Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2007, 11:24 AM

Default Re: Steelers name new coach

Couple things :

1)While Tomlin still might very well get the job, I'm not believing the reports. The Post Gazette has yet to report anything from sources, and their beat writer for the Steelers (Ed Bouchette) has been in that role for something like 20 years. He's usually the first to know info, and when he puts it out, you know it's good. He's still reporting that nothing has been decided yet from an updated statement at about 10AM.

2)I still think the Rivera thing is big. They have to wait at least until the games are over today to see if they can talk to Rivera again. Making a decision now before the games makes zero sense, because Tomlin & Grimm aren't going anywhere.

3)This isn't a knock on you BBB, but I wonder how many black friends you have? Most of my friends are black and there's not a night we go out in the city that someone doesn't throw around the N word to them. I knew/know a lot of football & basketball players and they'll all say the same thing. Pittsburgh is racist as hell, you just must not see it. It's not KKK type stuff, it's just white trash thinking they're better than someone black and needing to insult them for no reason at all.

Tomlin will be gone within 3 years, either the Rooney's booting him because of pressure or Tomlin leaving because he doesn't want to deal with it anymore.

I don't know about Tomlin's family, but God only hopes that he doesn't have kids.
Old 01-21-2007, 12:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Couple things :

1)While Tomlin still might very well get the job, I'm not believing the reports. The Post Gazette has yet to report anything from sources, and their beat writer for the Steelers (Ed Bouchette) has been in that role for something like 20 years. He's usually the first to know info, and when he puts it out, you know it's good. He's still reporting that nothing has been decided yet from an updated statement at about 10AM.

2)I still think the Rivera thing is big. They have to wait at least until the games are over today to see if they can talk to Rivera again. Making a decision now before the games makes zero sense, because Tomlin & Grimm aren't going anywhere.

3)This isn't a knock on you BBB, but I wonder how many black friends you have? Most of my friends are black and there's not a night we go out in the city that someone doesn't throw around the N word to them. I knew/know a lot of football & basketball players and they'll all say the same thing. Pittsburgh is racist as hell, you just must not see it. It's not KKK type stuff, it's just white trash thinking they're better than someone black and needing to insult them for no reason at all.

Tomlin will be gone within 3 years, either the Rooney's booting him because of pressure or Tomlin leaving because he doesn't want to deal with it anymore.

I don't know about Tomlin's family, but God only hopes that he doesn't have kids.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if he has the job either. It would be a pretty epic screwup if two big name sportswriters like Silver and Mortenson put the wrong story in the national media. I am posting from the perspective that he does have the job because he was the guy I really wanted out of the 3 finalists, and I find it hard to believe that the national media would screw things up this bad.

I don't live in Pittsburgh anymore and didn't really go out the last few years that I did, but I don't think we really disagree on how the people are. I just think insults from rednecks will not be enough drive Tomlin out of town (if he does end up being the coach), and it won't escalate past that. I think it will be similar in degree to the treatment Kordell received if he is not winning and less than that if he is.
Old 01-21-2007, 12:48 PM

Default Statement from Steelers Spokesperson Dave Lockett

[ QUOTE ]

At this point and time, the Steelers have not concluded a contract agreement with a new head coach, nor do we expect to do so today. There will be no other announcements from this office today.

Enjoy Championship Sunday!

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it is really silly if they are trying to use Grimm or Tomlin to negotiate the other's costs down. Get the guy you want and pay him.
Old 01-21-2007, 02:10 PM

Default Re: Statement from Steelers Spokesperson Dave Lockett

As an aside, why is racism a factor with head coaches (and perhaps QBs) but not with other players? The vast majority of the players are black, but no one is yelling the N word at them.
Old 01-21-2007, 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
im really surprised they hired a black dude. ive been to pitt a bunch of times and have never seen anyone black there. its not like cleveland or detroit. its all white trash. they are gonna run this guy out of town fast.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 01-21-2007, 02:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anybody have any idea what they ask in these interviews? How can you tell from an interview who is going to be a successful NFL coach?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a good question. Greg Williams is great at interviewing.
Old 01-21-2007, 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anybody have any idea what they ask in these interviews? How can you tell from an interview who is going to be a successful NFL coach?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure it depends on the team, but one thing they discuss is the coach's long-term plan for the team.

(Story time). When Andy Reid was hired by Philadelphia, he was an unknown. But Jeffrey Lurie (Eagles owner) described him as a man with a plan. Reid had a plan for personnel, a plan for managing the cap, a plan for building through the draft, etc. Reid had these huge notebooks detailing his plan for re-building the Eagles. Find a franchise QB, stockpile draft picks and build through the draft, re-sign young players early, don't overspend in free agency, etc. The system that has turned the Eagles into a perennial contender after being doormats.

Lurie was blown away by how detailed Reid's plan was. In particular, he mentioned that Reid had a section in his plan called "long snapper" explaining why it was very important to have a good long snapper on the team.

Even though Reid had no head coaching experience, he impressed Lurie so much during the interview that he got the job.
Old 01-21-2007, 04:04 PM

Default Re: Statement from Steelers Spokesperson Dave Lockett

[ QUOTE ]
The vast majority of the players are black, but no one is yelling the N word at them.

[/ QUOTE ]

umm...this is certainly not true for fans dealing with opposing players. Yeah, your running back in a n*** but ours is okay. Yep, that makes sense to us.

James
Old 01-21-2007, 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
New Coach
Really thought it would be Russ Grimm. Wow.

[/ QUOTE ]

If this turns out to be true, big win for AZ Cardinals. Whisenhut will be able to poach whoever they want from that staff...
Old 01-24-2007, 12:02 AM

It looks like Whiz takes Grimm and Whipple, and Tomlin keeps Lebeau and Arians. I think it is debateable whether Arians or Whipple was more highly regarded, but Arians was said to be the front runner for Steelers OC if Grimm or Whiz got the job.