Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2007, 04:37 PM

Default Re: Dilemma: Still being paid from old job

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
they've since paid me direct into my account for another two months wages.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it works like it does in the US, when you filled out the forms for direct deposit, you gave them permission to access your account at will. They will simply take the money back and that will be that.

[/ QUOTE ]can they do that?
Old 02-28-2007, 04:37 PM

He doesn't have to use ANY defense. He's not doing anything wrong by not returning the money. If you're going to keep the cash, don't pussyfoot around. If they want a justification for what you did, just use the ole "yeah, you guys were giving me free money and I wanted free money" defense.
Old 02-28-2007, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As I understand UK law (IANAL) - this would not be a criminal matter. if they have stuck too much money in your bank account then all they can do is ask you nicely to give it back. If you say no they can resort to civil recover (ie a County Court), you can't be forced to give the cash back with out a judge agreeing that you owe it.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the thing. There is no agreement saying that they owe you $x or you owe them $x. This situation is analogous to you giving a bum a hundo when you meant to give him a one.

Edit: It is also unlikely that they will find the problem on their own. This would require a detailed audit that I doubt they get very often or at all.
Old 02-28-2007, 04:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
they've since paid me direct into my account for another two months wages.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it works like it does in the US, when you filled out the forms for direct deposit, you gave them permission to access your account at will. They will simply take the money back and that will be that.

[/ QUOTE ]can they do that?

[/ QUOTE ]

In the United States, yes. You give them the authority to correct mistakes exactly like this when you fill out the direct deposit paperwork.
Old 02-28-2007, 04:57 PM

Keep the money. If they ask for it back say you've spent it. It's not your fault they forgot to stop shipping you money.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Great point. Close the account today. This solves the "problem" of you getting paid, and makes it impossible for them to easily take the money back.

[/ QUOTE ]
He shouldn't close the account so long as they're still depositing monies. If he's truly worried about them asking for it back then he should open a second account and keep siphoning off of this one. No doubt he could manage that all very easily online.

Also, I disagree that it will go unnoticed indefinitely. Salaries tend to come out of department budgets, and when whoever is in charge of those is going through the numbers he/she should be able to notice the extra headcount.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:06 PM

Thanks for your advice people, I think I'm going to go with the "stick it in a savings account and hold on to it as long as possible option". I think £20 a month is all I can afford to repay :-)

Either that or I'll just stay on their payroll until i get my pension.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:27 PM

There was a case similar to this on judge judy except small-scale. An employer paid an employee 7100 instead of 170, employee spent the money before they asked for it back, and said i don't wanna give it back (because god told her she was supposed to get it). It was pretty much concluded that this woman could've had criminal charges filed against her.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:28 PM

Homer,

"Thanks for calling me a [censored] moron, though. Kill yourself. Seriously, I'm not just saying that because this is the internet. Get a [censored] gun and jam it in your mouth."

Man, you've gotten meaner!
Old 02-28-2007, 05:32 PM

Grr, you're next, masked man.