Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2007, 03:43 AM

Default Re: Beat: People think I\'m a Bum. BBV, help me Brag?

Keep in mind I am still in school and rarely talk about poker money except with very good friends but from my own experience talking to people I get a lot of "Well make sure you don't lose it all" and comments like that which make it really annoying to talk to people who don't play poker about poker.

On top of this a lot of college kids don't have money so for Jman to say well I lost/won 100k today is not really something you want to talk about.

I mean I don't play high but whenever people see me playing they're shocked that I have $400 on one table so I can understand why Jman doesn't really want to talk about it.
Old 02-18-2007, 03:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
my experiences are a lot more like shaniacs when i tell ppl. most think its cool as hell.

[/ QUOTE ]

you run good @ life

[/ QUOTE ]

mine are too, and I run with the NYC young professional crowd more than anyone else.

college kids are likely not to know or care what poker is and assume all 20-somethings out of school are losers. people who know you've graduated law school but play poker for a living can guess that it makes financial sense for you to do so. it's mad fun seeing them jealous. holla.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I didn't graduate law school like you. I dropped out of college.

I guess I act embarassed when I say what I do, which could be a big reason why I get the reactions I do. I'm not really embarrased, I just hate talking about it, and also hate to sound cocky. I also picture the other 90% of kids my age who say the words "I'm a professional poker player" and that just makes me act more embarrased.

Why are people so dumb?

LOL
Old 02-18-2007, 03:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
just say how much do you hope to make in your first year at your "real job"....they answer $xxxxxx then say no not one day a whole YEAR...oh wait are you serious? then laugh and slap them in the face with a burning wad of hundos.

[/ QUOTE ]

hahahaha
Old 02-18-2007, 03:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Keep in mind I am still in school and rarely talk about poker money except with very good friends but from my own experience talking to people I get a lot of "Well make sure you don't lose it all" and comments like that which make it really annoying to talk to people who don't play poker about poker.

On top of this a lot of college kids don't have money so for Jman to say well I lost/won 100k today is not really something you want to talk about.

I mean I don't play high but whenever people see me playing they're shocked that I have $400 on one table so I can understand why Jman doesn't really want to talk about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you guys really not capable of explaining the rudiments of the poker life without detailing the nitty gritty of 100K swings or bankroll relativity? It's so easy to describe to someone that there are many professional poker players, that there are a variety of ways of making a living as a poker player, many forms of poker, what yours is, and how you structure your work. Poker, after all, work. If they still say, "make sure not to lose it all" then they are idiots, move on.
Old 02-18-2007, 03:50 AM

Also, Jman...I didn't go to college either...and I come from a background where going to college is, well, expected. This was 10+ years ago, when there weren't cool alternatives to college like playing poker for a living that were readily accessible. I had to explain to people that I didn't intend to go to college, that I expected I would find something more and different in the world, and I didn't having anything nearly as concrete as poker to point to as an alternative.
Old 02-18-2007, 03:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you guys really not capable of explaining the rudiments of the poker life without detailing the nitty gritty of 100K swings or bankroll relativity? It's so easy to describe to someone that there are many professional poker players, that there are a variety of ways of making a living as a poker player, many forms of poker, what yours is, and how you structure your work. Poker, after all, work. If they still say, "make sure not to lose it all" then they are idiots, move on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stoner
Old 02-18-2007, 03:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why are people so dumb?

[/ QUOTE ]
because thats why you own at poker.
Old 02-18-2007, 03:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Stop caring what people think of you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha this is like the worst advice ever. You must be such a Badass!

[/ QUOTE ] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]