Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2007, 05:06 AM

Default Re: Talk about irony... Stephen A Smith

[ QUOTE ]
I love how everyone associates Christianity with morality. It just goes to show that Christians are so very misunderstood.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 02-13-2007, 05:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How would the other kids know. It isn't like they get in front of the class and pray. What I'm picturing is a teacher who does this says "Alright class, it's time for our morning prayer. Anyone who doesn't wish to participate, please be silent out of respect for those who do. Now let us bow our heads in prayer. Bless us o Lord...." If you don't want to pray you just sit there and shut up, nobody knows that you aren't praying.

[/ QUOTE ]

In a perfect world this is how it would be run, but if you open the door and allow it you know this is not how it will be handled in the more heavily religious parts of the U.S. Also why do they need 5 minutes of prayer or quiet time or whatever. As someone else in this thread pointed out. That is called recess or lunch.

[ QUOTE ]
Why would that question be asked if we allow teachers to lead the class in prayer?

I've been a child in sunday school and church who didn't believe in God. When others were praying I was playing gameboy, sleeping, or sitting quietly until they were finished. Nobody ever excluded me from anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

Small sample size.
Old 02-13-2007, 05:36 AM

Do they make fun of the white girl with the weird voice on SNL or something? I can't imagine any other way she would seem familiar to me.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:01 AM

Don't impose on her right not to have prayer in schools? WTF, seperation of church and state.

How would she react if someone told her that they want to exercise their "right" to not use the same water fountain as a black person?
Old 02-13-2007, 08:08 AM

usa is a funny country
Old 02-13-2007, 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am a christian with a serious faith, yet I believe that prayer has no place in school. If anything, there should be time set aside for children of all backgrounds to pray or play with bricks or read books or whatever they chose to do. I hope that nobody on this forum shares the opinions of the two women in that segment, particularly the white lady who said that "This is a christian nation". This is not a christian nation. The fact that we are a majority is irrelevant. Most of america does a lot of different things. School is school! I don't understand people who think that it is right for Christianity to be promoted in a PUBLIC school with children from many different backgrounds.

I see atheism as a religion, one based on the faith that there is no God. The existence or nonexistence of a creator can ultimately never be empirically proven, no matter what Dawkins or Falwel claim. Anything that we think about the divine and it's relationship to us is mere speculation. Therefore, in the realm of logic (the government and public spaces), there should be no precendent given to any religion over another. No crosses or menorahs or forced prayer or anything like that. The fact is that we must default to nothing, and though the atheist likes this, there is no other choice.

[/ QUOTE ]

phewwwwwwwwwwwwf. Hopefully the 88-97% of America are more like you and less like those two crazy ass bitches.
Old 02-13-2007, 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am a christian with a serious faith, yet I believe that prayer has no place in school. If anything, there should be time set aside for children of all backgrounds to pray or play with bricks or read books or whatever they chose to do. I hope that nobody on this forum shares the opinions of the two women in that segment, particularly the white lady who said that "This is a christian nation". This is not a christian nation. The fact that we are a majority is irrelevant. Most of america does a lot of different things. School is school! I don't understand people who think that it is right for Christianity to be promoted in a PUBLIC school with children from many different backgrounds.

I see atheism as a religion, one based on the faith that there is no God. The existence or nonexistence of a creator can ultimately never be empirically proven, no matter what Dawkins or Falwel claim. Anything that we think about the divine and it's relationship to us is mere speculation. Therefore, in the realm of logic (the government and public spaces), there should be no precendent given to any religion over another. No crosses or menorahs or forced prayer or anything like that. The fact is that we must default to nothing, and though the atheist likes this, there is no other choice.

[/ QUOTE ]

I liked this post a lot.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How would the other kids know. It isn't like they get in front of the class and pray. What I'm picturing is a teacher who does this says "Alright class, it's time for our morning prayer. Anyone who doesn't wish to participate, please be silent out of respect for those who do. Now let us bow our heads in prayer. Bless us o Lord...." If you don't want to pray you just sit there and shut up, nobody knows that you aren't praying.

[/ QUOTE ]

Geez, why is this so hard for people? No government sanctioning of religion=no "prayer time" in school. Why does anyone feel there needs to be some kind of prayer time or anything similar? I mean, if you're super-religious, tell your kid to pray every spare second he has in school--that's his and your prerogative.

Also, atheism is not a religion based on the faith that there is no God--sick of this one, too. I don't have faith there isn't a God, I have a lack of belief in the existence of Him. There is a big difference. In the same vein, I don't "have faith" that there's not a magical invisible unicorn that poops skittles. I just don't believe in such a thing.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I liked this post a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

The first paragraph is excellent. The second one is pretty awful. Atheism is not a religion and it takes zero faith to not believe in something that makes no logical or scientific sense.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:47 PM

DKSR,

Ah if only science didn't require faith as well. It's the best rational tool we have, but...