[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Pete Carroll?

[/ QUOTE ]

god I hope so

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, seeing Pete come back to the NFL to someone else's team this time, especially such a huge contender, would be fantastic.

Careful what you wish for Chargers fans.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought he was a decent NFL coach.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 02-12-2007, 11:41 PM

Default Re: Marty Schottenheimer fired

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Pete Carroll?

[/ QUOTE ]

god I hope so

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, seeing Pete come back to the NFL to someone else's team this time, especially such a huge contender, would be fantastic.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have read a couple of times on this site he had a decent record as head coach and made it too the playoffs. I hope you could expand as to why my post is silly.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Pete Carroll?

[/ QUOTE ]

god I hope so

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have read a couple of times on this site he had a decent record as head coach and made it too the playoffs. I hope you could expand as to why my post is silly.

[/ QUOTE ]
sorry, was rude.

in NY he was given up on pretty quick after going 6-10. by a lot of accounts, though, his team quit on him and tuned him out.

he took over a very good Patriots team (coming of a SB appearance) and oversaw a 3 years slide, from division champ, to WC team, to one that missed the playoffs, and whose roster was a complete mess and needed to be torn apart.

so yeah his record was 33-31, but none of his 4 years was he really successfull
Old 02-12-2007, 11:51 PM

kbz,

Oh ok. Well as long as he is out of USC I will be a happy camper.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:53 PM

The chargers are pulling a rams here. They had a great coach who brought their worthless perennial loser franchise to one of the best in the NFL. Then they take two ridiculous playoff bad beats, first a missed fg by pro bowl kicker, then a dumb play, and that gives them "reason" to not extend their coach, who probably constantly opposed the stupid decisions they were trying to make. They refuse to tender him a long-term deal which leaves to his coaches leaving, then proceed to fire him because his coaches left. Now they will bring another guy in, who will be worse no matter who they hire unless they get Cowher and only Cowher, and nobody will blame them for the [censored] decision because Marty is like 3-12 or something in the playoffs, so he's a guy who "can't win the big game", even though the reason he has such a record is because he took a bunch of crap teams to the playoffs that no other coach would have brought there, along with taking some of the sickest beats in playoff history.
In other words it's exactly like Mike Martz, a guy that everybody thought sucked, but basically won the superbowl as the OC on a team that had O and no else, then went to another superbowl as the HC where they lost a close game. If he was still coaching now, he would have one of the best records among active coaches, he won like 65% of his games. Everybody talks about his "dumb calls" like surprise onside kicks, never running the ball, and then on the same board we talk about how most teams would do better if they passed more and tried surprise onside kicks. Now look at the rams. They are a meaningless franchise.
This decision is going to go the same way. Unless they have Cowher lined up, which I doubt, they will be worse next year - probably 8-8 at best. Part of that will be due to marty and part of that will be due to losing the coordinators, but it doesn't matter, because both were preventable. And Pete Carroll. Please. The rest of the AFC west is praying for that hire.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:01 AM

I don't get this at all, yes Marty has his faults. But there are not that many good NFL coaches floating around. I mean how many coaches in the world are going to be able to do a better job than Marty? Maybe 10? Pete Carroll, are you kidding me? This Chargers team is too damn good to let Pete destroy it.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:02 AM

I don't understand people saying they waited to long. Why? There are plenty of attractive candidates still out there. There always is. Whoever takes this job is walking into a tough spot not because of replacing Schottenheimer, but because his excellent assistants have already left. Hiring a new head coach doesn't change that. Given that Marty was always on the hot seat and had a short term contract this might help them attract coordinators.

Please hire a Ryan. Or Martz. At least someone with offensive philosophy not 30 years out of date.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:04 AM

And he needed some real bad officiating to be a wildcard in '98 [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Probably my last pro memory of him is losing to an injury plagued Jets team at home QB'd by Ray Lucas on MNF and thinking "wow he's a real bad coach".
Old 02-13-2007, 12:04 AM

Comparing Schottenheimer to Martz is an insult to Schottenheimer. Other than that, nice post. The Chargers handled all of this really poorly.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The chargers are pulling a rams here. They had a great coach who brought their worthless perennial loser franchise to one of the best in the NFL. Then they take two ridiculous playoff bad beats, first a missed fg by pro bowl kicker, then a dumb play, and that gives them "reason" to not extend their coach, who probably constantly opposed the stupid decisions they were trying to make. They refuse to tender him a long-term deal which leaves to his coaches leaving, then proceed to fire him because his coaches left. Now they will bring another guy in, who will be worse no matter who they hire unless they get Cowher and only Cowher, and nobody will blame them for the [censored] decision because Marty is like 3-12 or something in the playoffs, so he's a guy who "can't win the big game", even though the reason he has such a record is because he took a bunch of crap teams to the playoffs that no other coach would have brought there, along with taking some of the sickest beats in playoff history.
In other words it's exactly like Mike Martz, a guy that everybody thought sucked, but basically won the superbowl as the OC on a team that had O and no else, then went to another superbowl as the HC where they lost a close game. If he was still coaching now, he would have one of the best records among active coaches, he won like 65% of his games. Everybody talks about his "dumb calls" like surprise onside kicks, never running the ball, and then on the same board we talk about how most teams would do better if they passed more and tried surprise onside kicks. Now look at the rams. They are a meaningless franchise.
This decision is going to go the same way. Unless they have Cowher lined up, which I doubt, they will be worse next year - probably 8-8 at best. Part of that will be due to marty and part of that will be due to losing the coordinators, but it doesn't matter, because both were preventable. And Pete Carroll. Please. The rest of the AFC west is praying for that hire.

[/ QUOTE ]

8-8? god people are dumb.
Carroll, Cower, Parcells, even Dennis Green....this is a top 3-4 seed NFL team next year.