Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2007, 08:22 PM

Default Re: help a clueless guy about paying for dates

[ QUOTE ]
Good grief it is official that I am old. When did women start paying for dates? I have been married for 10 yrs so I am way out of practice on dating, but when I was dating, it was just assumed that the guy was paying. I mean if you don't you look like some kind of loser. I am from the midwest so maybe that has something to do with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it's a midwest thing. I'd never pay for more then 2 dates without her offering to pay for something.

I really like the idea of whoever posted that they'd never put themself in a situation to have to pay for a woman they havn't had sex with. I might try and make this standard for myself too.
Old 03-10-2007, 08:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I really like the idea of whoever posted that they'd never put themself in a situation to have to pay for a woman they havn't had sex with. I might try and make this standard for myself too.

[/ QUOTE ]

In theory, this is a great thing to do, however, it doesn't always manifest itself like it sounds like it should.

1)It's an advanced strategy and I wouldn't recommend it to the rookie coming off the bench. Try to work it in with dinner/drink dates or whatever. Like say first date is dinner, second date is a walk through the park or something like that where you don't spend money.

Pittsburgh has this thing in the summer called Cinema In The Park where movie screens are setup in city parks and they show a movie every Wednesday and Saturday. It's usually a new DVD release, however some are older movies. This is so money for a date. I'm going to miss that bread and butter once I move.

2)Women are definitely down with the creative date than just the standard dinner. However, they are not stupid and realize you're not spending money on her. Don't expect panties to fall just because you're not spending money. However, this is usually a good way to find a quality woman.

=============

I am also not down with the shopping date previously mentioned by someone. I think that's a sure way to get yourself stuck in friendville right off the bat. You are not her friend, you are not her shopping buddy. That has to be made clear from the beginning.
Old 03-10-2007, 10:40 PM

Kid & Iggy,

Both of you guys sound really jaded and angry in the majority of your posts. I'm not sure what kind of women you're picking up, but WOW they don't sound nice. I usually offer to go halvsies on the second date, or if it's the third date, I'll offer to treat. The fact of the matter is, I spent a hell of a lot more money on getting my hair & nails done and my entire body waxed then you're going to spend on this dinner, so I don't feel guilty at all not having to pay for it.

All,
I'm on a very fixed income, so I can afford to pay if we go to fast food, and maybe once a month at a midlevel chain. The person I date tends to like very nice restaurants, so there is no way I could afford to offer to go halvsies, and I have no problem making that known.

OP,
The girl probably forgot to say thank you because she was nervous. Awkward, but I wouldn't stress about it.
Old 03-10-2007, 10:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Good grief it is official that I am old. When did women start paying for dates? I have been married for 10 yrs so I am way out of practice on dating, but when I was dating, it was just assumed that the guy was paying. I mean if you don't you look like some kind of loser. I am from the midwest so maybe that has something to do with it.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think the general mindset on dating has changed over the years too. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Granted, this isn't true for all people, just apparently the people in this thread. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

the way to do it is hump the chick FIRST and then treat her to things as REWARDS for doing stuff for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

that sounds like prostitution.
Old 03-10-2007, 10:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I think the general mindset on dating has changed over the years too. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Granted, this isn't true for all people, just apparently the people in this thread. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

the way to do it is hump the chick FIRST and then treat her to things as REWARDS for doing stuff for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

that sounds like prostitution.

[/ QUOTE ]

What does taking a girl to dinner and paying her way sound like to you? Bribery maybe. lol
It is telling the girl you do not deserve her company on your own merits.

To me it is being played for a damn fool. What is she your child or something, you pay her way?
Old 03-10-2007, 11:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

OP,
The girl probably forgot to say thank you because she was nervous. Awkward, but I wouldn't stress about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe the first date. But the 2nd date too? Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.
Old 03-10-2007, 11:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Kid & Iggy,

Both of you guys sound really jaded and angry in the majority of your posts. I'm not sure what kind of women you're picking up, but WOW they don't sound nice. I usually offer to go halvsies on the second date, or if it's the third date, I'll offer to treat. The fact of the matter is, I spent a hell of a lot more money on getting my hair & nails done and my entire body waxed then you're going to spend on this dinner, so I don't feel guilty at all not having to pay for it.

[/ QUOTE ]
I would love for you to point out where you get that impression. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 03-10-2007, 11:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

OP,

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe the first date. But the 2nd date too? Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I say thank you when a stranger holds a door for me for 2 seconds until I get to it.
Old 03-10-2007, 11:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The good looking ones can get away with never paying and are used to it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Then let someone else pay for her if they're so eager to.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-10-2007, 11:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Kid...

...The fact of the matter is, I spent a hell of a lot more money on getting my hair & nails done and my entire body waxed then you're going to spend on this dinner, so I don't feel guilty at all not having to pay for it.

[/ QUOTE ]
LOL, I actually took a moment to read what you wrote, and I have to laugh at your mentality. Getting waxed and getting nails done has nothing to do with going on a date. That is not a prerequisite, do you realize this? I also get haircuts and pay for hair gel, who cares? It's a part of personal hygiene and preference on how I appear. If you want to get your nails professionally done instead of doing them yourself and pay to get waxed instead of waxing yourself, that should be on your own dime and not effect your potential offering of halvesies or what have you towards a meal.