such as cows and sheep) at a level of 2-5% of total fat.[4] Natural trans fats, which include conjugated linoleic acid and vaccenic acid, originate in the rumens of these animals.

Animal-based fats were once the only trans fats consumed, but by far the largest amount of trans fat consumed today is created by the processed food industry as a side-effect of partially hydrogenating unsaturated plant fats (generally vegetable oils). These hydrogenated fats have displaced natural solid fats and liquid oils in many areas, notably in the fast food, snack food, fried food and baked good industries."

Wikipedia
Old 03-13-2007, 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Mikey,

Sunflower seeds all day. Taste great. And they aren't particularly high in sodium either as many people think. Another thing I love is cutting up an apple and putting peanut butter (all natural obv) on the slices. Very tasty.

[/ QUOTE ]

I got some nuts last night. I'll be getting some sunflower seeds too. Good call on apples + peanut butter, totally forgotten about such a delicious combo.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OP, this song is dedicated to you and your girlfriend.

[/ QUOTE ]

ahaha, excellent, those guys are great