Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Software
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2007, 07:43 PM

Default Re: What is Poker Tracker Missing? / What new software is needed.

[ QUOTE ]
The big sites (PokerStars, Party) are none too happy with centralized databases - see PokerEdge.[ QUOTE ]

What reasons have you heard that they don't want this?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As I said, see PokerEdge.

Search in the Internet Gambling forum (and maybe here) somewhere around 18 months? ago for the full scoop.

Basically PokerEdge set up an online PT+PA-HUD like service, for a monthly fee. Their software collected hand histories from all users, and uploaded to the central database. Subscribers therefore had very accurate stats, drawn from the massive database.

PokerEdge was deemed an "unfair advantage" (knowledge of hands you had no part of, and in the case of Party knowledge of hands you hadn't even observed yourself) and banned by bothParty and Stars. To this day the presence of PokerEdge software or their website's cookies on your comp is enough to trigger "Illegal Software" pop-ups and account flagging at these sites.

Was quite a popular (and immensely powerful) fish-finder at it's peak... kinda like Sixth-Sense / SpadeEye are today but with the colume of data collected there was almost no-one they had no stats available for.

dave.
Old 01-25-2007, 07:48 PM

As you said it was very powerful/popular
Old 01-25-2007, 08:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As you said it was very powerful/popular

[/ QUOTE ]

But it was also new / never seen before.

Since then , such clauses have been added to the sites TOC, for example from PokerStars Prohibited Software

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q. In general, what kinds of programs are prohibited?
#
A.
1. Any program that shares hole card data with other players or programs is colluding, and is prohibited.
2. Any program that works off of a central database of player profiles is prohibited.
3. Any program that plays without human intervention (a "bot") or reduces the requirement of a human playing. For instance, an "auto-folder" is prohibited.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

And if you are not going to use the central database for such profiling, why have it?

Keep the database local and individual, you won't run in to problems and even if your software has only a single useful feature (like 3bet/4bet info) you will get plenty customers.

But research, develop, launch, get buyers, get banned, refund (or run off with the $$$) and it's all over [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Why risk it when you could create a valuable product? People who want huge DBs will create them on their own, you don't need to risk getting your software outlawed by doing it for them.

Whatever you choose to do I'm looking forward to seeing it,

dave.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:09 PM

I agree with your points. I just don't agree with local databases. I guess I can make it so only hands you watched or were in you would be able to see from the server. Its just stupid to have a local database. There are many reasons but a few goods ones are.
1. Most people that play poker won't know how to take care of a DB.
2. If your machine dies or you delete your DB you just lost all of youer stats.

I agree that getting the software banned is last thing that I want. So again thank you for your post and I will make sure to make it so it is only the hands you played that you will get to see in the application.
Old 01-26-2007, 02:37 AM

I, for one, would not want to have to connect online just to retrieve stats. Not that I'm not online 100% of the time, but it could be slow if either my internet connection is messed up, or the servers are down. Plus, I like to keep a copy of my database on my computer. It's true that many people don't know how to deal with databases, but #2 can be handled easily by just making it easy to backup databases.

Another suggestion I have is to make it more user friendly. Here are a few things that really bug me in PT that could easily be fixed:
1) Creating a new Postgres database requires me to create a new Access DB, then convert it, then rename it to what I want it to be renamed as. Actually, PT doesn't even allow me to name it what I would like to name it (I hate all caps), so I first go to pgAdmin, rename the DB, then re-add in PT. This is a HUGE pain in the ass.
2) Filtering is annoying how I have to switch tabs, change filters, go back to the original tab. I like to play with filters a lot to see different results, but it requires way too many clicks. Many of us have 1600x1200 monitors, both the general tab and the filters could all fit on the screen.
3) The whole idea of opening/closing databases. WTF? There should just be a list of databases and when I want to view a window for one of them, PT should know to open that database and close it when I'm done.

Like many people have said, it'd be really nice to just have one app to keep track of all poker-related stuff. If the app could also allow one to manually enter in bonuses, rakeback, B&M sessions, etc, that would be really nice.

I would like a decent graphing utility built in.

One thing that I would really, really like to see, would be the ability to put in filters for imported hands. For example, I datamine a large batch of hands, but I keep different databases for 1/2, 2/4, 3/6. It would be nice to be able to set some filters so that I can import all of the hands at once, and it would move them into the right databases. Also, like right now, when I have datamined hands, I only want hands with a certain number of players in them (ie. 5-6 players for 6-max). Right now, I just use an app I wrote to remove the hands with <4 players in them, but if your program could do that while importing, that'd be nice. Filters for stakes/players/dates would be great.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:53 PM

Just adding my $.02 but I don't like the idea of a centralized DB for the same reason someone mentioned earlier. I'm not accusing you of this or saying you would, but one never knows in the long run what someone will do with such knowledge. Hand histories could be getting sold, or even the owner use the information on hands they didn't even observe themselves.

Not sure if I was clear. Let me know.

Ciao
Old 01-27-2007, 06:54 AM

My wishlist:

A. Graph function like Pokerpatterns!! Maybe add an option to show it in relation to VPIP to identify hot/cold streaks

B. Game Notes feature needs improvement. Looks bad, counterintuitive etc. It should be easier to identify hands that were checkraised on the flop or the turn for instance. I simply want to know which hands my opponents like to CR the flop with or which ones he raises the turn without having to click through every single hand

C. Misc. Stats is a bit too superficial also. Top pair deserves it's own column and there should be an option to exclude paired boards (shouldn't count for two pair either)

D. Poker Manager has some nice ideas that could be inspiring (pattern finder etc.)

E. There should be an option to make a profile of pre-flop ranges (similar to Pokerstove) for each position. That should make it easier to find profitable hands and scratch the bad ones from the repertoire

F. There should be a search function for specific flops like 3 flush, 3 straight, 2 flush, paired board and the same for the turn

G. Overall PT should get rid of this windows 98 Excel sheet appearance and introduce way more windows and graphical features

(H. In case anyone plays chess, check out Chessbase for more ideas for cool features)
Old 01-27-2007, 06:36 PM

built in pokergrapher that supports multiple databases
Old 01-27-2007, 09:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, I don't think PT can do this, but it would be nice if you could make notes on a player in PT, and then export those notes to you poker client.

[/ QUOTE ]

this would be realyl cool
Old 01-27-2007, 10:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My wishlist:

A. Graph function like Pokerpatterns!! Maybe add an option to show it in relation to VPIP to identify hot/cold streaks

B. Game Notes feature needs improvement. Looks bad, counterintuitive etc. It should be easier to identify hands that were checkraised on the flop or the turn for instance. I simply want to know which hands my opponents like to CR the flop with or which ones he raises the turn without having to click through every single hand

C. Misc. Stats is a bit too superficial also. Top pair deserves it's own column and there should be an option to exclude paired boards (shouldn't count for two pair either)

D. Poker Manager has some nice ideas that could be inspiring (pattern finder etc.)

E. There should be an option to make a profile of pre-flop ranges (similar to Pokerstove) for each position. That should make it easier to find profitable hands and scratch the bad ones from the repertoire

F. There should be a search function for specific flops like 3 flush, 3 straight, 2 flush, paired board and the same for the turn

G. Overall PT should get rid of this windows 98 Excel sheet appearance and introduce way more windows and graphical features

(H. In case anyone plays chess, check out Chessbase for more ideas for cool features)

[/ QUOTE ]

F. I assume you are meaning that you want to be able to search any hands where the flop had 3 cards to a straight. Example 3h4c5sKh?