Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2007, 02:11 AM

Default Re: Brag or Beat: Just bought a 2007 Yaris

Nothing, they just thought that hatchback had a negative connotation associated with it.
Old 02-03-2007, 02:16 AM

All,

You are being complete [censored] to the OP. Okay, he made a decision you don't believe was the right one. So, tell him why you think he could have made a better decision, so as to learn from that in the future. Berating him and acting superior is not going to help anyone.

Yes, anyone posting here can expect some flames, but have a bit of compassion and RESPECT (yes, respect) for a high schooler.

p.s. OP, are you a gimmick account?
Old 02-03-2007, 02:20 AM

Gimmick for what? Toyota?
Old 02-03-2007, 02:22 AM

wow what how can you look at that car and think "yea this is awesome im gonna be driving this thing for the next few years"
Old 02-03-2007, 02:23 AM

this is a definite beat.

"investing" in a car is... a beat.
Old 02-03-2007, 02:23 AM

Okay, I don't want to belabor this too much, but for a car that is worth 12K, your payments on a 5 year loan should be $233, and thats with NO down payment. So $275 with a 1.2K down payment is still pretty bad.

Where did I come up with the $233? I went here: link

and entered a loan term of 5 years and an interest rate of 6.25, which is about the current rate for auto loans.

So if you had gotten a loan from a bank such as Capital One, they would have essentially given the car dealer 12K in cash in exchange for you paying them $233 a month for a total of $14,034.

All the dealer fees and other crap is BS. The dealer probably bought the car for significantly less that 12K, so they would be happy to get 12K cash from a bank. But suckering people into signing up for crappy financing deals is how dealerships make their money.

Now to be fair, 6.25% is probably a lower interest rate than you would be able to get as an 18 year old. Thats what you parents would have gotten if they'd signed the loan. But even if you assume an interst rate of 9%, which is pretty high, your monthly payments would only be 249, a\nd again with NO DOWN PAYMENT.
Old 02-03-2007, 02:26 AM

Remember I did buy gap insurance. And Yves,I really like the way this car looks, I don't see how anyone couldn't.
Old 02-03-2007, 02:28 AM

FakePT,

Don't sweat it -- enjoy your first new car. You should also be proud to pay for it on your own, but next time you should be more fiscally responsible. Cars are huge moneysinks, and putting yourself under liability that young can be a lot of pressure.

But in the end, don't have buyer's remorse. It's one of the worst feelings ever. New car is a new car. I wouldn't say it's stylish, but it's economic as hell, it gets you from point A to point B, and it probably won't break down on you. Don't take the razzing too hard from these guys hahahha
Old 02-03-2007, 02:29 AM

Wow! Everyone should stop being so negative - the Yaris has FANTASTIC gas mileage (a major plus for a college student), it has very trendy european styling inside (the speedometer etc are in the center, if i remember correctly from test driving), and it has sweet cupholders. Also, it looks really cute if you put ears and a tail on it - just like a mouse!

although honestly, I got to choose between a 2007 Yaris and a 2007 Scion TC + upgrades, and I found that the basic package alone with the TC hosted more then the Yaris. My parents also nixed the Yaris b/c it didn't seem like it would hold up in a crash since it's so little.

OP, I liked the car when I test drove it, and it's really comfy to sit in - I say good purchase [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-03-2007, 02:31 AM

Lol, I am glad I got it but wish I would've paid more attention to where all the charges were coming from. And why all the hate on subcompact cars? Aren't some of you from Europe?, this thing is like the best-selling car over there.