Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2007, 10:35 PM

Default Re: Bacon in the oven

El Diablo -

Please use a wire rack instead. Something like this would be fine. Trust me, it will make a difference in the quality. A broiler pan will not allow the grease to drip off as well. Also, you can use racks like these for many other worthwhile purposes (indoor "grill" marks, etc), and they are inexpensive.

I use a wire rack on top of an oversized baker's cookie sheet.

To those of you who don't want to wait 4 hours for bacon -

Why would you wait? Just set this up, then make yourself some skillet or microwaved bacon in the meantime to satisfy the immediate craving. No need to wait. Then go do something else for 4 or 5 hours, and when you come back, bacon from the heavens.
Old 01-21-2007, 10:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I share your skepticism.

[/ QUOTE ]

El Diablo,

Please examine your PMs and report back.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:21 AM

All,

chopstick has provided me w/ a super-secret oven bacon picture. I am definitely excited about trying out this fat dripping wire rack technique!
Old 01-22-2007, 03:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
All,

chopstick has provided me w/ a super-secret oven bacon picture. I am definitely excited about trying out this fat dripping wire rack technique!

[/ QUOTE ]

Please report back ASAP.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
NO FAIR!

[ QUOTE ]
I would post a photo, but it would break the "no horizontal scrolling" rule, and I can't bring myself to resize it smaller. Also, you would all need to buy new keyboards after ruining yours with drool. Then you'd probably take the image and use it as a background on your friends' machines, causing their heads to explode when they turn on their computers.

[/ QUOTE ]
Chopstick, I totally understand you being protective of your pic's size and stature. Could you host it and link to its full glory?
-Sam
Old 01-22-2007, 05:06 AM

I mentioned this in the original bacon thread and got no love, so here it goes again for the benefit of the bacon afficionado:

My favorite way to prepare bacon is to first marinate it in the juice from a jar of pepperoncini. Variations on this theme include adding cracked black pepper, garlic, wine, herbs, cayenne, lemon zest, etc. You can fool with it to get it to a desired balance of sharpness and salinity, but the straight juice works well too.

Just stuff the bacon in the jar. Let it sit a day or two and bake away.

For those who don't favor the eye-talian flavorings, bacon marinated in soy or char siu is also highly impressive. Soy marinated bacon wrapped around a scallop or water chestnut is a widely enjoyed appetizer.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I would post a photo, but it would break the "no horizontal scrolling" rule, and I can't bring myself to resize it smaller. Also, you would all need to buy new keyboards after ruining yours with drool. Then you'd probably take the image and use it as a background on your friends' machines, causing their heads to explode when they turn on their computers.

[/ QUOTE ]
Chopstick, I totally understand you being protective of your pic's size and stature. Could you host it and link to its full glory?
-Sam

[/ QUOTE ]

Sam -

I'm sorry, it's just not safe.

yours,

chopstick