Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2007, 02:17 AM

Default Re: Neteller, the DOJ, and the IRS

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"the land of the freeeeeeeee ....." you guys should take that part out of your national anthem. Your totalitarian gov't has just [censored] you all over royally. When you strip away the 'democracy' label you'll find more things in common with a fascist gov't.

[/ QUOTE ]

When considering individuals and taxes, the US has one of the lowest (average) tax rates. Obviously, they rape corporations, but have somewhat favorable income tax rates (by comparison).

Source: OECD

[/ QUOTE ]

Well considering taxes, I don't mind paying extra tax in Canada to get free health care. IMO the reason I said that country isn't the land of the free, it's because of this gaming law, how it got put in, no freedom of speech anymore, no need for search warrants, no need for court approval for wiretaps, Corrections Corporation of American (CCA) a publically traded company which makes billions off the misery of all those millions of people in jails for ridiculous amounts of time for such minor crimes as well as many other things. It's not the land of the free and hasn't been for awhile now ...
Old 02-09-2007, 02:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Here's the issue I have with it. Okay, granted, the IRS is unlikely to criminally prosecute everyone they find, let alone a bunch of poker players who made between say $1k/10k unreported. So they send those letter audits. Here's the dilemma as I see it for the poker player: still, why pay (if you haven't already, obviously; I'm talking more about past returns than going forward, specifically if you didn't pay for say 1 year, not a pattern of abuse).

If you get caught with a letter audit, you owe the back taxes plus interest plus penalties. Is this any different from what you'd pay if you amended and paid late? If so, they don't do a very good job incentivizing one to voluntarily pay late. They should either provide more lenient treatment to voluntary amenders, harsher penalties to those they catch in letter audits, or a respectable number of prosecutions of small-timers. The last is undesirable both for the direct economic gain (costs way more than its worth unless the deterrent effect is quite strong) and is may have some public backlash. This make sense?

[/ QUOTE ]

yep. exactly.
Old 02-09-2007, 02:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is this it Leader?

Cliff's notes: Benford's Law
Benford's law, also called the first-digit law, states that in lists of numbers from many real-life sources of data, the leading digit is 1 almost one third of the time, and larger numbers occur as the leading digit with less and less frequency as they grow in magnitude, to the point that 9 is the first digit less than one time in twenty.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes
Old 02-09-2007, 02:38 AM

it'd be nice if i could get my 33k out of neteller so i could pay my taxes
Old 02-09-2007, 02:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is this it Leader?

Benford's law, also called the first-digit law, states that in lists of numbers from many real-life sources of data, the leading digit is 1 almost one third of the time, and larger numbers occur as the leading digit with less and less frequency as they grow in magnitude, to the point that 9 is the first digit less than one time in twenty.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes

[/ QUOTE ]

Which shows that a RNG would in fact be a very bad idea.
Old 02-09-2007, 02:51 AM

as long as you don't make any withdrawl's of over 10,000 at a time, you a clear of paying taxes.
Old 02-09-2007, 02:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is this it Leader?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes

[/ QUOTE ]

Which shows that a RNG would in fact be a very bad idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes and IIRC it doesn't take a very large number of data values, if your just picking random numbers, for it to be pretty obvious (statistically) that the numbers aren't genuine. In addition, if you produce a fake log, it's doubtless possible to look at the distribution of the losses around the mean. If it's a uniform distribution or something pretty chaotic rather then a bell curve, it'll be pretty obvious it's made up. And these are just the couple of things I came up with in a very limited amount of time. The IRS has people that spend there lives trying to figure these relationships out.
Old 02-09-2007, 02:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The IRS has people that spend there lives trying to figure these relationships out.

[/ QUOTE ]

What a pathetic life that must be. About the only thing to be said against this is that they may or not may put in what appears to take some real effort against any specific individual. If you're a big baller, look out. If not, I don't know how well staffed or automated these processes are. I'd guess not that well, but I wouldn't want to chance it. Fraud seems like a great way to move from civil penalties to criminal charges.
Old 02-09-2007, 03:17 AM

ok so if i filed for 2005 now do i just pay what i would be owed then and wait for them to add interest?
Most of the money I made last year is still in neteller- how the can can I be expected to pay taxes on that now when I havent seen it yet?
Old 02-09-2007, 03:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]

ok so if i filed for 2005 now do i just pay what i wouldbeowed then and wait for them to add interest?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are going to amend or file late you should definitely work with a CPA. He will probably tell you to send them a check for what you think you owe.