Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 01:22 PM

Default Re: Forum discussion, thread suggestion, and random comment thread

[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty happy with this way this forum is going, although as of late I think there's been less going on in terms of really interesting topics.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, irt this, they need to usher in the new breed of topic-starters asap to get things going again
Old 02-20-2007, 02:15 PM

Here's a link to a very interesting article. I'd post it somewhere else, but it might be interesting for this forum, and this thread probably gets more views than LOL.

Basically it's about highly intelligent slacker kids, which dominate this forum, and the major trend in parenting over the last 30 years that has seen them multiply. I saw so much of myself in this article it was scary, and I'm sure many others here will agree.

http://nymag.com/news/features/27840/index.html

http://extempore.livejournal.com/
Old 02-20-2007, 02:28 PM

how about a best of series per city, maybe weekly, kind of like the san fran thread now? attractions, bars, restaurants, etc
Old 02-20-2007, 04:56 PM

Dibs,

Thanks for your comments. We're trying to keep a good balance between keeping this a fun place where it's not an ordeal to post while keeping it a place full of interesting discussion and content.

I'm currently leaning towards a policy of deleting all really low-content posts near the start of a thread. Once a thread gets going and people are contributing good content, then a few funny one-liners is no big deal.

I delete "QFT" "I agree" and similar type posts whenever I see them. All they do is clutter up a thread.

Not sure if Ryan has added the new chunk of posters yet, but as soon as he does I imagine it'll open things up a bit. But keep in mind that the intent is not to build this up into a high traffic forum where there's always interesting new stuff to talk about. I figure most people who visit here will have a small handful of threads they're interested in keeping up with and maybe a couple of new ones they find interesting every day. That's the tradeoff that comes from not having the firehose of new threads in OOT, where you're bound to find something that interests you if you keep up with all the new threads constantly being started.
Old 02-20-2007, 05:01 PM

any interest in the weekly series on cities? i can start the next. there's a few folks here that'll vouch for my upstanding nature.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:50 PM

This might be something of a dead horse, but I'd love to see a thread about "clenching your moral conscience" or some such thing. I have the poker player's dilemma of wanting to do good while essentially being a leech. I'd like to do more than just give money I make to organizations.

What are some ways to start making a difference in the world? Organizations to volunteer for, places to submit essays to, etc. Also, any recommended reading.

I have this feeling like I want to make a difference but feel so insignificant. It would be interesting to hear people as smart as those here (and for whom I have great respect) talk about this sort of thing.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:10 PM

All,

http://www.rfshq.com/forum/games/virus2.swf

Curse this game. 25 is my best so far.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i'm pretty sure those college trips are looking for pencil pushers, translators etc. most real spooks get recruited after being some kind of military badass. i know two guys - one a much older cousin and one a friend of my dad's who were in the company and they've told some of the bet stories i've ever heard. (both were in special forces prior to their recruitment). my cousin was in the us embassy in iran during that whole ordeal and to hear him tell it is nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

ya those are the stories that absolutely fascinate me.
any good book recomendations on the subject would be appreciated.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:37 PM

I want to do a thread on open relationships.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:26 PM

Could we do a thread about traveling Europe (particularly for students or those on a budget)? Information about cheap flights, hostels, favorite destinations, general tips, etc.?
Closed Thread