Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2007, 12:50 PM

Default Re: Comments on Negreanu\'s recent blog?

[ QUOTE ]
rushmore-

glad to see u posting more again. and fwiw, i pretty much agree with everything you've said in this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for noticing, and thanks for agreeing.

Just plain thanks.

P.S. The reason I have been posting again is because my life is empty. I have no personal relationship with God, and I am on poker hiatus.

Talk about your cold, dark world.

P.P.S. My poker hiatus is due to family health issues and general poker attrition, not bustosity, by the way.
Old 01-20-2007, 12:53 PM

God, plz reach out to Rushmore with your guiding hand kthxbye.
Old 01-20-2007, 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Thanks for noticing

[/ QUOTE ]

well, u write and argue your points extremely well every time u post.
its rare that i wonder where a poster went and wished that he still posted, but i was thinking that several months ago.

in regards to the rest of your life, im pretty sure that by simply posting on 2p2 on a daily basis, all of your problems will be solved. yeah, im almost certain of that, actually.

quick edit: do u still live in tampa? im moving to the ft myers area in a month or so. im thinking i will hate it.
Old 01-20-2007, 01:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, we shouldn't talk about or do anything good because when we inevitably do something bad we will come across like a hypocrite.

Better to act like an selfish ass all the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who said anything about not "talking about or doing anything good?"

I thought we were talking about not being a part of the Hypocritical God Crusade.

There's another guy in this thread who seems to believe that a person can never have "good intentions" unless he believes in God.

You realize, of course, that this is actually crazy talk. One could make a simple argument (in another forum, I'm sure) that anyone who really believed this (or believed that I implied or inferred that people should "never talk about or do anything good") is certifiably insane.

If I told you that I cannot do something because my unicorn wouldn't approve, you'd think I was crazy, right?

That would be because you don't believe in my unicorn, because you have never seen any evidence to substantiate His existence.
Old 01-20-2007, 01:39 PM

So where do you think these good intentions come from? That's the part I don't understand. If people are no different than animals and there is no eternal life, than what's the point of being "good" other than for self-fulfillment. If that's the case, then any insight into why being "good" is fulfilling, because again, there's nothing in us that should make us favor doing good deeds over bad. In fact, survival and reproduction, the only thing an animal cares about, often go against being "good."
Old 01-20-2007, 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The key thing that you couldn't understand unless you've felt it, is that when you make God the center of your life you WANT to do good things. You WANT to be a better person and you WANT to avoid sin.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I'm lucky because I don't believe in god or jesus and I want to do good things and I'm always trying to become a better person. I also want to avoid mistakes as frequently as possible.

Serious question: were you an absolute wreck before you found god?
Old 01-20-2007, 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So where do you think these good intentions come from? That's the part I don't understand. If people are no different than animals and there is no eternal life, than what's the point of being "good" other than for self-fulfillment. If that's the case, then any insight into why being "good" is fulfilling, because again, there's nothing in us that should make us favor doing good deeds over bad. In fact, survival and reproduction, the only thing an animal cares about, often go against being "good."

[/ QUOTE ]

if you cant already think of a potential answer to your own question, then i dont think someone explaining it to you will help.
Old 01-20-2007, 01:58 PM

the above are points which should be made much more frequently. i won't add because they about cover anything i would have to say. please, someone export this to the "science, philosophy, etc" forum. no one seems to be able to live w/ a position based on a person's practical reasoning there--i've tried, my head is too sore to try again...................b
Old 01-20-2007, 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

if you cant already think of a potential answer to your own question, then i dont think someone explaining it to you will help.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think it would.
Old 01-20-2007, 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Some folks have the ability to consider their "integrity" and "character" outside of the context of punishment and reward.