Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2007, 08:40 PM

Default Re: Those who don\'t believe in life after death - Why not Kill Yourself?

Because they value their lives more thinking it is all they have.

Mathematically:

Value of each day is inversely proportional to #days left to live.

Therefore as #days left approaches infinity the value of each day approaches zero.

Or maybe just the "majority group" doesn't have as bad of a life as you seem to think. I doubt if it has anything to do with a fear that they are wrong about what happens or doesn't happen after life. Most atheists are probably more firm in their beliefs than theists IMO.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:43 PM

Default Re: Those who don\'t believe in life after death - Why not Kill Yourself?

Ok, I understand the proscription against suicide in most major religions. But are most of you theists just sitting around, counting down the seconds, wishing that you could only cut your wrists? And if not, don't you understand how irrational you are being? You should be driving fast cars, jumping out of planes, intervening in drug deals gone bad, defending campsites from bear attacks, and so on. No matter how great your life is, no matter how much you love your family, these all equal NOTHING when compared to the infinite happiness that surely awaits you.

Does the Bible say no banana-picking?
Old 02-19-2007, 08:47 PM

Default Re: Those who don\'t believe in life after death - Why not Kill Yoursel

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
According to Athiest, killing your has no punishment.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's simply wrong and confirms the earlier point about miserable specimens.

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

I meant killing yourself...
Old 02-19-2007, 08:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, thats what I assumed, but its obvious chez did not. Can you see, now, how taking an extra few seconds and trying to make your posts intelligible prevents confusion? I am the last person to criticize spelling and grammar, but now we've reached a fairly ridiculous point where we are just as confused by your spelling as we are by your thinking.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For some reason, I can't imagine an Athiest trying to be overly good and going out of their way to doing lots of good deeds in service soley cause it makes them feel good. But I can imagine a religious person doing so cause they know that they are serving a purpose and that makes them feel good.

Atheist are HIGHLY narcisistic and thats not a good thing.

[/ QUOTE ]
I am an atheist who tries to do good things because I think it is right, not because it makes me feel good. Calling atheists "HIGHLY narcissistic" just because you cant imagine them any other way is akin to the atheists who say theists are dumb. If you cant imagine how an atheist can do good deeds, doesnt it imply that you have more to learn about atheism? Or do you not see any examples of good things done by atheists?
Old 02-19-2007, 08:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm kinda lost as to the initial thought process that went into making this thread.

You start with the premise that someone realizes that they have exactly one shot to be alive, and draw from that conclusion that it makes sense for them to kill themselves? Really? You hate life that much?

[/ QUOTE ]

Im saying, lets say there is a good life, bad life, and no life. Well, If you dont have a good life, wouldnt no life be better then a bad life. Since your bad life serves no eternal purpose. Think about it instead of wondering why people think what they do. I could say the same for Thiest but I dont dare try to be that smart(sarcasm)

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, if you have a horrible life with no prospects at improving it, suicide would be better than continuing to live. And some people, in that situation, kill themselves. Probably many people who kill themselves at least THINK they are in that situation.

Do you really think that some huge % of people in the world have lives that are so bad, with such dire prospects of improving, and are sufficiently aware of this fact, that suicide should kill more than, say, the 150,000 Americans who attempt suicide each year or the 30,000 or so who succeed?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think 90% of people believe in a supreme being. And yes I think that many peeps have sucky ass existances and the only thing good about them is knowing that there is a purpose for there suckyness which makes it less painful. But what I just said was extreme on purpose and thats why it sounds wrong. Kind of like there is no chance of there being a God thing, get it?
Old 02-19-2007, 08:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
oh your was a misspelling of yourself, I thought you'd missed off a word; wife, enemies, dog ....

Anyway nothing wrong with killing yourself so its a good thing there's no punishment. Even if god exists he would be a monstrosity if he punished anyone for killing themselves.

You should have a higher opinion of your god less he punishes you for slighting him.

chez
Old 02-19-2007, 08:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm kinda lost as to the initial thought process that went into making this thread.

You start with the premise that someone realizes that they have exactly one shot to be alive, and draw from that conclusion that it makes sense for them to kill themselves? Really? You hate life that much?

[/ QUOTE ]

Im saying, lets say there is a good life, bad life, and no life. Well, If you dont have a good life, wouldnt no life be better then a bad life. Since your bad life serves no eternal purpose. Think about it instead of wondering why people think what they do. I could say the same for Thiest but I dont dare try to be that smart(sarcasm)

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, if you have a horrible life with no prospects at improving it, suicide would be better than continuing to live. And some people, in that situation, kill themselves. Probably many people who kill themselves at least THINK they are in that situation.

Do you really think that some huge % of people in the world have lives that are so bad, with such dire prospects of improving, and are sufficiently aware of this fact, that suicide should kill more than, say, the 150,000 Americans who attempt suicide each year or the 30,000 or so who succeed?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think 90% of people believe in a supreme being. And yes I think that many peeps have sucky ass existances and the only thing good about them is knowing that there is a purpose for there suckyness which makes it less painful. But what I just said was extreme on purpose and thats why it sounds wrong. Kind of like there is no chance of there being a God thing, get it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am sure that those 'peeps' are glad to know that you think they have miserable lives. But that was only one of my conditions. They would also have to be atheists (far, far fewer 'miserable' people fit into this category), have slim chances to improve their lot, and be aware of all of these things. Still think there should be more suicides?

And no, your point wasn't extreme. It was just wrong. I really hope you aren't trying to make some grand, analagous point, because you are failing miserably.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
For some reason, I can't imagine an Athiest trying to be overly good and going out of their way to doing lots of good deeds in service soley cause it makes them feel good.

[/ QUOTE ]

What? Why the hell not?

Every time there's one of these threads, I get the uncomfortable feeling that the only reason religious people ever do good is because they're afraid the Big Guy in the Sky is watching. If there was no God, would you really never buy anyone a present, care for a sick person, or donate to a charity?

_____

Now thats not a fair assumption is it? People can't be naturally develope to be good? Your too obsessed with this God stuff, I tell ya, lol.....

[ QUOTE ]
Atheist are HIGHLY narcisistic

[/ QUOTE ]

Says who? Do you have a study on this?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think its a safe assumption that a majority would agree with.... And I can already guess ur reply to this statement is , well a majority believes in the Bible, and that isnt true either. blah. gg.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think its a safe assumption that a majority would agree with.... And I can already guess ur reply to this statement is , well a majority believes in the Bible, and that isnt true either. blah. gg.

[/ QUOTE ]
The majority believe in the bible????

You live in a strange world of your own devising.

chez