Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2007, 12:11 AM

Default Re: Q&A, three part post: Lifting, lifestyles, nutrition, etc. **LONG*

TxRedMan I was wondering if you could do the favor of designing a workout plan to start me off (just something as a base that I will alter as I learn more about my body and what I can do)

Background:
Senior in high school about 5'8" and 125-130 pounds. I have always been a runner and usually run about 4-5 times a week about 15-20 miles. My goal is to actually gain some muscle mass and get a lot stronger while also maintaining some aerobic abilities. Numerically I was thinking about gaining 10-15 pounds of muscle, able to rep bench 150ish, equivalent squat (300?) by September 1 going to the gym 6 days a week for about 2-3 hrs (im doing that now its just all running, basketball, and just messing around).

For the last couple of weeks I have done a 3 day circuit of upper body, different upper body, legs doing the circuit twice a week. I used this mainly to just learn about the different lifts, etc. Could u give me a detailed plan and some advice as to how to still incorporate some cardio (I know I will have to make some sacrifices on it)?

Also what kind of nutrition would u recommend for me? I currently have some whey protein but how much and when should I be taking this?

Thank you for your help and doing this thread
Old 03-07-2007, 01:35 AM

Bruiser,

I think you are brain damaged. Seriously.

1C5,

No.

cbiz,

Are you illiterate also?
Old 03-07-2007, 02:02 AM

I forgot to mention that I giggled a bit at the deadlift being a just "lower back" exercise.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:03 AM

thremp why do you think that
Old 03-07-2007, 02:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
thremp why do you think that

[/ QUOTE ]

My body of evidence consists of:

1) What you posted in the thread above, which I will not excuse since you seem to continually post the most inane and retarded questions that I cannot even begin to understand.
2) You paid ~3500 for a mPUA to teach you to nail sloots and you walk up to a group of girls at a bookstore and drop: "So you guys lesbos?" (Exact words not needed).

Either is a pretty solid case. Both is beating a dead horse.
Old 03-07-2007, 03:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
TxRedMan I was wondering if you could do the favor of designing a workout plan to start me off (just something as a base that I will alter as I learn more about my body and what I can do)

Background:
Senior in high school about 5'8" and 125-130 pounds. I have always been a runner and usually run about 4-5 times a week about 15-20 miles. My goal is to actually gain some muscle mass and get a lot stronger while also maintaining some aerobic abilities. Numerically I was thinking about gaining 10-15 pounds of muscle, able to rep bench 150ish, equivalent squat (300?) by September 1 going to the gym 6 days a week for about 2-3 hrs (im doing that now its just all running, basketball, and just messing around).

For the last couple of weeks I have done a 3 day circuit of upper body, different upper body, legs doing the circuit twice a week. I used this mainly to just learn about the different lifts, etc. Could u give me a detailed plan and some advice as to how to still incorporate some cardio (I know I will have to make some sacrifices on it)?

Also what kind of nutrition would u recommend for me? I currently have some whey protein but how much and when should I be taking this?

Thank you for your help and doing this thread

[/ QUOTE ]

learn perfect form, never stray from it, and never fall into the trap of having a spotter who helps you with every rep so it appears you're lifting more weight than you actually are.

day1

barbell bench press

1x10
5x5
2x3

incline barbell bench press
1x8
2x6
3x3

pec deck
2x10

Triceps

narrow grip bench press
1x10
3x6
2x3

Triceps push downs
1x10
1x8
1x6
2x10

Day2

Legs

squats
1x20
1x12
2x8
2x6
1x15

Leg press
1x10
3x6
2x3

Leg extensions

1x12
1x10
1x8
1x10

Biceps
Alternating dumbell curls

1x12
1x10
1x8
2x6

Barbell curls
1x8
3x6
1x8

Isolation dumbell curls
3x8

Day3
OFF

Day4
Shoulders

Military barbell press
1x15
1x10
3x8
2x6

Upright rows
1x15
3x8
1x6
1x12

Shrugs
1x15
1x10
3x8

Back

Deadlift

1x15
1x10
3x8
2x6

Pulldowns
1x12
1x10
3x8
1x12

Dumbell rows
1x10
3x8
3x5

Day5

abs/calves/cardio/forearms

Day6
off

Day7
off

REPEAT

Keys: i want you reaching failure on your final two heavy sets of each exercise. i.e., the last rep you should need assistance on each of the last two heavy sets you do for each exercise, except for those exercises where you can cheat a little by yourself, like curls/rows.

Read my posts thoroughly in this thread, make sure you eat like i reccomend, and you'll make some progress.

Also, supplement w/ a mulitvitamin, creatine loading system, protein and aminos.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:19 PM

Should he be hitting it this hard as a beginner? "Seems" like way too many exercises and sets for a beginner that will likely lead to over-training? Should he not focus on major muscle group exercises for 6-months?
Old 03-08-2007, 02:16 AM

Thank you very much for the direction. I did the leg workout today and can say that I'm quite tired. I wasn't going as deep as I should be on squats so I will have to work on that. I did have a few questions about it though. You say that I should reach failure on the final two heavy sets of each exercise. Does this mean that I should be increasing the weight throughout or should it be the same weight each time?
Like squats are:
1x20
1x12
2x8
2x6
1x15

Should the last 6 and 15 be more than the others? Should it slowly progress each set? If you could elaborate on that it would be great.

Also where should I look for the creatine loading system and aminos and what company of whey protein do u recommend?

The last thing is that I really would like to have more than one day of cardio (ideally 3). Is this possible? If so where should I put them and I am willing to go in mornings (i lift in the afternoon) to run once or twice a week if I have to.
Old 03-10-2007, 06:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thank you very much for the direction. I did the leg workout today and can say that I'm quite tired. I wasn't going as deep as I should be on squats so I will have to work on that. I did have a few questions about it though. You say that I should reach failure on the final two heavy sets of each exercise. Does this mean that I should be increasing the weight throughout or should it be the same weight each time?
Like squats are:
1x20
1x12
2x8
2x6
1x15

Should the last 6 and 15 be more than the others? Should it slowly progress each set? If you could elaborate on that it would be great.

Also where should I look for the creatine loading system and aminos and what company of whey protein do u recommend?

The last thing is that I really would like to have more than one day of cardio (ideally 3). Is this possible? If so where should I put them and I am willing to go in mornings (i lift in the afternoon) to run once or twice a week if I have to.

[/ QUOTE ]

First off- there's no excuse for not going deep when doing squats provided you're able bodied.

quit that sissy [censored] right now.

If I were doing the following rep volume for squats;

1x20 (i could probably do 25 max)
1x12 (i could probably do 15 max)
2x8 (i could probably do 10 max)
2x6 (i can do 4 on my own, and i need help w/ the last two)
1x15 (i can do 13 on my own, need help w/the last two)

so that means you're adding enough weight to meet the above criteria.

i.e., if you can do 135 fifteen times, then you don't want to be using 135 for your 6 rep sets, you'll want to use (this is a guess) about 205.

a few more random notes on lifting:

when doing incline bench press i reccomend that you find an adjustable bench. most gyms will have them, some will not. if your gym doesnt have an adjustable incline bench, i suggest finding a new gym.

the higher up you adjust the bench, i.e., the closer is gets to being upright, the more deltoid work is involved in the lift. i prefer to keep the bench just about as close to parallel with the ground as i can, which usually means keeping it set on the lowest setting. the reason for this is just like i described above, it cuts down on the deltoid involvement in the lift, and for a lot of lifters your delts will try and take over a lot of exercises.

if you find yourself doing a back workout and your biceps are getting a huge pump and your back feels less than fatigued, you know that your biceps are doing more than their fair share of work. the same goes for chest, if your shoulders are getting more pumped than your chest, adjust your angles and exercises to prevent that from happening in the future.
Old 03-10-2007, 07:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

First off- there's no excuse for not going deep when doing squats provided you're able bodied.

quit that sissy [censored] right now.

[/ QUOTE ]
I just figured out that when I go just past parallel, my ass moves under my body, which makes my back round. I believe my hamstrings aren't flexible enough, or perhaps my back has too much arch, pulling my hamstrings tighter than if my hips were in a neutral arch. Any ideas?