Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2007, 07:08 AM

Default Re: hell

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You should at the very least always have the option to switch yourself off or decide to step aside from existence for long sums of time. What's to say you wouldn't find the interest and motivation to continue in 10,000 years?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point, and I have, and hopefully will, and have posted on this subject before.

But 10,000 years of internet? Bleah! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ORLY? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

Much as it pains me to say, I really do think everything's been said and done.

You have to figure that suicide rates among immortals would be far higher than deaths by accident or murder.

A post-mortal future with jaded coroners who write "boredom" as the cause of death.

<shakes head> It's not quite that dark though, at least for me. I still get surprised occasionally. But those instances are becoming rarer.

It'd be somewhat a nod towards irony though, if you realize that in a Christian paradise, the very activities that stave off boredom would be the sins. Gluttony. Sex. Violence. People need drama. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 02-03-2007, 07:19 AM

Got it! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-03-2007, 07:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
All the more reason to choose non-existence...

[/ QUOTE ]
Madnak, can we get a Nietzschean analysis on this?
Old 02-03-2007, 07:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I suppose it is important for you to have a Nietzschean analysis. I wonder why, but my position has nothing to do with Nietzsche!
Old 02-03-2007, 08:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I suppose it is important for you to have a Nietzschean analysis. I wonder why, but my position has nothing to do with Nietzsche!

[/ QUOTE ]

It might seem a little ironic considering some of my recent posts, but I've probably related to Nietzsche more than anyone else other than Jesus. However, I do feel that when the question of, "choosing non-existence," comes up, it probably falls more into Nietzsche's cross-hairs than anyone else I can think of.
Old 02-03-2007, 12:20 PM

I don't know about Nietzsche, but to me eternal death would be ideal. An end to it all sounds very nice.

Nietzsche probably felt similarly, but he was also preoccupied with the idea of eternal recurrence. My interpretation is that Nietzsche wished he could embrace recurrence, but deep down he probably wanted an end to it all. I think he recognized an essential conflict there.
Old 02-03-2007, 12:53 PM

hell is for children
Old 02-03-2007, 01:18 PM

Like before, the "eternal destruction" of 2 Thessalonians 1:9 simply means a death (oblivion, non-existence) that lasts forever. Moving on, the use of Greek phraseology translated "eternal fire" occurs in three of your citations:

"If your hand or your foot causes you to stumble, cut it off and throw it from you; it is better for you to enter life crippled or lame, than to have two hands or two feet and be cast into the eternal fire." (Matthew 18:8)

"Then He will also say to those on His left, Depart from Me, accursed ones, into the eternal fire which has been prepared for the devil and his angels" (Matthew 25:41)

"Just as Sodom and Gomorrah and the cities around them, since they in the same way as these indulged in gross immorality and went after strange flesh, are exhibited as an example in undergoing the punishment of eternal fire." (Jude 1:7)

The first week of Hermeneutics 101 will tell us that before we settle on an interpretation, it has to be consistent with all applications. Now, since we know Sodom and Gomorrah are not still burning, the Greek translated as "eternal fire" cannot mean that literally. The use of "aionion" here does not imply a combustion process that is of endless duration, but rather one of complete and permanent effect.

"If your hand causes you to stumble, cut it off; it is better for you to enter life crippled, than, having your two hands, to go into hell, into the unquenchable fire" (Mark 9:43)

In Mark 9:43, "Ghehennah" (translated "hell") was the name of the valley outside Jerusalem where garbage, dead animals and certain human bodies were incinerated, while "asbestos" (translated "unquenchable") refers to the "not extinguished" process whereby combustion goes to completion. In other words, the fate of sinners is to be cast into the city dump and burned with the garbage, not an eternity on a Weber with the hot dogs in some fantastical underworld.
Old 02-03-2007, 04:30 PM

With all these possible interpretations why would God make it so difficult for us to know exactly what to believe? I thought he wanted to help us, not confuse us. How is someone living in 2007 supposed to know God's intent with the bible if we can't even be sure we are reading the correct translation.

It seems many christians have differing viewpoints of what they believe, and it then comes down to a personal choice. I guess there probably isn't any way to know the right answers, and it's all subjective.

I am assuming that you guys are saying the scientist who cured HIV, but wasn't sure about God would be thrown into the lake of fire, even if it may turn out to be a reduced sentence? I haven't recieved a straight answer on this yet.
Old 02-03-2007, 04:36 PM

"In Mark 9:43, "Ghehennah" (translated "hell") was the name of the valley outside Jerusalem where garbage, dead animals and certain human bodies were incinerated, while "asbestos" (translated "unquenchable") refers to the "not extinguished" process whereby combustion goes to completion. In other words, the fate of sinners is to be cast into the city dump and burned with the garbage, not an eternity on a Weber with the hot dogs in some fantastical underworld."

Skidoo, do you even believe in an afterlife then, or are yous simply saying non-believers, upon death, simply cease to exist? While believers still go to heaven? This sounds better, but still doesn't seem fair that a non-believer would not be given a 2nd chance while believers recieve eternal bliss.

If you are saying the bible's translation of hell is wrong, then what about the translation of heaven? What about the translation of the Rapture, which seems to be a very brutal event?