Default Re: OOT - Find me a Career

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
think tank

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting. I wonder if there are any outside of DC... I'll look into this one. I think I'd be a good fit since I'm very ideologically narrow minded and outspoken about what I believe.

[/ QUOTE ]

BTW, this is actually what I was looking for. Yes, I have some ideas for what I could do, but I figured OOT might come up with something that I hadn't thought of. Thanks for this one.

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF. Dude, if you just graduated things like Brookings or the Hoover Institute or anything vaguely academic should have been obvious.

[/ QUOTE ]

What can I say... I completely overlooked think tanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

When planning a vacation, at what stage do you buy your plane tickets. Before the ride to the airport?
Old 01-18-2007, 07:40 PM

I have a hard time believing one just sails into a think tank straight out of undergrad without having a kickass application. It must be competitive.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
think tank

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting. I wonder if there are any outside of DC... I'll look into this one. I think I'd be a good fit since I'm very ideologically narrow minded and outspoken about what I believe.

[/ QUOTE ]

BTW, this is actually what I was looking for. Yes, I have some ideas for what I could do, but I figured OOT might come up with something that I hadn't thought of. Thanks for this one.

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF. Dude, if you just graduated things like Brookings or the Hoover Institute or anything vaguely academic should have been obvious.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 01-18-2007, 07:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a hard time believing one just sails into a think tank straight out of undergrad without having a kickass application. It must be competitive.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
think tank

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't presume that you (1) make much money or (2) do anything interesting.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:48 PM

No, but a lot of govt jobs are about power and being close to it rather than pay. Being a campaign or congressional aide is probably a sucky lifestyle, but you're a plugged in wonk, which is a step on the way to political life.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No, but a lot of govt jobs are about power and being close to it rather than pay. Being a campaign or congressional aide is probably a sucky lifestyle, but you're a plugged in wonk, which is a step on the way to political life.

[/ QUOTE ]

Think tanks are not part of the government.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:53 PM

Yes, but they draw from the government, and supply people to the government. Lobbying firms are another ancillary industry.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, but they draw from the government, and supply people to the government. Lobbying firms are another ancillary industry.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know some people who work for thinktanks. There are jobs that are pretty far down the ladder of power.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:32 PM

Actually just got a call from a financial services company (a big one) asking em to come meet with them about a job. Never even applied with them. That's where just putting out feelers with the big name Unviersity on my resume pays off.

Guess we'll see where this leads. Gotta admit, it'd pretty cool to just get a call out of nowhere from a large corporation that wants to meet with me.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Actually just got a call from a financial services company (a big one) asking em to come meet with them about a job. Never even applied with them. That's where just putting out feelers with the big name Unviersity on my resume pays off.

Guess we'll see where this leads. Gotta admit, it'd pretty cool to just get a call out of nowhere from a large corporation that wants to meet with me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure whatever they want won't be a heavily commission based inside sales job.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually got a call, and a contract job from one of the bigger networking related companies in the country, and i hadnt even graduated from my state school yet.