Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2007, 11:23 AM

Default Re: Anyone travel a long distance in the States by car?

Anyone make the trip from the Northeast down to Florida via 95?

I'm planning on making the trip from NJ sometime in late spring. Mapquest says 17 hours for about 1100 miles.
Old 01-16-2007, 11:30 AM

I think the 40 to 5 route is probably best, but it's still not entirely roses and snuggly bunnies. The Siskyous on the border between OR and CA can be a little hairy this time of year. They're still much better than what Colorado and Idaho will throw at you, though. When I was a little kid, my family would drive that route two out of every three winters to visit relatives for Christmas (one Chirstmas w/ grandparents, one w/ aunt and uncle, one w/ us). We've gotten stuck there a few times when they've just shut down I-5 due to bad weather.
Old 01-16-2007, 11:56 AM

I have driven from vir to seattle, then seattle to ky, three times. I will say the stretch from portland to north of seattle, do that late at night if possible. The area through portland, and then from tacoma to north of seattle sucks at any point with people awake in those areas, be prepared to do about 20 miles a hr the entire time. I had to take the drive once a week for about 6 months straight when I was stationed up there and our ship was in drydock in portland. Its a beautiful drive through the moutains from cali to or, but never went on it this time of year so couldn't tell u about the weather. Books on tape, comedy CD's, or XM radio helps, long hours of just music and no talking can get old very fast. I would stop every 250 to 300 miles even if I didn't need to just to get out of the car. I was driving by myself a few of these trips, and still managed to do right around 700 miles a day and had no problems. Having two drivers helps though to do more. Hope this helps.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:37 AM

I-80 through Wyoming is rotten anytime, but worse in the winter. Watch for black ice and 350 MPH wind. The Utah stretch is fine unless it is really bad weather. The part just past the Utah border into Idaho for maybe 60 miles can be dangerous. All kinds of huge pile ups and fatalities and such in bad weather. After that it gets easier I think. In Oregon you have to drive slower and can't pump your own gas. How's that for optimism. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

The part of the drive I have done the most is from Idaho to Denver. Have never gone all the way to Canada. As you know the plains east of Denver can be bad in a storm, but do be careful through Wyoming and the bad stretch in ID. I have driven it in the winter and fortunately never ran into a closed interstate, but have had a scary moment or two.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone make the trip from the Northeast down to Florida via 95?

I'm planning on making the trip from NJ sometime in late spring. Mapquest says 17 hours for about 1100 miles.

[/ QUOTE ]

I drove the opposite way last year, from Atlanta to NJ, and I'm driving back in a few weeks. It's a pretty easy drive. I recommend stopping in DC to check out the Mall, and of course South of the Border . You'll start seeing the signs for it in Virginia, it's pretty hilarious when you get there.
Old 01-17-2007, 02:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've taken some pretty awful road trips before, usually due to lack of preparation. I'm on the east coast, so I'm not sure about specifics of where to stop, but I can give you pretty decent supplies checklist. For a road trip of this magnitude you will need the following:

2 cartons of cigarettes
1 large picnic cooler
1 bag of ice
2 cases beer (domestic, cans)
2 4-packs Red Bull
1 package condoms (optional)
1 functional radar detector
3 bags chips (doritos, fritos)
2 lighters (one backup)
1 portable dvd player
1 cigarette-lighter-adaptor cell phone charger
1 large bottle advil
1 large bottle pepcid complete

[/ QUOTE ]
I can't tell if you're serious or quoting a movie or something, but this post is stellar.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know I'm very new posting here, but this isn't from a movie or anything, and it's actually fairly serious although possibly somewhat exaggerated. But a long road trip with a woman requires a serious level of stress-relief products. A very loud car stereo probably wouldn't hurt either. Thanks for the props,

MB

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf @ beer? I hope that is for the stops.
the ipod w/ books and a VARIETY of music is crucial. also cruise control if youre like me and really really dont need ANOTHER ticket
Old 01-17-2007, 02:46 AM

Hey OP

If you are Canadian, you may need your passport going back into the states. You said you are flying to Vancouver, then back to Oklahoma, and driving back to Vancouver.

You should check about the passport if you don't have one, because with the deadline approaching the wait is pretty long now.

I think the Americans are worried about the crazy Ukranian-Canadian prairie farmers getting twisted out of shape and then invading North Dakota with hockey sticks and curling brooms. Perhaps taking down a grain tower, or something equally rural and radical.

Seriously, it really sucks after all these yeasr of easy passage back and forth between Canada and the US that we now need passports to go to the US. oh well...times have changed I guess.

To you guys in the US, is Route 81 out of Oklahoma to South Dakota, and then Route 90 to Vancouver a bad idea??
Old 01-17-2007, 02:48 AM

key to a good road trip:
sunflower seeds
Old 01-17-2007, 03:21 AM

back and forth to cali for school, im from MN. Dont try the books on tape they almost put me to sleep. Just get a [censored] of song on ur ipod and seeds