Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2007, 10:14 PM

Default Re: Favre will play in \'07

[ QUOTE ]
People always get on athletes these days for playing for only the money, having a bad attitude, etc. Favre is obviously only playing for the love of the game. He has nothing else to prove. And if you think he plays because its all about him watch that interview after the Bears game. The guy loves the game. He can't help that ESPN runs his story front and center every day. The only people he owes is his family and his teammates. And from all reports the team loves him. I don't see how you can not like Favre.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, as a Bear fan, let me list the ways we can't like Favre:

1) silly statements like the "playing for the love"--I've heard that many times. While I'm sure he loves the game, the chasing of the records, adulation from fans/media & the $10MM per year salary plus endorsements don't hurt. I've also heard people say "he'd play for free". Ridiculous

2) He's kicked the Bears A**es since '93. While the Packers have consistently won.

That said, he's still pretty good (great in his prime). I have no problem with him mentioning his return now. He loves the drama of it all, carried it WAY too far last year until April or whenever. Now we don't have to hear about it any longer.

And how much more do we really want to hear about Superbowl pre-game? Can Archie Manning be interviewed one more time?

Bring on the game!
Old 02-02-2007, 10:27 PM

Brett Favre has no reason to break any more records. He's already a first ballot Hall of Famer when he becomes eligible and has done everything a QB wants to do before their career is over.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:48 PM

I guess the script for "Something About Mary 2" wasn't up to par.
Old 02-02-2007, 11:04 PM

Overrated?

I'm not even a Packer or Favre fan, but I can't see how anyone who knows anything about the NFL could make that statment.
Super Bowl... check!
League MVP... check!
Nearly every major passing record in NFL history... well, almost and likely a check by the end of this season.
NFL Hall of Fame... a shoe-in.
And lets not forget "the streak".

Love him. Hate him. I don't care. The above is undisputed and automatically debunks any claims of Favre being overrated.
Old 02-02-2007, 11:31 PM

Why can't a player come back because he loves the game and is having fun playing while he is still able? They have a young and upcoming team and in the NFC everyone has a shot. They had little in the form of playmakers to help him out and after Jennings got hurt they were left with Ruvell Martin and Carlyle Holliday at WR behind Driver. I think they need help at WR, RB, and TE to help Favre out. The O-line and defense came together towards the end of the year. To say he's overrated when he's going to break all the passing records and all time wins for a QB next year is silly.